CPK Behemoth Chopper

Got to use my BC to take down 2 small trees. At first, the plan was to use a Silky Big Boy, but the trees had a lot of branches, that were snarled in creepers.

I figured I could use the BC like a machete, to clear the branches off, and cut the creepers (which held up one tree, after sawing the base through with the Silky saw).

As large and thick as it is, the BC swings VERY well for this purpose. Wouldn't be my first choice for clearing long grass-type stuff, but it worked GREAT on a combo of branches and creeper vines.

The Terotuf handles provide very good grip and retention. Haven't put a lanyard on it yet, but I had no worries, at any time, while swinging it, that it would slip from my hand. The palm swells, and the flared end of the handle just lock it in my grip (and I really like the grippiness of Terotuf).

When it came to chopping through the trunks, without needing to overpower the swing, the blade bites DEEP. That extra heft and length, definitely increases the bite with a medium power swing, vs the MC and LC (or Busse B10).

Kudos to CPK! Love this thing!

Now for the hard part... I've always been a fan of the Large Camp Knife category (~9" or bigger blade). This is even bigger than what I usually carry (though I've carried up to 24" Latin-style thin blade machetes, and a British, 12" thick-bladed machete, in the boonies in Asia).

I'd thought that the MC was my new LCK, being a good size for a Large do-all. Now I'll need to play with the BC more, to see if the added power+reach offsets it potentially being too cumbersome for some of the up close tasks I've learned to handle with 9-10" blades.

It's really not that heavy, or hard to swing for extended periods. Chopping the 2 trees + limbing + chopping the vines to get the trees and branches clear only took about 10-15 minutes, and I was surprised that I literally didn't break a sweat. Hmmmm... decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

Ybnc0fC.jpg

aFB7EjZ.jpg

Looks to me like you finally received that GrogMeister sheath which had been waiting for you, like about a year :D But I'm sure it's for an HDFK ;)

sho nuf- and it is really nice and well made. Was kinda hoping for an antique micarta hdfk to go with it, so I'll just have to keep dreaming:)

Back