Corona thread. No politics please

Status
Not open for further replies.
The antibody tests will show the real picture. I think the numbers will blow our minds.

There's been over 400k travelers from that region since January just before the restrictions and another supposed 400k since it's investigated inception in that area. Who knows how many more from affected countries in Europe. It's been among us for some time. Problem is the growth and lack of immunity is exponential now and very obviously noticeable.

We're not prepared to handle this many ill patients at once. It'll make it's rounds for sure we just need to not all be sick at the same time or else this forum will get quite boring and real quiet.

People are coming forward and realizing they now understand why in the not so distant past there was a spike in pneumonia like deaths that they just wrote off as such. We have doctors were close with in discussion regularly about trends they see around our area. Most of them that we have spoken too since all now think those negative flu tests they've been getting for months may have been it. Shrug

Supposedly O blood types tend to have a greater resistance to getting it and a better chance of having a milder course of the disease. I and my wife and kids are all O’s. I’ve been exposed to it a lot, I think, with a number of confirmed cases in and ancillary to my office. But I’ve just had a slightly sore throat and cough come and go during this. No fever. Much paranoia and anxiety. My wife is a nurse in Manhattan and has even started wearing a mask at home around the kids, and sleeping separately, because so many of her coworkers have come down with it. They have them reusing masks and boiling them to decontaminate them. I dunno. I’ve been Misery’d at home because “one of us has to be healthy” for the kids. But so far my wife doesn’t have symptoms. We have the nanny coming in during the day so I can go upstairs to work. Not an easy situation for the past 3 weeks. Lots of anxiety over myriad issues because of this. I have been drinking a lot of whiskey. I recently discovered that I really like Bushmills.

Last edited:
I'm O- so hopefully that means I can better deal with it IF I get it but I am asthmatic so maybe the two will cancel each other out lol

Is there going* to be any relief for smaller businesses? They announced an $82B relief fund in Canada but I'm not exactly sure how it'll be used our distributed.

I know someone who JUST opened a gym within the last half year and I honestly don't know how his business will survive this. They're saying we'll be in lockdown until July.

Edit: typo*

Last edited:
The range of symptoms is incredible. I have a few friends now that tested positive and none of them are exactly sick like the other.
Just to give you an idea. Mind you they all tested positive for the virus. It's not just an "I think I have it case"

Friend 1: fever never above 100.6 2 days max. severe congestion along with headache. Congestion subsides and extreme weakness sets in with heavy chest. chest heaviness subsides fatigue returns for another day. Fever and fatigue free since. Only other symptom remaining is lack of smell and taste going on 2 weeks yesterday.

Friend 2: high fever better part of five days along with dry cough. Fatigue and severe joint pain. She'll take a day or 2 off think it's over and the fatigue and joint pain shows again. This is now over 2 weeks of these highs and lows.

Friend 3: no fever no cough just heavy chest and overall in exact words "I just don't feel good" gets checked out at the hospital doesn't meet criteria for Corona. Gets discharged. Postmortem county confirmed covid One of the individuals living with him manageable fever 2 days no other symptoms quarantined. It's been about 10 days all others in household symptom free.

Friend 4&5 couple: NYFD gets possible exposure everyone in station gets tested. Most are asymptomatic including him. Tests positive. Pregnant wife is tested because of direct exposure. Tests positive only possible symptom pink eye .

Still so much to learn. This will be one for the history books.

snip...

Is there Hong to be any relief for smaller businesses? They announced an $82B relief fund in Canada but I'm not exactly sure how it'll be used our distributed.

I have to be very careful that my response doesn’t break the no-politics request:

Many smaller businesses without much reserves will simply get screwed. Here in the U.S the smaller business roll out has been a shit show so far. Our cheerleader in chief says one thing, the banks say a completely different things. Nuff said about that!

as for the bigger picture, follow the money is the best indicator! Ever since the announcement of the higher and higher funny money being injected into the economy here in the U.S, the stock market indices at least in here have been on a high trend in the last few days despite horrible weekly unemployment numbers which will inevitably lead to very bad GDP figures for 2020 and possibly beyond. So why are the markets so exuberant you might ask? Because there’s funny money for the mega sized enterprises, the regulatory checks will be pushed aside and the barbarians are already at the gate!

The Pope says coronavirus could be ‘nature’s response’ to climate change.

Clumsy way of saying it but there’s truth to the fact that bat population and their natural habitats have been disturbed by climate change effects, therefor bats are getting displaced and getting much closer to humans and since bats are major carriers of many Coronaviruses, that is never a good thing for our species.

Regarding blood types, I’m O+ and I think that most of my kids if not all, are also O despite their Mom being A ( supposedly a much more at risk blood type). That said, although current statistics show that a higher percentage of type O have shown better immunity, do not mistaken that for invincibility! From the percentages which I have noted, the margins are not that greatly to the O type favor’s to let your guards down. At best it was like 10% differential if even by that much.

Given your profession, you're probably aware; but the tests have yielded a significant number of false negatives (around 30% from what I've seen/heard).

Yes indeed.
I'm hoping I had enough of exposure I developed antibodies.
Hopefully testing for antibodies will be readily available.
As to the false negative even if you are negative and have symptoms just assume you have it.

Be safe, be healthy:thumbsup:

Like I mentioned before, I've heard somewhere that people are not developing lasting antibodies (immunity)...has anyone else seen anything about this?

I've been waking up at 5 AM every day for the last 28 years...

the past month I still wake <without alarm> @ 5 or 5:30-ish...

then I pull the covers back over my head and sleep till about 8...it's refreshing and it's become like a new hobby for me because I haven't slept like this since Jr. High...:)

the breakdown I see ahead will happen when I gotta get back to the 5 AM grind-- it'll be a rough week :confused:, whenever that happens.

I have to be very careful that my response doesn’t break the no-politics request:

Many smaller businesses without much reserves will simply get screwed. Here in the U.S the smaller business roll out has been a shit show so far. Our cheerleader in chief says one thing, the banks say a completely different things. Nuff said about that!

as for the bigger picture, follow the money is the best indicator! Ever since the announcement of the higher and higher funny money being injected into the economy here in the U.S, the stock market indices at least in here have been on a high trend in the last few days despite horrible weekly unemployment numbers which will inevitably lead to very bad GDP figures for 2020 and possibly beyond. So why are the markets so exuberant you might ask? Because there’s funny money for the mega sized enterprises, the regulatory checks will be pushed aside and the barbarians are already at the gate!

My wife said many small businesses are better off cutting their losses now and closing. This thing is going to stick around longer than we'd like and is going to destroy the smaller guys. I try to support the like guys as much as I could but it's really hard when government ordered them to shut down.

Clumsy way of saying it but there’s truth to the fact that bat population and their natural habitats have been disturbed by climate change effects, therefor bats are getting displaced and getting much closer to humans and since bats are major carriers of many Coronaviruses, that is never a good thing for our species.

Extract from research:

The genome of this new virus contains a number of mutations in common with strains of coronaviruses that infect bats.

The most closely related coronavirus is in a Chinese horseshoe bat, the researchers found. But the new virus has gained some unique mutations since splitting off from that bat virus decades ago.

That ancestral virus probably gave rise to a number of strains that infected horseshoe bats and perhaps sometimes other animals.

Good things are better to focus on. I wholeheartedly agree.

It lowers cortisol levels.

This is a good therapeutic approach as long as you don't deny facts and you also adopt safe practices. Turn the news off once in a while and then focus on the finer and/or simpler things in your lives. Cherish it while and as long as you have it ;)

Extract from research:

The genome of this new virus contains a number of mutations in common with strains of coronaviruses that infect bats.

The most closely related coronavirus is in a Chinese horseshoe bat, the researchers found. But the new virus has gained some unique mutations since splitting off from that bat virus decades ago.

That ancestral virus probably gave rise to a number of strains that infected horseshoe bats and perhaps sometimes other animals.

An article from 2017:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-07766-9

Punchline:

And they warn that a deadly outbreak could emerge again: the cave where the elements of SARS were found is just 1 kilometre from the nearest village, and genetic mixing among the viral strains is fast. “The risk of spillover into people and emergence of a disease similar to SARS is possible,” the authors write in their paper.

Who knew? Hmm!

Last edited:
My wife said many small businesses are better off cutting their losses now and closing. This thing is going to stick around longer than we'd like and is going to destroy the smaller guys. I try to support the like guys as much as I could but it's really hard when government ordered them to shut down.

Closing up and abandoning at this stage can have a wide variety of terrible consequences. I would imagine that most small businesses (defined as having up to 500 employees here in the U.S) operate on some form of borrowing and lines of credit so you just can not just close your doors on a whim. There are taxes, payroll taxes and the debt to deal with which are always lagging so most of those monies are still owed. The biz can file for bankruptcy protection but that does not exonerate them from their payroll taxes at the very least. Then the banks will start to collapse if this is done on a large scale as landlords who lease out to those small businesses will not be able to pay on their commercial mortgages and the bank's assets on their balance sheets will be worth crap! Banks will not be able to pay their depositors because you will be surprised to find out that they are only required to keep something like 7% of their deposits in actual cash reserves and many banks I bet you, will even fail that liquidity test!

But you didn't hear it from me in here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back