CPM MagnaCut – The Next Breakthrough in Knife Steel

I’m happy I could demonstrate that I know what I’m doing. :)

It's not just that. You've laid the data clear as day for everyone to see and use.

This is how you do progress. No super-secret composition, no super-secret HT protocol, just plain data-driven measurements (and enough analysis to help the layman understand all the lingo).

Definitely looking forward to production knives with CPM-MagnaCut and super glad that you had the foresight to have the heat-treat scalable to large volumes without greatly compromising performance at the higher end of the spectrum in hardness.

Also, can't wait to see how custom makers will be able to really push the limits of edge geometry with this stuff. We need to get Devin Thomas making more of that flipper he made with CPM-MagnaCut.

Last edited:
Seems that Esee-6 is much thicker behind edge then other knife ? Esse-6 cut the nail after 46 hammer blows . Other knife cut nail after 80 hammer blows ??

This is a key observation. The Esee cut the nail after 46 hammer blows. The new-steel knife took 80 blows.

So either the new-steel knife had a more damage-resisting edge geometry (that didn't cut as well), or the new steel was being hit less hard, making it less vulnerable to damage. Either way, from this video, you can't say that the new steel resists damage better than good old 1095.

This is a cool development, for sure. But we need some actual data before we get too excited.

S35VN at the same hardness is tougher than 1095 and will hold an edge much longer.

This is a key observation. The Esee cut the nail after 46 hammer blows. The new-steel knife took 80 blows.

So either the new-steel knife had a more damage-resisting edge geometry (that didn't cut as well), or the new steel was being hit less hard, making it less vulnerable to damage. Either way, from this video, you can't say that the new steel resists damage better than good old 1095.

This is a cool development, for sure. But we need some actual data before we get too excited.

S35VN at the same hardness is tougher than 1095 and will hold an edge much longer.
Glad you enjoyed the video.

I'm running low on nails.

HandmadeMiniatureHogget-small.gif

"You're thinking "Did he hammer that nail six times or only five?" Now, to tell you the truth, I've forgotten myself in all this excitement."

Back