1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 4 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Benchmade Limited Edition 319DLC-1801 Proper, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 26!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Matt "Charlie Mike" Freeman passed away unexpectedly last weekend. We have various threads posted in both the General & Community forums, please share your memories:

RIP Charlie Mike

A Go Fund Me has been started to help cover his funeral expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/cmftw-for-matt-f

Council Ax, 6 lb, flat-head review

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by David Martin, Nov 23, 2018.

1. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    It definitely was.

Miller '72 likes this.
  2. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    I just wish I knew the reason why they cut it off...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Miller, 5 lb. 14 oz. on a Hanson spring scale in your hardware store. Are all those stickers from ax handles you bought? DM

A17 and Miller '72 like this.
  4. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Yes they are...axe, hatchet, hammer, steel rake and a few things in between;)

At the moment I am unable to safely (get away with weighing an axe or tool) use my wifes kitchen scale...she is home :D

5. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Ha, ha. An uncertified scale. I have to be careful venturing into my wife's kitchen. Her space, you know. DM

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Miller '72 likes this.
  6. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Ok, this is the last of those rounds I had loaded in my pick-up. It takes 3 large rounds (20"X 12-14"ea.) to fill this wheel barrow, - heaping.
    About 14 cu. ft. each load and our wood box can hold 2 large loads. This will last us through a 5 day winter storm. Longer if the days are
    mild. On some of these I used both my Council ax & my Hults plus 2 wedges to get them split. Today was a cold, blowing winter day. With 15-25 mph winds out of the North and cloudy. A chance of snow tonight, going down to 25*. So, wife's house stays warm. DM
    splittingCA.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019 at 9:16 PM
  7. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Good exercise. I'm envious.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

A17 likes this.
  8. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Right on David. Carhartt is well-wearing and warm. Double-wheeled barrows,
    [​IMG]

I'm envious of your view.

Trailsawyer and Miller '72 like this.
  9. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    @marchone , it was good exercise. It took me 3 hrs. work to split this one wheel barrow load. I had to force the knots to give in. I'm in good
    health and all my oak is split for now. We have hot coffee and a warm house and I'll go at it again, another day using my Council ax. DM
    added: The first 2 rounds split in less than 1 hour. The last round took 2 hours.
    :eek:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 at 1:12 PM
  10. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    @Agent_H , ha, right. I have on a heavy long sleeve shirt under that plus a tee-shirt and it was just enough when I pulled my hood up.
    My dogs got cold and stayed in the wood barn out of the wind, watching. Those mountains get snow covered several times during the winter and they will look like the Alps. So, a good day to be out working. DM

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 at 9:22 AM
    Trailsawyer, Miller '72 and Agent_H like this.