Corona thread. No politics please

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I used to take my oldest son to his surfing competitions in Huntington Beach, when he was a high school sophomore / junior circa 2003-2004. I know how "red" HB is ;) Lots of people have this preconception that the entire of CA is some benevolent hippie tree-hugging state where everyone is indoctrinated by Berkley professors! Apart from Los Angeles and San Francisco which are the most populace and solidly Liberal/Democrat, what you see in that video from Huntington Beach is not an outlier.

The re-inhalation of CO2 argument when wearing a mask as told by that woman is just so super scientific. I really believe that we will lose over 1 million people in this country due to COVID-19 and it won't surprise me if that number goes all the way up to 3 million (2% fatality with 50% infection rate).

It’s interesting to see how massively this virus has changed some people’s lives, how polarizing it is, how both sides are so absolutely certain they are correct and how utterly unchanged others are.

Sometimes I think it’s like I exist in a different world.

Because it has become a wedge issue which is not a problem specific to the USA, but I am very certain that USA leads the entire world in this pro/against, believers/deniers chasm.

Vietnam is a country of over 100 million people which is densely populated. While an emerging market with great growth potential, no one would accuse Vietnam of being a Herculean player on the world's stage, economically or otherwise. It doesn't have the means to come close the healthcare which the U.S could offer its citizen if the U.S wanted to. All that said, read this article if you can be bothered:

https://www.imf.org/en/News/Article...offers-roadmap-for-other-developing-countries

Cliff notes: 352 conformed cases, ZERO deaths! Yup the same Vietnam which was getting the shyte bombed outta it in the 60's and the 70's!

These two guys' comedic instincts and timing is so spot on and natural < combined with the vid's editing >, it had me second-guessing myself at every new encounter if they're serious about a mask crusade OR if they're deliberately crank yankin these locals. They never break kayfabe and it's obvious their "targets" think they're serious about the masks. Good stuff!

FWIW, I now wear two masks when I go out to the shops and the populated areas because I distrust some folks after noticing what and how they wear their masks! I do have a few N95s and KN95s which I tend to cherish like some of my best ammos so I will keep them for the winter and the flu season (the N95 variants are good and do not need doubling up). In the meantime, it is the washable and cotton type masks with the ear loops worn over the 3-layered disposable masks. I don't dispose of my disposable masks but I do spray them with a spritz of isopropyl alcohol and hydrogen-peroxide mixture.

The cotton mask in sz L does not cover my face as it tends to leave some gap just under the moth but the doubling up of the masks keeps me well covered. When the winter comes, I will probably wear a shemagh over the masks for the the trifecta (using this word for TRfromMT). One added benefit of wearing a mask even when I've been walking the dog is that I huff & puff a bit more when we are going up hills which feels like "elevation training". For some reason, I have convinced myself that developing a set of stronger lungs by putting more demands on 'em will probably add an extra layer of protection when it comes to my over all immunity system :rolleyes:

#imnotascientist

FWIW, I now wear two masks when I go out to the shops and the populated areas because I distrust some folks after noticing what and how they wear their masks! I do have a few N95s and KN95s which I tend to cherish like some of my best ammos so I will keep them for the winter and the flu season (the N95 variants are good and do not need doubling up). In the meantime, it is the washable and cotton type masks with the ear loops worn over the 3-layered disposable masks. I don't dispose of my disposable masks but I do spray them with a spritz of isopropyl alcohol and hydrogen-peroxide mixture.

The cotton mask in sz L does not cover my face as it tends to leave some gap just under the moth but the doubling up of the masks keeps me well covered. When the winter comes, I will probably wear a shemagh over the masks for the the trifecta (using this word for TRfromMT). One added benefit of wearing a mask even when I've been walking the dog is that I huff & puff a bit more when we are going up hills which feels like "elevation training". For some reason, I have convinced myself that developing a set of stronger lungs by putting more demands on 'em will probably add an extra layer of protection when it comes to my over all immunity system :rolleyes:

#imnotascientist

And here there are about 3000 people, of which approximately 600-900 a day work across 3 shifts, crossing paths and working in close proximity to one another, sharing facilities and no one is wearing a mask and we’ve magically had 0 cases.

We’ve added a second cleaning crew so the bathrooms and lunchrooms get cleaned 2-3 times a day instead of 1-2. High touch spots get wiped 3x a day and we’ve reduced the amount of people who can share vehicles on site.

We didn’t shut down a single day.

Due to the mask shortages we haven’t even had them for jobs that were entitled to and normally have them for. So if anything were exposed to additional respiratory tract damage from industrial toxins/pollutants.

And here there are about 3000 people, of which approximately 600-900 a day work across 3 shifts, crossing paths and working in close proximity to one another, sharing facilities and no one is wearing a mask and we’ve magically had 0 cases.

We’ve added a second cleaning crew so the bathrooms and lunchrooms get cleaned 2-3 times a day instead of 1-2. High touch spots get wiped 3x a day and we’ve reduced the amount of people who can share vehicles on site.

We didn’t shut down a single day.

Due to the mask shortages we haven’t even had them for jobs that were entitled to and normally have them for. So if anything were exposed to additional respiratory tract damage from industrial toxins/pollutants.

In that case, I may have to wear an extra mask on top, just for your sake :p

#imnotascientist
Just a side note for info:

Don't use alcohol to disinfect and reuse N95 (or P100) masks. It strips the electrostatic charge from the masks.

It's actually used in filter testing specifically to do that, and for particles in the MPP (Most Penetrating Particle) size of 0.3 microns, and SARS-CoV-2 size of 0.125 microns, this decreases the filtering effectiveness markedly (30 - 50+%).

For a little more in-depth info on the different filtration mechanisms (filtering respirators are NOT just sieves, which is why the whole argument of, "The virus is way too small for masks to filter" indicates a person completely ignorant of the subject (much like the woman in that video talking about carbon monoxide).

https://www.thermoporecorp.com/filtration-1

Scientists in some European countries have started conducting tests for SARS-CoV-2 by taking samples of untreated human waste water which run through sewages to the treatment plants:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53257101

Ever since it became known to the scientists that there's such a thing as viral shed in human feces, this insight prompted sewage epidemiology which can warn of spikes a whole week prior to outbreaks which can alert authorities to take action to contain virus's communal spreading. Some earlier tests have been problematic because of the inordinate contaminants in human waste water samples, but tests in Italy have shown the presence of this virus in Italy as early as last December.

fdf7e65b490fed411737846bcbb7d2d5.jpg

d6380c47a797367e1372c783c138a6b5.jpg

As a byproduct of this Corona Virus, Steve Searles AKA the legendary "bear whisperer" from the Mammoth Lake area of Cali is now out of his job (he quit due to budget cuts).

I don't think that the link will open for some or most of you, but if you are not familiar with this legendary wildlife conservationist, look him up otherwise:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/18/science/bear-whisperer-steve-searles.html?surface=home-discovery-vi-prg&fellback=false&req_id=554300710&algo=identity&imp_id=801565851&action=click&module=Science Technology&pgtype=Homepage

Some excerpts:

Mr. Searles, a longtime hunter, was originally hired by the town to kill bears that were causing havoc. Instead, he got to know them, and has worked to show the town and nearby areas that the animal can be trained to avoid people and their belongings. He opposes euthanizing bears that cause problems, preferring shouting and other aversive conditioning to tell bears when they aren’t welcome. He only hazes them if they get out of line, which can mean setting off firecrackers, shouting harsh words or, occasionally, firing shotgun-propelled bean bags at them.

“I never met a bear that couldn’t learn,” he said. “I mean, I don’t try to teach bears geometry or how to ride a unicycle.”

Mr. Searles said he’s shed a few tears and fielded a lot of phone calls in the last week. He said he won’t respond to bear calls without the badge and authority behind it. He’s not sure what the future holds, but like the bears of Mammoth Lakes, doesn’t want to stray too far.

“I’ve been pretty down in the dumps but I went on a bicycle ride up into the lakes basin and thought ‘Hey, you’re living in paradise, bro’,” he said. “I think I’ll be buried here in Mammoth.”

Here in Cali we no longer have the more dangerous brown and grizzly bears although black bears can get to be friggin huge too plus they ain't exactly cuddle bugs. In other parts of Cali where bears can become a major nuisance, resident are allowed to euthanize them if faced with danger and in fear of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back