CPM-20CV: Tough Enough?

I dream of a knife steel so strong that I could cut steel with it like cardboard. But then, I believe in technology. I also believe in critical discussion and I think such discussion can help the advance of technology.

I wonder what effect cryogenic processing would have on my 20CV knife blades?

"A deep cryogenically treated component shows far higher toughness than conventionally heat treated material, or the raw metal material."

https://www.300below.com

I dream of a knife steel so strong that I could cut steel with it like cardboard. But then, I believe in technology. I also believe in critical discussion and I think such discussion can help the advance of technology.

"A deep cryogenically treated component shows far higher toughness than conventionally heat treated material, or the raw metal material."

Lots of good steel info here
https://knifesteelnerds.com/

Only in the movies.

Just like the guns that never need to be reloaded, Machine guns that never overheat and break and Perfectly Chroreographed fight scenes.

Reality has more limitations, but is actually much cooler because there are more Intricacies to learn and synergies to discover.

Unfortunately cutting steel like cardboard isn't reality. Come back in a few hundred years :D

Also, most stainless PM steels from reputable Production knife companies and custom knife makers receive a cryogenic treatment -300°f in LN as part of there HT processing after Quenching. So it's nothing magical. The Heat Treating is the sum of all parts, not one single step can make up for the lack of the others.

The biggest secret to heat treating is that it isn't.

It's just control and execution, and having a deeper understanding of the Metallurgical process to guide your protocol.

Now then, tough 20cv?

I'd recommend refining your Sharpening abilities and gear. Then you can use all of your knives without worry.

I think everyone is always looking for the most invincible edge when in reality they should look to be better sharpeners

Only in the movies.

Just like the guns that never need to be reloaded, Machine guns that never overheat and break and Perfectly Chroreographed fight scenes.

Reality has more limitations, but is actually much cooler because there are more Intricacies to learn and synergies to discover.

Unfortunately cutting steel like cardboard isn't reality. Come back in a few hundred years :D

Also, most stainless PM steels from reputable Production knife companies and custom knife makers receive a cryogenic treatment -300°f in LN as part of there HT processing after Quenching. So it's nothing magical. The Heat Treating is the sum of all parts, not one single step can make up for the lack of the others.

The biggest secret to heat treating is that it isn't.

It's just control and execution, and having a deeper understanding of the Metallurgical process to guide your protocol.

Now then, tough 20cv?

I'd recommend refining your Sharpening abilities and gear. Then you can use all of your knives without worry.

I think everyone is always looking for the most invincible edge when in reality they should look to be better sharpeners
So, what you're saying is that my light-sabre can't cut through metal? Them's fightin' words... :mad: :p

So, I have a new knife, a very well made and strong folder in CPM-20CV, U.S.A. made, and I have been wondering whether I should have configured it with CPM-M4.

1. I am concerned that maybe the CPM-20CV blade will chip or even break. Does anyone have some experience with this issue, good or bad?

2. Coatings on a CPM-M4 blade: Effective? Wears off? Does M4 rust easily?

Thanks and happy turkey day.

What knife did you get?

... How did you chip M390 with cardboard?

Like, I understand that you legitimately might not have a better answer than just "I did", but... I've used a wide variety of steels on an immeasurable amount of cardboard and never had it chip aside from a couple cheap utility razor blades. Rolled edges, sure, but I'd only lost bits of proper folding knife edge to solid wood, poor sharpening, and hard flooring.

I assure you I'm not trying to question the validity of your statement. It's just so far out of sync with my own personal experiences that I can only assume you have cut magnitudes more cardboard than I have - and I worked retail for nearly a decade. Maybe I've just been super lucky?
I cut a bunch of cardboard with it, and it got chips all down the edge? I was trying to see what would dull my M390 Ritter Grip, so I cut a bunch of boxes down and they appeared. Resharpened again to remove more steel at the edge, and I've gotten more chips since, with no abusive cutting of any sort. Had some with 20CV as well, though lesser (possibly due to lower hardness from ZT). I still like the knife, and the edge retention aside from the lost bits of edge seems great, but the constant worry of chipping is annoying.

I've never understood why people consider these steels to be tough in any way. To me, they seem to be about as chip resistant as you could expect for a steel chock full of that much carbon, vanadium, and chromium. I don't generally experience M390 rolling like everyone else claims.

Last edited:
my 20CV will arrive soon . Should I send it to that Swedish girl to test ?? :eek:

Mine is a sheath knife .
Light-Saber ? You build a better light-saber .I'll build a better blade . You know , the old story is still working ! :p

https://www.300below.com[/QUOTE]

I cut a bunch of cardboard with it, and it got chips all down the edge? I was trying to see what would dull my M390 Ritter Grip, so I cut a bunch of boxes down and they appeared. Resharpened again to remove more steel at the edge, and I've gotten more chips since, with no abusive cutting of any sort. Had some with 20CV as well, though lesser (possibly due to lower hardness from ZT). I still like the knife, and the edge retention aside from the lost bits of edge seems great, but the constant worry of chipping is annoying.

I've never understood why people consider these steels to be tough in any way. To me, they seem to be about as chip resistant as you could expect for a steel chock full of that much carbon, vanadium, and chromium. I don't generally experience M390 rolling like everyone else claims.
If I remember correctly BM had trouble with a few batches of m390. That and sourcing are the main reason the switch to 20cv for the g10 grip (also us made).

A question for you older, more experienced gentlemen... what did you do 20-30-40 years ago before all the supersteels of today were around? Buy a new knife every time you made a cut?
spent a lot more time with a whetstone

Back