CPM MagnaCut – The Next Breakthrough in Knife Steel

The testing by knifemakers like Shawn was great for the announcement of the steel. People just don’t have the same reaction to my quantitative tests as they do seeing what that can mean in practice. And it is always nice to see that there isn’t some unexpected issue that didn’t come up with other kinds of tests.

The testing by knifemakers like Shawn was great for the announcement of the steel. People just don’t have the same reaction to my quantitative tests as they do seeing what that can mean in practice. And it is always nice to see that there isn’t some unexpected issue that didn’t come up with other kinds of tests.

MagnaCut is frickin Rad, I can't believe you were able to make a Stainless 4V with finer carbides.

I'll be using a lot of this steel.
As a knifemaker I can do almost anything my heart desires with a steel like this. From rough use blades to laser thin slicers.

I've been impressed from what I've experienced over the past several months of testing in my shop.

Thanks Doc.

-Shawn

Thanks for the extra video, Shawn. Cool stuff. Much appreciated.

Can you tell us what the edge geometry was (BTE, edge angle, V or convex edge) and what the steel hardnesses were for the two knives?

I make no illusions - 3v is still going to be a better choice for chopper/sword like applications... it's at least double the toughness at the same 62 hrc https://www.crucible.com/eselector/prodbyapp/tooldie/cpm3vt.html

... but 3v isn't near stainless, and isn't going to have the edge retention of magnacut

so this really could be a sweet spot for all-round use... big camp knives down to folders ; )

oh... Larrin Larrin , I figured it would be something like this, but honestly I was expecting you to go further down the nitrogen path ;p

I make no illusions - 3v is still going to be a better choice for chopper/sword like applications... it's at least double the toughness at the same 62 hrc https://www.crucible.com/eselector/prodbyapp/tooldie/cpm3vt.html

... but 3v isn't near stainless, and isn't going to have the edge retention of magnacut

so this really could be a sweet spot for all-round use... big camp knives down to folders ; )

oh... Larrin Larrin , I figured it would be something like this, but honestly I was expecting you to go further down the nitrogen path ;p
Ok I will give some unpopular opinions. The best sword steel is 420 with at least 0.35% carbon. Super high toughness and good achievable hardness and of course excellent corrosion resistance. You don’t need wear resistance in a sword and it makes sharpening all of that edge take longer. A stainless 3V could be made, however.

I don’t have that much interest in “nitrogen” steel craze. The definition of nitrogen steel isn’t consistent and nobody seems to understand what nitrogen can and can’t do. We could make a “saltwater” stainless steel without significant amounts of nitrogen.

Ok I will give some unpopular opinions. The best sword steel is 420 with at least 0.35% carbon. Super high toughness and good achievable hardness and of course excellent corrosion resistance. You don’t need wear resistance in a sword and it makes sharpening all of that edge take longer. A stainless 3V could be made, however.

I don’t have that much interest in “nitrogen” steel craze. The definition of nitrogen steel isn’t consistent and nobody seems to understand what nitrogen can and can’t do. We could make a “saltwater” stainless steel without significant amounts of nitrogen.

very valid point... and there are already some steels that go pretty deep down the nitrogen side ...

to be totally honest, it's really hard to believe your magnacut has better rust resistance than aeb-l & most stainless steels!
the fact you did this with only 10.7% chrome is nothing short of game changing... (and frankly my mind is still trying to grok this)

you are far too humble, I expect this will be used even in dive knives & by many makers
it seems like a goldi-locks of properties has been achieved

I hope you get a % of sales from crucible?
thank you!

Back