Concerns About Survive! Business and Misleading Lead Time Estimates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start by saying I want S!K to succeed. I was an early fan of S!K and purchased a few knives back in 2015. I was an active member of this forum and genuinely like the people here. In one of the first GBU threads that was critical of S!K, I was an aggressive advocate for Guy and S!K. I say all this because I want to make it clear that I am not “anti Survive!” and have supported S!K in the past.

The Starter Program was meant to be a way for S!K to generate capital to grow the business. It was promoted as a one-time effort and as an alternative to traditional debt or equity financing. Although they did not guarantee any delivery dates, they estimated that the 4.7s would be done before Christmas 2015. (they are still in production) Back in early 2015 when the Starter Program was in full swing, I am pretty sure that neither S!K nor the people buying knives expected things to go this slowly.

Traditionally, a business starts when someone makes an initial investment, creates a product, sells it for a profit, reinvests the money they made, creates more product, sells it for a profit, etc. Time is a VERY important factor in any business plan. If you build a business plan with the assumption that it will take week to build a product, and instead it takes you two months, you will probably eat through your initial investment and have to get more money.

Instead of getting a loan or selling shares, S!K got everyone to pay up front. Assuming that S!K did a detailed business plan, they made assumptions on how long it would take to make knives. Based on the estimated deliver dates provided by S!K back in early 2015, they are taking at least 3x longer than expected to produce knives.

Here is the problem. Time = money. S!K seems to be incapable of producing knives in a timely manner, and is burning through the Starter Program money at a faster than expected rate. They continue to add new models to the lineup, do additional pre-sales on existing models and sell of seconds / ugly betties to raise additional cash, all the while pushing the production of the Starter Program knives further into the future.

S!Ks standard response to concerns about delivery times always conveniently ignores the expansion of their product offering, additional pre-sales and inability to maintain a production schedule, and instead focuses on their commitment to quality. I agree that a commitment to quality is an admirable thing. However, if a company does not maintain a profitable business and meet their production schedule, they will not remain open and quality wont mean a damn thing.

Survive! fans keep saying Guy is a great knife maker. I am sorry, but I disagree. Guy designs nice knives, but he has proven that he is a bad business manager, has difficulty managing a supply chain and manufacturing operation, and is incapable of getting product produced in a timely manner. To put it another way, it looks like Guy designed a business model that won’t work, and the knives he has produced were subsidized buy the money paid for the knives that have not been made yet. And he is still responsible for the huge liability of the orders that have yet to be built.

I am writing this now because of the 7/7 email. I find it VERY troubling that S!K is not being forthcoming about lead times when they solicit new business. While I won’t go so far as to impugn their integrity, S!K seems to be using intentionally vague and easily misinterpreted language that hides the fact that the most recent round of 7/7 sales will probably not ship before the end of 2017 (and that is a generous estimate imho).

Let’s also seriously consider why S!K would offer these knives for sale, at a discount. They have already taken in $100k’s worth of sales, the majority of which still have not shipped (and probably wont for YEARS). They have demand for their product and can sell completed units as fast as they can make them. And yet, once again, they are trying to get cash NOW for a product that won’t be delivered for at least year. To most experienced business people, this looks like a company that is really strapped for cash. It also points to mismanagement and an unsustainable business model.

I know that this is a long post. But I think it is important to get this information out there. I want to see S!K prosper, but I don’t believe they can under the current business model. If S!K has any hope of turing this around, they need make major changes. If they continue down this path, i am convinced they will not be able to fulfill all their commitments.

I really, really, REALLY want SURVIVE! to succeed and to be able to sell me knives for the rest of my life. I hope they're able to make the necessary changes to do this :thumbup:

I really, really, REALLY want SURVIVE! to succeed and to be able to sell me knives for the rest of my life. I hope they're able to make the necessary changes to do this :thumbup:

You and I want the same thing. I REALLY want to see everyone that paid get the knives they want. I am just more critical of S!K and less optimistic than you are.

Last edited:
Agreed..
Their inability to provide an estimate for my 2015 order scares me... I get cryptic replies only..

All I see are more pre-orders, while 4.7 orders for many are yet to be delivered..

Eh, I just keep ordering whatever pops up on their webpage.
Everybody has to have a hobby! :)

You and I want the same thing. I REALLY want to see everyone that paid get the knives they want. I am just more critical of S!K and less optimistic than you are.

Yes, absolutely all of us paying customers should get what we paid for!

Optimistic, naive, brain damaged. Folks can draw their own conclusions.

SURVIVE! has become a pretty easy target for a certain crowd here on Bladeforums, so for what it's worth, thanks for not being a giant ass hole while still making your point.

Last edited:
Cash flow is the biggest problem, especially for new businesses. I fear that everything that you pointed out regarding the means by which S!K is trying to get cash flowing is accurate, and this is now alienating what was a very supportive customer base. Clearly not a good scenario for S!K or the once supportive customers.

I'm of the same opinion as ncrockclimb and have expressed my dissatisfaction by canceling orders. Probably not the best course of action for everyone, but my situation allowed me to vote with my money. I hope this will encourage others to speak up without fear of retribution and drive S!K to either stick to, modify, or develop a good business plan going forward to deliver quality knives at good prices.

If everyone does as you suggest Clip, and opts for a refund, then I hate to think where that will drive S!K. I fear that there will be no time (or money) for business planning.

If you cash flow theory is correct, which I think it is, I am a bit worried about my money. What will Survive do if and/or when they get demands for refunds greater than their available cash? I have seen numerous posts with people saying they have a thousand dollars or more tied up with the company. It wouldn't take much to reach a tipping point where they will no longer be able to refund orders. This is the inherent danger of buying so much raw materials and equipment with customer deposits. I hope this doesn't happen and the company can find a way to increase production.

I do like my S! Knives but in the short time I known of them(February) they have only finished one knife. That being the 5.1. They have not completed orders for the 4.7 and shipped a few 2.7's. Love the 2.7 by the way. It's now October. 8-9 months later and with a 3.5 and 4.5 on order I just don't know when I'll see them. They can't get out a medium sized knife out the door so what will happen when the 7.7 or 10 or 12?? Will it take them a year(each model) for to get those orders out? Gotta think about it. It's a ligit question as popular as they have become.

I am a huge fan of their knives, and would have ordered many more if I could actually get them. The longer than expected lead time that I am witnessing has kept me from ordering more. The risk to reward ratio is too great for me. Maybe after I get the one I currently have on order, I will feel differently.

I think that the wait and see attitude is the prudent course of action for everyone who has knives ordered. FDR said it best: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

I have five open orders at the moment and as much as I'd like to add yet another to the list (7/7) I am holding off until I get a couple in hand. I definitely feel the concerns about having so much money tied up for a long amount of time without having anything to show for it. I am a very patient individual and I'm sure S!K will deliver but it's getting harder to justify a new purchase.

This is the reason I only own one Survive. I don't really want to use the secondary market with price hikes, but I don't want to put money down on a knife that will take so long to get to me.

With all do respect, why should this be taken down? Why can't people discuss their concerns on this forum? I haven't seen a single post bashing or intentionally harming the company.

I think that the wait and see attitude is the prudent course of action for everyone who has knives ordered. FDR said it best: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

I would argue that you have to draw the line at some point. Consider all the preorders and Seconds sales that have overshot, with no consequence to the company and no motivation to increase production numbers (like hiring employees).

If Survive has 1k orders pending for a $150 knife each, that's an interest-free $150k loan with the only term being "We'll deliver a knife to you at some point within the lifetime of the company." Clearly you can't put stock in the 15-day shipping timeframe stated on their site, and the canned responses to the preorder and presale inquiries don't provide a firm answer.

So what happens when enough cancel orders and Guy doesn't have enough money to pay his bills?

He's gonna cut and run. This happens too frequently. Don't get fooled folks.

We can’t change the fact that we offered the preorder promotion. If we had known how long it was going to take for the first production runs to finish and how much hand finishing is required, we would not have listed so many models. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere recently, we can’t travel back in time. Hindsight sucks. I can promise that we have learned and we won’t make that same mistake again in the future. For right now, we are doing everything in our power to get these orders fulfilled.
- We have hired someone to help in the office and as soon as she was trained up and self-sufficient I started spending the bulk of my time in the workshop to learn and be as helpful as possible. Once I am fully proficient, we will look at hiring someone who I will train so Guy can keep working on getting your orders out.
- A few times a week we get asked to let people place a preorder and we say no. We stopped taking new preorders. Instead we wait until the blades have finished production and we know exactly what we have and then offer a presale for folks who are ok with a wait in exchange for the guarantee.
- There hasn’t been a Monday sale in a few weeks because we are still getting caught up on those orders. (We are close to having those all out so Monday sales should resume soon, depending on what we have available each week.)
- We have assessed our systems and recently rearranged the workshop so that can be more efficient. With the handle fitment concerns we were having to fix sharpened blades, which was pretty daunting and time consuming. Instead we are taking longer at the beginning of the process to make sure everything comes out good in the end. Now that extra hand work is mostly completed (see our latest Instagram post). We have all of the GSO-4.7 Starter orders built and Guy will be sharpening those over the next few days. The remaining GSO-4.7 preorders will be getting worked on through next week.

We are very close to proving that things are turning around as far as delays.

There have been a lot of good ideas mentioned by the folks here, but they are plans for the future. We have raised prices on the GSO Series and we have plans to offer the SK Series with fewer options and little to no hand finishing. Unfortunately, those are changes that won’t take effect until some point in the future. Right now, we are working on fulfilling those past promises. I am glad to know that so many people are rooting for us and I am looking forward to seeing that future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back