Corona thread. No politics please

Status
Not open for further replies.
3b8856fb044a7bc77d7a0e0111f03eb9.jpg

I just read another quite worrying article. A few pages back I had posted about what a self inflicted COVID-19 mess we were in as opposed to Vietnam, a much poorer nation of densely populated 95 million souls with not as advanced health system as here in the U.S. In fact the Vietnamese had not reported one single case of COVID-19 related death! Now, it turns out that after almost 100 days of no cases in Vietnam, simultaneous spikes are now suddenly popping up across Vietnam. That country had started to relax its restrictions with restaurants opening up, tourism picking up and activities trending toward normalcy and citizens taking up a more complacent attitudes toward masking up.

Similarly hot spots are springing up across other countries in the Far East including Hong Kong. The surreptitious ways in which this virus outbreaks and keeps rolling is extremely vexing because it is so friggin contagious and extremely dangerous to be constantly exposed to. I wonder if this is the second wave / encore wave in those Asian countries or the virus adapting via mutating?

I just read another quite worrying article. A few pages back I had posted about what a self inflicted COVID-19 mess we were in as opposed to Vietnam, a much poorer nation of densely populated 95 million souls with not as advanced health system as here in the U.S. In fact the Vietnamese had not reported one single case of COVID-19 related death! Now, it turns out that after almost 100 days of no cases in Vietnam, simultaneous spikes are now suddenly popping up across Vietnam. That country had started to relax its restrictions with restaurants opening up, tourism picking up and activities trending toward normalcy and citizens taking up a more complacent attitudes toward masking up.

Similarly hot spots are springing up across other countries in the Far East including Hong Kong. The surreptitious ways in which this virus outbreaks and keeps rolling is extremely vexing because it is so friggin contagious and extremely dangerous to be constantly exposed to. I wonder if this is the second wave / encore wave in those Asian countries or the virus adapting via mutating?
The difference between the virus spread being severely mitigated vs the virus being allowed to spread.

US example. When MI was at the height of its cases and deaths per day, TX still had less than 1/5 the cases. When things began reopening, people threw caution to the wind. In a little over 2 months, TX went from 1/5 the case count in MI, to looking like they will hit 5X MI's case count by this weekend. They also just blew past MI's highest deaths in a single day.

The infectivity of the D614G mutation that first began hitting NY (and probably arrived from Italy) and is now the dominant circulating variant around the globe (based on the GenBank data) is significantly higher than the flu.

LOL yep! I’ve seen plenty of those Jackasses where I live and a few in a sub forum around here. I’m done with Jackass carrying & attempting to explain what common sense is! LOL.. I’m laughing because there really isn’t any thing else to do now! Thanks for the late night chuckles!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's maddening isn't it?

common_sense_-_so_rare_its_a_god_damn_super_power.jpg

It is my opinion that SARS-CoV-2, if not generally yet accepted by now, will proven to be an airborne virus as time goes by. What a novel (pun) idea eh? I mean after all, it's not like we didn't already know that other COVID family pathogens were not airborne :rolleyes: Let take the common cold: infected people exhale, talk, cough and sneeze and in the process spread their germs by droplets which land on surfaces infecting others as they touch infected surfaces and then touch their faces in addition to direct target hits by those infectious droplets (gross). Then there is the aerosolized method of transmission which in this case was initially denied even by some experts, a method which to this date is being debated and contested. I am not a scientist but I have absolutely convinced myself that this virus causing COVID-19 travels through the air, i.e. IT IS FRAKKING AIRBORNE!

It horrifies me when out and about noticing that some people wear what seems to be very inferior masks (better than nothing but still some masks may have efficiency rates as low as 10%) in addition to people wearing masks either do not fit or are worn badly / fitted badly. The N95 / KN95 type masks are still the most efficient masks to wear for those who need and must go out and about whether as a part of their jobs, commitments and/or daily chores. Here in the U.S. we has and still have both the abilities and the capabilities to produce more than adequate such types masks 10 time s over for every man, woman and child but alas... For fark's sake we are sending another Mars Rover (Perseverance) to Mars today so if we have the chops to do stuff like that, we definitely have the chops to produce 3 billion properly fitting masks if we wanted to instead of such masks becoming a free enterprise business on ETSY and your local 7-11 :rolleyes:

Then there are those screaming jackasses! #sad

In other news, Herman Cain aka Mr. 999 was just announced to have passed away from complications due to COVID-19.

#screamlesswearamaskmore

It's maddening isn't it?

View attachment 1387825
Lol. When I first saw this 'Demotivational poster' yeard ago, my first thought was, "That's awesome! I need to get a poster sized version of that".

Well, I told a gal I worked with about it (hadn't been able to find a poster of it at the time), so she printed one up (not poster sized), framed it and gave it to me.:D

It is my opinion that SARS-CoV-2, if not generally yet accepted by now, will proven to be an airborne virus as time goes by. What a novel (pun) idea eh? I mean after all, it's not like we didn't already know that other COVID family pathogens were not airborne :rolleyes: Let take the common cold: infected people exhale, talk, cough and sneeze and in the process spread their germs by droplets which land on surfaces infecting others as they touch infected surfaces and then touch their faces in addition to direct target hits by those infectious droplets (gross). Then there is the aerosolized method of transmission which in this case was initially denied even by some experts, a method which to this date is being debated and contested. I am not a scientist but I have absolutely convinced myself that this virus causing COVID-19 travels through the air, i.e. IT IS FRAKKING AIRBORNE!

It horrifies me when out and about noticing that some people wear what seems to be very inferior masks (better than nothing but still some masks may have efficiency rates as low as 10%) in addition to people wearing masks either do not fit or are worn badly / fitted badly. The N95 / KN95 type masks are still the most efficient masks to wear for those who need and must go out and about whether as a part of their jobs, commitments and/or daily chores. Here in the U.S. we has and still have both the abilities and the capabilities to produce more than adequate such types masks 10 time s over for every man, woman and child but alas... For fark's sake we are sending another Mars Rover (Perseverance) to Mars today so if we have the chops to do stuff like that, we definitely have the chops to produce 3 billion properly fitting masks if we wanted to instead of such masks becoming a free enterprise business on ETSY and your local 7-11 :rolleyes:

Then there are those screaming jackasses! #sad
Medically, the term 'airborne pathogen' has a specific definition which this virus doesn't quite fall under, but it's basically semantics.

The duration which micro-droplets can remain suspended in the air (30+ minutes), basically makes the point/old definition moot.

Personally, I think the WHO and the CDC have thus far, done a really poor job of handling the dissemination of information. When you look at the timeline of this pandemic and the statements that have been made by the talking heads at the WHO and CDC, it's glaringly obvious how the manner in which the information was released has been skewed to paint a particular picture, presumably to prevent the herd from panicking, but at every turn, they've failed to see the pitfalls in telling people half-truths (a lie by omission is still a lie).

Eg.

Instead of:
- "Masks don't work. Please don't buy them, we need them for our HCWs. Focus on washing your hands and not touching your face"

they could have simply stated,

"It's a respiratory disease. Based on the methids of transmission of the other Coronaviruses, we recommend that people wash their hands and avoid touching their faces. In addition, wearing a facial covering can help mitigate the spread. We urge people to not buy N95 respirators and suegical masks, as these are in short supply and we need to prioritize them for our HCWs and First Responders, but even a homemade facial covering such as a t-shirt, bandanna or towel covering the nose and mouth can help greatly reduce the transmission of respiratory diseases".

Now we have to deal with the backlash from the talking heads' mixed messages.

- another one that I found particularly aggravating:
"Testing has shown that heat, humidity and UV exposure will kill the SARS-CoV-2 virus."

They then released data on the half-life of the virus under various conditions, eg. 80f + high UV = a half-life of 90 seconds.

WHY?!!! Why would you use half-life for the public release of information unless you're deliberately trying to sway the clueless and ignorant into a false sense of security. How many laymen actually understand what a half-life really means?! All they hear/read is "Meh, it dies within seconds".

Half-life = the amount of time it takes to reduce the original amount by half.

Either earlier in this thread, or maybe earlier than that, in the Random Thoughts thread, I mentioned the industry term of 'log/logarithmic reduction'. For sterilization purposes, you're looking for at least 4log (99.99%) or 5log (99.999%) reduction.

It takes 17 half-life periods to attain 5log reduction. That "90 second half-life in 80f and direct sunlight" = 27 minutes.

As I noted in the post above, TX went from 1/5 the case count in MI, to 5X the case count in just over 2 months, because far too many people think, "Eh, masks don't work. Besides, it's hot and the middle of summer and all the UV kills this thing in seconds".

Technical paper on the research into how immunotypes and particular genetic differences play a role in the severity of Covid-19 in different individuals
https://science.sciencemag.org/cont...f_chl_jschl_tk__=b9a0bec26ce00caf88a36e45df2e

One of numerous studies being done on 'long-haulers'; patients who continue to experience issues from Covid-19, weeks to months after infection.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...g-haulers-cases-deaths-symptoms-a9611866.html

German study of 100 Covid-19 patients (67 of whom had mild enough cases that they weren't hospitalized, and simply quarantined/ stayed home)
revealed cardiac involvement in 78 patients (78%) and ongoing myocardial inflammation in 60 patients (60%), which was independent of preexisting conditions, severity and overall course of the acute illness, and the time from the original diagnosis
when MRI scans were performed. Median age in the study was 49.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2768916

Promising results from the early trials for the Pfizer/Biontech mRNA vaccine
https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-r...ontech-announce-early-positive-data-ongoing-0

Last edited:
Can't recall if I posted these here yet, but in-person classes will be problematic.

JAMA article about a study of SARS-CoV-2 viral levels in nasopharyngeal swabs of different age groups, showing that yes, kids do exhibit high levels, contrary to the, "kids don't spread it" message.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapediatrics/fullarticle/2768952

Study on an outbreak at a summer camp. Median age of campers was 12. Median age of staff was 17.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6931e1.htm?s_cid=mm6931e1_w

Please note that I am not a scientist in any shape or form, never been one (believe it or not, I do have an engineering degree in my name back there somewhere :eek: :rolleyes: ) and will never be one either. Read on at your risk and / or practice at your own peril:

I have been wondering for a while now as to why it is us here in the U.S who have the highest number of detected / reported Corona Virus cases and deaths (although not the highest per 100K / 1M per population) as compared to some other poorer and less developed nations. I believe that lots of factors go into a very large hodge podge of reasons and explanations but one which IMHO is atop of the heap and rarely ever mentioned is the chronic ways in which our populace is obese, leading to a whole host of other diseases such as hearts disease and diabetes which have also been among the top reasons as to why Americans die, for decades, prior to this COVID-19.

This is not something novel or new which I have come up with as it has been mentioned more often recently but IMO has not been forcefully and repeatedly stated. After all, discussions about telling people that they are fat and unhealthy to start with is not a winning argument which scores positive points! Paradoxically it may turn out that we as a nation are fat because we have stopped consuming enough high quality facts in our dietary regiment. Think on that one for a second!

Rather then getting into a huge dissertation in here, I will tell you about my own struggles with weight and what I have decided to do because whenever I have done this, I have had good results but sadly never continued long enough with this regiment because of the inconvenience factor: I am fast cutting out all the complex carbohydrates such as bread, pasta, rice, and yes even the whole wheat and the brown varieties. The reason? Because of sugar and how sugar raises the insulin level leading to accumulation of fat in our bodies. I have tried the vegetarian and the vegan stuff and although lots of people swear by it, I have found out that a strict vegan / vegetarian dietary lifestyle is simply not for me which causes me to relapse back into my bad old habits simply because the agents of the bad old habits are plentiful in this country. Perhaps if I was living in some remote and inaccessible place where the devil's delights were not plentiful, that sorta dietary lifestyle could've worked.

I just love my eggs (whole with yolk) my milk, cheeses, my butter, creams, my peanut butter (almond, cashews, etc), white meats and red meats in that order plus some other high protein based foods which escapes my mind right now! For me personally, eating in this way gives my more fuel for a longer period of time without the dreaded sugar crash and the cravings for snacking and for grazing throughout the day. Yes, it is very difficult because who doesn't love pizza, beer and all the other "good stuff" but I have decided to leave those "goodies" to y cheat days and guilty pleasures ;)

And lastly, fuck most of those veggie and seed based oils which are now a major staple in our cookings. I rather use lard than most of those (high quality olive oils, avocado oils and coconut oils are the exceptions). Quite honestly most of those vegetable oils are better suited to your car engines than your own human engines! The way oil is produced out of corn, soy, sunflower seeds, grapeseed and a bunch of other nonsense is so processed that actually leads to oily carcinogenic products. This is mainly one of the biggest reasons, i.e, the use of such oils as to why I now avoid restaurant food.

Remember that the key is to search for very high quality, organic and verified products without breaking the bank (yes they do cost more but pays off in the long term because you tend to eat less). Eat and consume in moderation and if you scoff your face with high quality fats because you are a hopeless glutton, don't come running to sue me when you drop dead! TBT, no one has been able to do that yet :p

I was sent a link to a movie called Plandemic Indoctrination. I’m gonna fact check it a little here but it’s it’s accurate, it’s the scariest movie I’ve ever seen.
The video is an interview with conspiracy theorist Judy Mikovits, a disgraced former virology researcher who believes the COVID-19 pandemic is based on vast deception, with the purpose of profiting from selling vaccinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back