CPK Pet Thread

Here’s my buddy Bear, although he’s been gone some months now, not a day goes by I don’t think of him. He was that one in a million , we had such a bond between us. It was almost as if we knew what each other was thinking. I rescued him at 6 weeks old, never knew exactly what breed(s) he was. He had the kindest soul not an aggressive bone in him and smart so smart ! He was 17 when I lost him, I’ve had so many dogs and pets but he was just special :)
950DD990-1BFE-4F3F-AF0F-377CF3746A5E.png 5D551454-C3BE-4F71-8F4C-B8F9E607A30A.png 4FCF84B8-C73B-4DF4-8749-13074694E24F.png

Well after some time gone by, I found this guy :) Meet Odin he’s 18 weeks old a Norwegian elkhound. I got him at 7 weeks old and currently a work in progress lol. But he’s really a seeet Heart ,but those puppy teeth lol.
CEEB126F-250F-4A45-9866-520B827DF76E.png 40DB790D-0581-480F-8379-2E40C0A7EF52.png
1EF75CE5-022B-4A31-8241-60B18769FF0E.png E79F01BF-16EE-4B89-AC99-61D0E7050131.png

Here’s my buddy Bear, although he’s been gone some months now, not a day goes by I don’t think of him. He was that one in a million , we had such a bond between us. It was almost as if we knew what each other was thinking. I rescued him at 6 weeks old, never knew exactly what breed(s) he was. He had the kindest soul not an aggressive bone in him and smart so smart ! He was 17 when I lost him, I’ve had so many dogs and pets but he was just special :)
View attachment 828087 View attachment 828088 View attachment 828089

Well after some time gone by, I found this guy :) Meet Odin he’s 18 weeks old a Norwegian elkhound. I got him at 7 weeks old and currently a work in progress lol. But he’s really a seeet Heart ,but those puppy teeth lol.
View attachment 828090 View attachment 828091
View attachment 828092 View attachment 828093

From 6 weeks to 17 years old, that's a heck of a run! We had a Norwegian Elkhound when I was little, wonderful dog.

My favorite person is a dog. I've had Gypsy since she was 6 weeks old and she just turned 11 in October. I've never been a big fan of little dogs but she doesn't seem to know she's little so maybe that's why I don't mind.
6OYMaKO.jpg

She wasn't near as happy with me when she had to wait to finish her Wendy's burger on Christmas.

TTmgwSc.jpg

Loki is a rescue that I've had for 3 1/2 years. I'm pretty sure he's a catahoula but I'm not positive. He's not the brightest sometimes but he is definitely one happy fella. For some reason when he sits sometimes he sits back on his butt with his paws in the air like a meerkat and it's hilarious but he never does it when I can get a picture.
pGNVCsD.jpg

4kXXB5J.jpg

From 6 weeks to 17 years old, that's a heck of a run! We had a Norwegian Elkhound when I was little, wonderful dog.

Bear had a great run and great life , yes he did :)

That’s great to know as this is my first elkhound.

Great pics ! Your pups are really cute !

Yeah the insurance seems silly until you've spent thousands of dollars and you are trying to figure out what more you can do to save your best friend. Then again, I don't have insurance on the current dog. I think it is important to ask yourself how much are you willing to spend on a given pet. If that number is high, get insurance.

So, anyone have pet insurance?

My agency keeps Mortality Insurance on my K9 - covers our purchase price of the K9. It requires a yearly physical and assessment, signed off by the Vet - even tho I take the dog in bi-annually for standard check ups/blood work.

BTW, green price (no training) on a working dog for LE right now is $7500. Fully trained and certified w/handler, $15,000. I train our K9s (and some other agencies) and certifications are covered under my national membership to an accredited K9 association. I use to think $15k was crazy money, but personal service dogs (real ones) like a Seeing Eye Dog, the price for dog/training can be in the $60k range.

Back