CPK Survival Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always find myself checking for updates in this thread. Has there been any discussion on what type of tip will be on this ?
I read it will be around 6.5 blade length, but will it have a swedge, clip point, or drop point ? I kinda like a nice short swedge on a blade that length but that's just me. Can't wait to see this one :)

I'm pretty certain that the swedge was ruled out from the very outset because that would not lend itself very well to a "survival knife" which is the principle theme of the CPK-FK. Lorien had mentioned that the idea behind this one is a one knife to do it all sorta concept if truly stuck somewhere with one knife to be had!

I'm pretty certain that the swedge was ruled out from the very outset because that would not lend itself very well to a "survival knife" which is the principle theme of the CPK-FK. Lorien had mentioned that the idea behind this one is a one knife to do it all sorta concept if truly stuck somewhere with one knife to be had!

Ok, so if swedge is ruled out was there any mention of what it might be ? A nice solid drop point could be cool :)

Ok, so if swedge is ruled out was there any mention of what it might be ? A nice solid drop point could be cool :)

Again I wouldn't know for certain but Lorien had something mentioned something to the effect that he was fond of the Falkniven A1 concept as a survival knife (I guess erogs and size wise?). My guesses would be nothing but speculations but the idea of something in the A1 blade length realm perhaps a tad longer (6.75-7.25ish?) since there's going to be a choil, plus the Nathan CPK genius when it comes to geometry, grind, heat treat, super steel, awesome handle scales and made here in the USA, gives most if not all of us the chills and the tickles :)

These pics are a little old but it's the most recent I have.

98294dd2fa5326cd9809fb22cc82b080.png
3e1a45cf540e0789b38d63390392b2bc.png

Hopefully this doesn't ruffle any feathers as AFAIK the design is not final.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the pics I saw it was a drop point.

This is sounding like one solid built knife :)

That looks awesome so far !!! The finished product should be amazing !
Thanks for the Area 51 spy pic :):)

Last edited:
Again I wouldn't know for certain but Lorien had something mentioned something to the effect that he was fond of the Falkniven A1 concept as a survival knife (I guess erogs and size wise?). My guesses would be nothing but speculations but the idea of something in the A1 blade length realm perhaps a tad longer (6.75-7.25ish?) since there's going to be a choil, plus the Nathan CPK genius when it comes to geometry, grind, heat treat, super steel, awesome handle scales and made here in the USA, gives most if not all of us the chills and the tickles :)

I like the A1, mostly because it is so carefully considered. Everything about the A1 consistently speaks to an objective. No froofroo
that being said, I don't necessary share every design objective that the designer(s) of the A1 had. Some of them are notable, some not so much
it is the focused objective, consistency of meeting it, and the manufacturing execution to match that's more inspiring than the final product
I had an A1, and sold it. I actually don't really like that knife very much, but I do appreciate it

Nate and I talked a little bit about renaming this knife, and some very weird ideas came up, which happens pretty much every time we get together :)

so, just in case you were wondering why I edited the title, that's why

Nate and I talked a little bit about renaming this knife, and some very weird ideas came up, which happens pretty much every time we get together :)

so, just in case you were wondering why I edited the title, that's why

Some of us do understand the logic behind the discussions about renaming it and taking out the initials SK out of the tile of this thread ;)

So my biggest off topic question is ...

What type of Survival knife is this going to be?

Saturday night 2 large pizza survival

Zombie apocalypse survival

Natural disaster survival

Urban insurrection/ chaos survival

Bear grills camera camping

Les shroud style survival

Camp survival

Couch collector survival

Evil Dead Necronimican survival

All of the above?

Ps what's the estimated blade length ? Looks to be about 8"

Last edited:
I make my living teaching wilderness survival & bushcraft skills and this one isn't sticking with me. I would have loved to see some high performance tool for real wilderness survival applications.

I make my living teaching wilderness survival & bushcraft skills and this one isn't sticking with me. I would have loved to see some high performance tool for real wilderness survival applications.

I'd appreciate knowing your thoughts as to what is ideal from where you stand, and how what you've seen up til this point doesn't meet your criteria for a high performance, real wilderness survival applications tool:thumbup:

So my biggest off topic question is ...

What type of Survival knife is this going to be?

Saturday night 2 large pizza survival

Zombie apocalypse survival

Natural disaster survival

Urban insurrection/ chaos survival

Bear grills camera camping

Les shroud style survival

Camp survival

Couch collector survival

Evil Dead Necronimican survival

All of the above?

This is one hell of a list. I am impressed and entertained at the same time.

I got the impression the name change was being thrown around in part because the knife was not designed to be a hardcore bush knife that would suit anyone in any climate, as I don't think that really exists. I mean sure you might find one strapped to a unicorn some day, but for the average person, there will be a tool they prefer for the way they like to do things in their climate, and their skill set, level of knowledge and physical attributes.

I mean, providing constructive criticism is something most people are supposed to be able to do before they leave grade school, but as I am sure you have seen around the internet, it is a skill seriously lacking.

Here is the survival knife I bought for my wife, most likely to save her life or the life someone else where she normally goes and even when she isn't, with her physical attributes and skill set:

images

I'd appreciate knowing your thoughts as to what is ideal from where you stand, and how what you've seen up til this point doesn't meet your criteria for a high performance, real wilderness survival applications tool:thumbup:

First of all some things I love about CPK:
- the emphasis on geometry & heat treatment as well as steel testing
- some well thought-out designs (e.g. LC, EDC, Vegetable Knife..)

In my opinion, those designs seem to be very suitable for professionals in their field (e.g. construction & forestry worker, arborist, chef..). This 'survival knife' on the other hand is, in my opinion, just 'another big knife' which will be handled by some Joe Blow on his annual overnighter to chop and baton stuff. The Field Knife and the Utility Fighter already fit that bill perfectly. You get those kind of knives almost everywhere. The market is oversaturated by those knives. They clog up the shelves.

Don't get me wrong. You'll be able to survive with such a knife but I would have loved to see a more 'professional', more simple knife. Like some Tommi (rhomboid) Puukko, with that barrel handle shape, some acute thin geometry with a tiny microbevel made from Delta 3V. A knife for well-trained educated professionals with an emphasis on wood processing/carving, something you can carry almost everywhere at anytime, a knife you would love to work with when you're setting up a trap line, building implements, processing food, making fire and so on.

No Rambo, not overbuilt, no jimping, no choil. Just pure performance.

Such a knife made from modern materials.. very rare to find.

In my opinion, those designs seem to be very suitable for professionals in their field (e.g. construction & forestry worker, arborist, chef..). This 'survival knife' on the other hand is, in my opinion, just 'another big knife' which will be handled by some Joe Blow on his annual overnighter to chop and baton stuff. The Field Knife and the Utility Fighter already fit that bill perfectly. You get those kind of knives almost everywhere. The market is oversaturated by those knives. They clog up the shelves.

Don't get me wrong. You'll be able to survive with such a knife but I would have loved to see a more 'professional', more simple knife. Like some Tommi (rhomboid) Puukko, with that barrel handle shape, some acute thin geometry with a tiny microbevel made from Delta 3V. A knife for well-trained educated professionals with an emphasis on wood processing/carving, something you can carry almost everywhere at anytime, a knife you would love to work with when you're setting up a trap line, building implements, processing food, making fire and so on.

So your complaint is that it isn't a Puukko made from modern materials?........................Maybe CPK will make a Puukko down the road but that isn't what they were aiming for with this knife.

You will be able to do all the things you listed with the SK just fine by the way!

ok, now that is an altogether different kind of animal than what we're developing here, that I wouldn't necessarily categorize as a 'survival knife'. Definitions are a difficult thing to get a handle on, as everyone interprets things in their own way. In this case, something like the Fallkniven A1 and others of that ilk, which are categorized as survival knives, was a part of the inspiration for this knife. It is designed for Joe Blow and his overnight camping trips, and for anyone who wants a burly, sturdy, yet compact-enough knife that possesses the manufacturing quality that CPK is known for. The reason the market is so strong for knives of this type, is because they can do a lot of things, and people want them.

all that being said, Nathan has a prototype 'bushcraft' knife that I had someone else make for me. It has many of the attributes you've listed, and while it overlaps the EDC and the Field Knife in some respects, it is definitely tailored more to the bushbum's needs. The demand for this kind of knife is not as strong as it could be, perhaps because CPK has yet to develop one ;)

Didn't think I was going to start a knife fight. Ps always bring a gun to one of those.

I was looking for a few chuckles. To me it looks good. A big knife can do most of what a smal knife can do, so this looks just fine. Why I would trust this knife is because of CPK heat treat.

The only real survival knife there is ...... is the knife you have on you when you need to survive. I would trust CPK no matter which model I had.

You're a man after my own heart, we're of a similar mind there. That said, not every knife needs to be a sports car, some people like a sport utility truck they can beat on with the knowledge it will never break. I personally prefer thinner geometry in my own knives, but I appreciate some people need to rely on their tools in ways that are different than me. For example, a soldier may want to know their knife can pry open a glove box without risking damage and can pry open a door or open a hole in a masonry wall without failing. There can be times when an "appropriate" tool isn't on hand and you make due with what you have on you. These are good applications for 3V and good design/execution, but they're going to be pretty stout.

Edit to add: I use an old Shiv to cut open shipping crates and just cut through the nails. It's actually pretty quick and easy. Much simpler than prying them out. But you can't do that with a thin little EDC...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back