Council Ax, 6 lb, flat-head review

As I was splitting those rounds I got my Council axe stuck. So, instead of struggling with the handle I got the chain saw out and made some
relief cuts. Enough to get a wedge to hold in and begin opening the round up. This worked and I saved my ax haft but during the process of making those cuts (with the grain cuts are hard on a chain saw) my saw jumped into the bit of the ax. This didn't hurt the ax but it broke
teeth on my chain and knocked points off 6 others. Crud! A haft cost 14$ and 2 hours of labor but a 20" chain cost 25$ and 5 mins. of labor.
Ahh, the joys of wood cutting. After I calmed myself down and sharpened the chain I decided it may work for the rest of this season. Then in
April after prices drop on wood cutting items I'll purchase another chain. DM

Last edited:
Yes and they missed manufacturing a 6 lb. axe by 6 ounces. That's a lot of steel lost somewhere. Darn! Why advertise something at this
weight when it's not even close? Within an ounce or 2 of advertised weight and I would have let it go. DM

Last edited:
Last edited:
I will try this.
Plus, I did tap the Collins wedge in some with this Council. No, hay-maker blows.
I noticed it's poll is holding up better now than when I got it (as unheat treated).
I'm convinced the cryogenic treatment improved it's performance. Thanks, DM

Last edited:
David, I have an older Council head that is marked 3 1/2 but actually weighs 4ounces over at 3lbs 12oz. It may or may not have had metal removed before I got ahold of it.

I know a head being under the stated weight is the issue and being heavier than advertised is a First World problem. I wonder how many new production axes scale in at exactly the listed weight?

Also, what would a guy estimate the pick/spike portion of a standard fire axe to weigh?

Have you weighed that one SCT100? I've got the 3 1/2 size stamped like that. It weighs 3lbs 12oz - I don't know how common it is to be that much over stated weight.

XUA8uRO.jpg

I don't know but that spike is substantial and probably could weigh 1 lb.. Certainly, 10-12 oz.. So, my Council ax is a third world problem? I doubt very many axes weigh exactly the advertised weight and I said I was willing to concede that point to a decent miss. I have a 1950's Hults Burks 4 lb. ax and it is stamped such. It's weight is 3 lbs. 15 oz.. I haven't said a word about that one. So, if manufacturing practices could hit that close 79 years ago then... DM

I don't know but that spike is substantial and probably could weigh 1 lb.. Certainly, 10-12 oz.. So, my Council ax is a third world problem? I doubt very many axes weigh exactly the advertised weight and I said I was willing to concede that point to a decent miss. I have a 1950's Hults Burks 4 lb. ax and it is stamped such. It's weight is 3 lbs. 15 oz.. I haven't said a word about that one. So, if manufacturing practices could hit that close 79 years ago then... DM

I was commiserating with you finding your new production axe isn't as heavy as marked.

David, I have an older Council head that is marked 3 1/2 but actually weighs 4ounces over at 3lbs 12oz. It may or may not have had metal removed before I got ahold of it.

I know a head being under the stated weight is the issue and being heavier than advertised is a First World problem. I wonder how many new production axes scale in at exactly the listed weight?

Also, what would a guy estimate the pick/spike portion of a standard fire axe to weigh?

I was just thinking this. A great option for the frugal that want a great splitter could find an old fire axe head with an abused pick and grind it off. Those old ones are pretty convex as well. I'd guess the pick to weigh 8 ounces give or take.

jb, Yes, Could do it. My uncle was a Fireman and put in 34 years with his department. He was given a Fireman's axe w/ the spike at his retirement reception. I've
held this ax and could not find a makers stamp on it but it's weight is substantial and it has convex cheeks. My guess is it would weigh close to 7 lbs.. Not something I'd care to fell a tree with. But if you needed to open a hole in a roof for a back burn it could easily do it. Council's site lists the weight for the
firemen's ax at 6 lbs. w/ the spike. I suspect there is my missing 6 ozs., it was in the spike and they did not change their advertising statement between the 2 axes. I've come to realize it doesn't matter. It is still a very good splitter at 5 lbs. 10 oz.. DM

Last edited:
Miller, some good photos. I'm thinking your True Temper was a 6 pounder, with a soft poll too. Someone really put it to the test. More than I
would do, by merely splitting rounds. DM

Miller, looking at your photos I noticed your 6 lb. does not have the cheeks the Council or my Hults has. So, made a little different. DM

Miller, some good photos. I'm thinking your True Temper was a 6 pounder, with a soft poll too. Someone really put it to the test. More than I
would do, by merely splitting rounds. DM

Hi Dave

I believe the above Kelly I posted was once a fireaxe with pick, however someone in its life previously decided to cut off that pick.

The head weight before hanging was just over 5 1/4lbs. Now with haft, it's just over 5 7/8lbs.

It's a mean axe as it is, and doesnt stop once in swing, but I do wish it were still the fireaxe it was made to be.

My dad too, is a retired fireman. :thumbsup:

If that's the case, the pic would weigh 12 ozs. to make it a 6 lb. axe.
Oh, no-- don't even think about stopping the swing once you start. It's going to deliver a hay-maker blow.
Being a Fireman is a good career. They offer lots of training, stable pay, with a lot of time off and you can retire in 20 years. DM

Back