CPK Kephart

I have owned more than one example of both knives. To me, the Kephart is like the ultimate camp knife. Maybe a jack of all trades and a master of none. And IMO it slices very, very well. In fact, IMO, it's the best substitute for the CPK Potato Knife if you don't already have one of those (I do 😀).

My advice if you want an FK2 is not to buy a Kephart as a next-best-thing substitute. It isn't. They are both terrific knives, but totally different, IMO. FK2s show up from time to time on the "CPK: Buy, Sell, and Trade" thread here. In fact, I have one I've never used and have thought about offering it there (no promises on that). I'm sure others here have one they might let go at some point (pun: noted).

Whatever you decide . . . good luck!

I have owned more than one example of both knives. To me, the Kephart is like the ultimate camp knife. Maybe a jack of all trades and a master of none. And IMO it slices very, very well. In fact, IMO, it's the best substitute for the CPK Potato Knife if you don't already have one of those (I do 😀).

My advice if you want an FK2 is not to buy a Kephart as a next-best-thing substitute. It isn't. They are both terrific knives, but totally different, IMO. FK2s show up from time to time on the "CPK: Buy, Sell, and Trade" thread here. In fact, I have one I've never used and have thought about offering it there (no promises on that). I'm sure others here have one they might let go at some point (pun: noted).

Whatever you decide . . . good luck!
Thanks.

If Kephart slice better than FK2, in my book this ability makes it better knife than FK2. Of course blade shape and handle ergonomy is imporant. I can more or less understand how the blade shape will impact my use, but handle is a different story. Compared to FK2, is Kephart as (or close) comfortable to use?

Hi guys.

I am undecided about today's Kephart sale. I want a field knife and I think FK2 might be a better knife than Kephart but I am not too sure if we will see any FK2 soon.

I am not very keen on the Kephart due to mainly the grind and the design. I prefer good slicing knives and "experimental grind" seems to work against the cutting performance (at least that's what I think). I understand it is good for splitting (which I do not use my knives for) but this not a priority for me. Also the tip is not very pointy, which is again against how I use my knives. I like pointy tips for detail work. Another issue could be the handle shape. Yes, it is might work but surely FK2 seems to be more comfortable?

Well I said all of these things, so you might think why I am even bothering with CPK Kephart. Well, FK2 might not be an option and $250 is damn good buy for a CPK made knife. So it if works as good (or even close) as FK2 in the field, I might just go for it. I read the whole thread but there is not much about how the knife performs in the field. So, I thought I might ask for an update about it's use in the field. I know only an hour or so left for the Kephart sale, but I am still on the fence and I thought I was able to make my mind until the sale, which appreatently could not. So asking for some help (encouragement or discouragement for the sake of waiting a better CPK).

As the last poster, the FK2 and Kephart are amazingly different. The FK2 has a very cozy handle.

However, one misconception needs to be summed up immediately, the Kephart is the better slicer of the two and I owned a thin, hard grind FK2 which was a slightly better slicey version than normal. The FK2 is not intended to be a thin, slicey knife. It slices very well for a stout field knife but it is far from a thin slicer. The Kephart isn't a thin slicer either but it is much better as a food knife than the FK2. Food slicing is my standardized test for determining how "slicey" a knife is as much of the resistance of cutting material comes from friction on the cheeks amd flats of the blade. Neither cut an apple without breaking it 1st but the Kephart does much better.

The Kephart is more in line with hunting knife thickness, not delicate but not overbuild and darn near unbreakable. You would be hard pressed to actually break the Kephart though. The FK2, outside of prying something, I don't think you would break it. I put the FK2 into the "overbuilt" category as I don't see any reasonable way you will catastrophically damage the blade and it will be supremely reliable, especially with D3V.

I like the Kephart more personally as the belly on the FK2 wasn't my "ideal" for a field knife and I wanted the lower tip. I haven't yet tried a DEK but pretty sure that would address my minor quip with FK2.

If you were local, I would let you handle the Kephart. I don't own an FK2 anymore.

Last edited:
Thanks.

If Kephart slice better than FK2, in my book this ability makes it better knife than FK2. Of course blade shape and handle ergonomy is imporant. I can more or less understand how the blade shape will impact my use, but handle is a different story. Compared to FK2, is Kephart as (or close) comfortable to use?
IMO, the big difference between the 2 IS the handle. The blade geometry plays a part, but where the FK2 REALLY shines, is for bushcraft/woodworking where you're doing cutting tasks that apply significantly more pressure.

The FK2 handle excels at that, allowing you to keep carving, shaving, making feathersticks etc. for longer durations without hotspots and before hand fatigue begins to be an issue. This is also the biggest improvement over the FK1. The FK1's handle scales are flatter and easier to conceal or wear in scout carry while driving etc., but the FK2's handle is more comfortable in use when applying more pressure.

The Kephart is Nathan's homage to the original design by Horace, but the original design was subject to the limitations of the time (eg. No 3D machining for handle scales allowing for mass reproduction of contoured handles).

That said, if you're not really going to be using it on tasks where you're applying more pressure, the Kephart cuts/slices quite well. For my backwoods preference, if I'm not taking my favorite CPK of all: the MC, then it's the FK2.

Thanks.

Handles are amazingly different. Have you ever handled a Becker BK62 with the tall, flat profile? The CPK Kephart is very similar. The FK2 feels much more "modern", for lack of a better word. It's much more sculpted and is very comfortable. I find the Kephart a little more nimble in hand but the FK2 better for harder work whereas the Kephart does well with slicing work. The FK2 handle begs to be bared down on, the Kephart not as much.

As theblast poster, the FK2 and Kephart are amazingly different. The FK2 has a very cozy handle.

However, one misconception needs to be summed up immediately, the Kephart is the better slicer of the two and I owned a thin, hard grind FK2 which was a slightly better slicey version than normal. The FK2 is not intended to be a thin, slicey knife. It slices very well for a stout field knife but it is far from a thin slicer. The Kephart isn't a thin slicer either but it is much better as a food knife than the FK2. Food slicing is my standardized test for determining how "slicey" a knife is as much of the resistance of cutting material comes from friction on the cheeks amd flats of the blade. Neither cut an apple without breaking it 1st but the Kephart does much better.

The Kephart is more in line with hunting knife thickness, not delicate but not overbuild and darn near unbreakable. You would be hard pressed to actually break the Kephart though. The FK2, ourside of prying something, I don't think you would break it. I put the FK2 into the "overbuilt" category as I don't see any reasonable way you will catastrophically damage the blade and itbwill be supremely reliable, especially with D3V.

I like the Kephart more personally as the belly on the FK2 wasn't my "ideal" for a field knife and I wanted the lower tip. I haven't yet tried a DEK but pretty sure that would address my minor quip with FK2.

If you were local, I would let you handle the Kephart. I don't own an FK2 anymore.
Excellent post. And I also had a couple of thin-and-hard FK2s and echo your thoughts on that model.

Last edited:
M murat1983 - don't forget the DEK1. Same thickness as the Kephart (good slicer), same blade length as the thicker FK2; the DEK1 also has a very ergonomic handle, albeit a bit smaller than the FK2.

I love all three. There is something to be said about the simple handle of the Kephart, it's very easy to rotate in your hand. Also - this one is weird maybe - the Kephart doesn't scare people, kind of like the Swiss Army Knife of fixed blades :)

Let me say it like this: if you use the knives in the kitchen, it's easier to debone a fillet with the DEK1, and easier to slice cheese or bread with the Kephart (also because it's a little longer).

Thanks for all the input. It seems Kephart is better suited for my applications. I will try my chance to get one.
There was this one in the UK, not sure if it got snagged.

For sale CPK Kephart in D3V.

Never used, never sharpen

Looking for $300

****Please note - I am based in UK and would rather sell within UK or continental Europe however I am willing to ship to US if you willing to cover shipping and any custom payment***View attachment 1753236

M murat1983 - don't forget the DEK1. Same thickness as the Kephart (good slicer), same blade length as the thicker FK2; the DEK1 also has a very ergonomic handle, albeit a bit smaller than the FK2.

I love all three. There is something to be said about the simple handle of the Kephart, it's very easy to rotate in your hand. Also - this one is weird maybe - the Kephart doesn't scare people, kind of like the Swiss Army Knife of fixed blades :)

Let me say it like this: if you use the knives in the kitchen, it's easier to debone a fillet with the DEK1, and easier to slice cheese or bread with the Kephart (also because it's a little longer).

I sliced up a ripe tomato the other day with my DEK1. I was surprised how well it sliced.

Thanks for all the input. It really helped me to make up my mind.

I scored a Kephart, so hopefully I will experience how well it cuts (or not) first hand soon. I am not bought into hard use knife thing. I like my knives to splits atoms and choppers or axes to splits logs :) Hopefully we will see thinner high performance cutting knives from CPK soon once they get on with CruWear and MagnaCut. I think 60.5-61 might be a little bit soft for very thin knives. Perhaps not, but certainly harder the better.

There was this one in the UK, not sure if it got snagged.
Thanks for the head up. I saw that but it was not very appealing for me due to the handle material. Normally I am OK with natural micarta colour variations, but for some reason, CPK natural micarta colour puts me off. May be I need to see one in real but I will not risk it until I see one.

Last edited:
Is this thread too old to resurrect? I snagged a D3V Kephart today and am really looking forward to building my first camp fire with it in 2024. The season is nigh!

Never too old. The Kephart might be one of CPK's more "mundane" offerings but you won't find a better production Kephart out there and I will even say that it beats the pants off most custom efforts as well. It gets a bit lost amongst all the sexiness that CPK has to offer but it is a superb knife.

yrWl7P3.jpg

Back