COTS Project Thread

I guess it is something about winter coming on, axes move up to the front of my mind.

This is kind of a .... well very mildly interesting project .... probably not really. I've had this axe for a long time, had it hung at one point and somewhere along the way pulled the handle and chucked the head in a closet. Probably talked about it in this thread somewhere. I always thought there was maybe material missing from this head because it had a somewhat thick bit. It's clearly marked "3" on the side and it weighs almost exactly 3lbs. I've always kinda had a thing for 3lb axes mostly because all of them that I have are designed so that the side profile of the head is essentially the same as a 3-1/2lb head but they removed the 1/2lb by simply making the whole axe thinner. I like them because they are so slick to clear green brush with. This axe was done differently. Instead of leaving it full size but thinner, they shrunk the whole head. I should have taken a picture of it next to a 3-1/2lb Michigan but it's just the same "shape" reduced in size. Anyway, I needed a project this past weekend to distract me and went to work on another baseball bat blank of Yellow Birch. The Birch is kinda boring looking so I went to the old technique of mixing a tinge of leather dye into my BLO as I was applying it to give it a little bit of a pre-aged appearance.

It's marked Black King Jennison Hardware Co. As always I had a little fun with the swell. 30" overall, 28ish at the hook. I have a small handful of axes that I think are going to need a new fancy handle, and get sent off to a new home, this one included.

The only "progress shot". I used a technique I saw on Facebook - one of those outfits that rehangs axes on custom handles - he cuts out a rough "2-D" handle and hangs the head first, then does the shaping and finishing on the handle. It worked great. I have always left the swell for after the hang of course.
AM-JKLX9hKNBrcmCo-hSfIjjUnaG9DBrUyNYX1hJvkLP2pQ0R_KkIP8zria0V5QGSEroztHA6nnx_XV3l2GI5yGjOKZ_eJywRSXw8A1s8ccLYI8i_fYp1WTuFgFcdMAqpGb66RWo6meLiot1CH9JMvl2QFst=w1000-h464-no

AM-JKLXyvO_4Fvo2Xa4uLJCHqmV7PnGIZQ67fesg9Qu_WJP7i7x3lDdDC5NckpGTVNrWTyreFtIAykfkgSeAlV5Rt74kPeuA6DCqsRnDJmT0JOtNuUxA12AcY1BSrQmrYTwA_ohCce7erXv59jd2XlSxA_2b=w978-h649-no

AM-JKLV9IzSLCdQp1fLlBeJeIf_KD99ERgKl3kwRRRvM5-wCq2c1IR8wyH5f5fPqjIntlbup8zz-ea9c-CnOVWKOksAt-fFk8xQ0qDM9TXT8PWNZDTyTRo-klNDjvNAbOyVac1plJqNv61Bt-35GMyNvVmLf=w978-h649-no

Those are excellent! Never had my hands on a little Jersey like those. Super cool.
I haven't come across many either so when I saw two pop up for sale as a package deal and at a price I would have paid for one hit buy.

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do for handles. I have some hickory for a boys length handle and also some black locusts in a longer hatchet length. Perhaps I'll go for one of each since there are two heads.

I haven't come across many either so when I saw two pop up for sale as a package deal and at a price I would have paid for one hit buy.

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do for handles. I have some hickory for a boys length handle and also some black locusts in a longer hatchet length. Perhaps I'll go for one of each since there are two heads.
Sounds like the right plan to me.

Thanks S Square_peg !

Back