CPK and Whisky (or other vices), a pictorial

LLgA1ys.jpg

Well I want tasting notes on that one. That's one of my favorite breweries.

If you like the stout that this whiskey is named for, you will like this one. I think they did a good job at making an ale-forward whiskey.

I’m pretty terrible with putting words to my tasting notes so I’m going to quote someone else’s. I’m in agreement, for what it’s worth.

Appearance: Burnt umber/cinnamon

Nose: The nose is bold and syrupy, yet it also has that beer yeast note. The Rolling Thunder Imperial Stout impacts the nose of the whiskey a lot. Compared to the plain Dead Guy Whiskey from Rogue, I find heavy dark chocolate and coffee. It seems that the stout turns the normal vanilla and caramel into cinnamon brown sugar and raisin.

Palate: The mouthfeel is hot and oily, but that goes away with a bit of water or ice. The whiskey definitely tastes like a stout. Underneath the heat from the ABV is spicy cinnamon with smoked vanilla. The palate then moves into bitter dark chocolate and coffee beans, which gives a welcomed dryness. The sweetness comes back with raisin and fig, and maybe a little muscovado. The finish is malty and creamy, like the head on a pint of beer.

Back