CPM-20CV: Tough Enough?

To start my knife collection I got a Benchmade Foray in 20cv. I loved the weighty feel and axis lock and the fact it was a super steel. But the toughness...

What is the point of having a strong little premium folder as a companion if it is going to chip or get tipped. Is it tough enough? I can't pin down an answer to that and landed where this thread has, just use it it's good steel.

To add though, the geometry of this blade, it is thick and fairly narrow so a thick blade with a over 20 or so final bevel . So making a thick edge. Did they do this to counter lack of toughness?

After expanding my collection and experience now I hardly use the Foray as.. it cuts like shit because it is just too thick geometry wise. You could probably use it to wedge something apart but to slice cheese or an apple? Grab another knife, it is going to look like a toddler cut it.

So just another maybe to add to the pile. Also I cannot sharpen this thing, my sharpening is improving but no matter how long I grind away, angle feels locked, get a tiny burr, even on the bloody stupid completely pointless recurve section... and still unfortunately it hardly slices paper well, won't pop a hair. I got It sharpened by local dealer here, granted he did it in a hurry I reckon as it was not shaving even after that.

Probably is a good steel but what is the magic geometry to use it with. Not the Foray I say.

Any tips on sharpening a 20cv recurve welcome .Ha cheers

Edit: After writing this I had another go at sharpening. A bit less angle. Got it to pop a few hairs. Stoked! At least it's sharp now!

Last edited:
I agree that 20cv is fairly popular, and many people like it for the great wear resistance & rust resistance...
it is however, not, 'tough' - I simply wouldn't use it in hard use areas like outdoor/camping/light wood processing etc (same goes for types like zdp189 etc)

for hard use, I personally would go 3v or aeb-l for the lower cost : )
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/06/04/toughness-testing-cru-wear-z-wear/
toughness-summary.jpg

Back