CPKitchen

For me this knife will get all the consideration it’s due based on Lorien and CPKs reputation alone, but if it was a Tater Slayer I’d buy at least 2 for me and possibly a couple as gifts. There are a ton of good chef’s knive available and I’ve got enough to last the rest of my days. That Tater Knife though…you don’t see many if any out there like that.

I dropped the knife off with Edward this morning, and will pick it up in a week. He's got two enormous slabs of beef to cut up tomorrow, so my timing couldn't be better. His initial impression of the knife was better than expected- he is a grouchy ole chef who doesn't mince words, so a thumbs up from him actually means something. He liked the overall weight, the balance, and the handle design- particularly the way it accommodates and encourages a pinch grip. He cut up a bit of cured beef, (juniper and rosemary infused- yum!) which is very dense and hard and he liked the way it cut.

No attaboys, other than good on me for doing something I'm excited about. He committed, (without my asking) to using this knife for everything, so I'm expecting some really good feedback beyond just first impressions.

He was complaining about a knife that he has which is worth close to $1000 that he rarely uses, and extolling the virtues of a pair of $40 serrated knives that he uses for pretty much everything. In a professional setting, you use what works there is no margin for dull or poorly designed cutlery.

I took this knife back with me for a sharpening
A8XZsTk.jpg

He told me he loves purpleheart, which I have some of, so I'll make him his own knife in exchange for his wisdom:)

He's on Instagram

I recently picked up a Benchmade Meatcrafter. I’ve been dying for something this utilitarian from CPK but for cooking, not filet and deboning. I had a potato knife a couple years back and it just wasn’t for me as I didn’t like using it on meat or fish. If you guys come up with some kitchen knives (nice wide chef’s knife please!) I’d definitely be in.

I dropped the knife off with Edward this morning, and will pick it up in a week. He's got two enormous slabs of beef to cut up tomorrow, so my timing couldn't be better. His initial impression of the knife was better than expected- he is a grouchy ole chef who doesn't mince words, so a thumbs up from him actually means something. He liked the overall weight, the balance, and the handle design- particularly the way it accommodates and encourages a pinch grip. He cut up a bit of cured beef, (juniper and rosemary infused- yum!) which is very dense and hard and he liked the way it cut.

No attaboys, other than good on me for doing something I'm excited about. He committed, (without my asking) to using this knife for everything, so I'm expecting some really good feedback beyond just first impressions.

He was complaining about a knife that he has which is worth close to $1000 that he rarely uses, and extolling the virtues of a pair of $40 serrated knives that he uses for pretty much everything. In a professional setting, you use what works there is no margin for dull or poorly designed cutlery.

I took this knife back with me for a sharpening
A8XZsTk.jpg

He told me he loves purpleheart, which I have some of, so I'll make him his own knife in exchange for his wisdom:)

He's on Instagram
Is that rust?

went in for an eye exam this morning and swung by Edward's to drop off that boning knife. He uses it to part out chickens- it kind of sucked to sharpen since I stuck with the bevel it came with which was so fat that a keen edge wasn't realistic without changing it. But still light years better than it was. I think I might be able to work a deal- knife sharpening for cured meats! Fingers x'd

The first thing he said to me when he opened the door was 'this knife is awesome'. He held it up then, indicating the handle- I was expecting him to make a comment about a hotspot, or maybe the hollow pins, but his complaint was material based- he prefers wood to composites. That's it.

I didn't spend much time, didn't want to get into it since I had somewhere to be, and wanted him to have use of it for another couple days. But initial reports are very good! I'm looking forward to spending some time with him on Saturday to get more in-depth- and a charcouterie!

Never thought I’d get excited over a kitchen knife… Wallet, prepare yourself. 🤣
I feel the same way!

Got another few different kitchen knives underway. Now that I've learned how to design them properly, they're looking so much better than any of my previous sketches from over the years. I love grinding those big wide bevels- in some ways I find it a lot easier than with other types of knives.

Timmy- there won't be much more coming. Edward and I will have a conversation and I hope to learn a lot. But he gave me an unsolicited and unequivocal thumbs up today, so I'ma go with that. I'll make sure to take some pictures on Saturday when I pick the knife up.

I'll need to make Mrs. Loriendesign a new knife before I send this off to CPKHQ, as it's taken on the role of our primary kitchen knife and it hasn't even been a week and I've gotten the stink eye once or twice.

As far as I'm concerned it's ready for the next step.

I feel the same way!

Got another few different kitchen knives underway. Now that I've learned how to design them properly, they're looking so much better than any of my previous sketches from over the years. I love grinding those big wide bevels- in some ways I find it a lot easier than with other types of knives.

Timmy- there won't be much more coming. Edward and I will have a conversation and I hope to learn a lot. But he gave me an unsolicited and unequivocal thumbs up today, so I'ma go with that. I'll make sure to take some pictures on Saturday when I pick the knife up.

I'll need to make Mrs. Loriendesign a new knife before I send this off to CPKHQ, as it's taken on the role of our primary kitchen knife and it hasn't even been a week and I've gotten the stink eye once or twice.

As far as I'm concerned it's ready for the next step.
Yes, definitely have to keep the Mrs. happy lol. 😁

As for the other designs… do I smell a Loriendesign/CPK kitchen knife set in the works?? Pretty sure my old set would quickly find its way to a new owner to make room…

Here’s to wishful thinking! 🤣

went in for an eye exam this morning and swung by Edward's to drop off that boning knife. He uses it to part out chickens- it kind of sucked to sharpen since I stuck with the bevel it came with which was so fat that a keen edge wasn't realistic without changing it. But still light years better than it was. I think I might be able to work a deal- knife sharpening for cured meats! Fingers x'd

The first thing he said to me when he opened the door was 'this knife is awesome'. He held it up then, indicating the handle- I was expecting him to make a comment about a hotspot, or maybe the hollow pins, but his complaint was material based- he prefers wood to composites. That's it.

I didn't spend much time, didn't want to get into it since I had somewhere to be, and wanted him to have use of it for another couple days. But initial reports are very good! I'm looking forward to spending some time with him on Saturday to get more in-depth- and a charcouterie!
Do you know what kind of grip he prefers or uses most of the time? Being a butcher and especially cutting cured meat I am curious if he mostly uses pinch or other grips to increase force. You wrote that he liked how the handle shape encourages pinch grip, so he probably uses that to some degree, but with hard and dense cured meat it would be interesting to know what grips he prefers. Also, what cutting motions does he prefer, rocking, chopping, slicing, etc

So, what blade shape are you thinking on the paring knife? I like the standard, but I’ve gotta say I have a special place in my heart for a billhook one. It’s probably just nostalgia because my grandma use to have one. Good times and fond memories..
Either way, I’d be in for pairing knife and can’t wait to see what you come up with!
Edit: Guess I’ve been calling it by the wrong name lol. Its a peeling knife. Guess I’ll never know if I heard her wrong or just never questioned when she told me what something was. 😂

Last edited:
Back