CPM MagnaCut – The Next Breakthrough in Knife Steel

Giving it the name “ MagnaCut “ rather than a number is a good thing. Sometimes the numbers can get confusing or crossed up with other steel with close numbers. MagnaCut should be easy to remember and keep everyone on track.

Just when I think I have a knife steal that I am so happy with someone comes out with a new and better steal. Lol I guess I’ll see what comes along I can’t do without. Lol.

Giving it the name “ MagnaCut “ rather than a number is a good thing. Sometimes the numbers can get confusing or crossed up with other steel with close numbers. MagnaCut should be easy to remember and keep everyone on track.

When the British declare war on us for trying to steal their Magna Carta Magna Cutter we'll all have to keep a sharp eye out for incoming while our countries remain on the edge of oblivion.

:cool:

When the British declare war on us for trying to steal their Magna Carta Magna Cutter we'll all have to keep a sharp eye out for incoming while our countries remain on the edge of oblivion.

:cool:

I wonder if the US military will upgrade their special R9X missle with some magnacut ;P

I just found Larrin's full writeup on MagnaCut on his website. It looks like an awesome steel.
cpm-magnacut

To be honest, I was a little put off by Shawn's opening video in this tread, which was entertaining, but far below the kind of testing, evidence, basic measurements and introduction that I'd expect on this forum.

But Larrin's full article changed my mind. My favorite EDC steel is Vanax, largely because it is (was) the toughest of the powder stainless steels, it is super fine gained, has very fine carbides/nitrides, takes a killer edge, has excellent edge retention and is extremely stainless. It's an awesome steel.

MagnaCut is almost as stainless, has almost as good edge retention as Vanax. It also has an extremely fine grain size and carbide/nitride size, much like Vanax. And those are important characteristics for knife steel.

Where MagnaCut outshines Vanax is in toughness. Vanax is no longer the champ of toughness among powdered stainless steels. At roughly 60 Rc, the difference is 17 ft/lbs to 12 ft/lbs. That's like a 41 percent increase.

Toughness has always been the weakest part of powdered stainless steels, so if you can improve a weakness by that much, you've done something.

Brilliant work, Larrin.

I just found Larrin's full writeup on MagnaCut on his website. It looks like an awesome steel.
cpm-magnacut

To be honest, I was a little put off by Shawn's opening video in this tread, which was entertaining, but far below the kind of testing, evidence, basic measurements and introduction that I'd expect on this forum.

But Larrin's full article changed my mind. My favorite EDC steel is Vanax, largely because it is (was) the toughest of the powder stainless steels, it is super fine gained, has very fine carbides/nitrides, takes a killer edge, has excellent edge retention and is extremely stainless. It's an awesome steel.

MagnaCut is almost as stainless, has almost as good edge retention as Vanax. It also has an extremely fine grain size and carbide/nitride size, much like Vanax. And those are important characteristics for knife steel.

Where MagnaCut outshines Vanax is in toughness. Vanax is no longer the champ of toughness among powdered stainless steels. At roughly 60 Rc, the difference is 17 ft/lbs to 12 ft/lbs. That's like a 41 percent increase.

Toughness has always been the weakest part of powdered stainless steels, so if you can improve a weakness by that much, you've done something.

Brilliant work, Larrin.
I’ve been dying to try some Vanax, but as I really appreciate a little extra toughness, I will likely skip it and go right to Magnacut. I’m eagerly awaiting it’s available.

We bought a small test lot to see how it was going to work. It's a calculated risk to try something like this and fortunately, it went way better than expected. In normal times, we could get slab here in 8 weeks and turned into sheet a few weeks later, but these are not normal times. Covid has thrown supply chains all over the world into chaos. Crucible is busier than they have been since 2010 and there's no end in sight. It's going to be 16-20 weeks before we have more sheet available. We have plenty on order with Crucible so it will be more widely available by the end of this summer. We will get this to distributors as fast as we can because they are much better at selling cut pieces than we are. We'll post info on our site so people know who to call to get some.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Thanks

cpm-magnacut

Brilliant work, Larrin.

I’ve been dying to try some Vanax, but as I really appreciate a little extra toughness, I will likely skip it and go right to Magnacut. I’m eagerly awaiting it’s available.
Same for me. Was really intrigued by Vanax, but now would rather go for MagnaCut, tougher and can get harder which I like for some applications, plus it is more than stainless enough for my use.

We bought a small test lot to see how it was going to work. It's a calculated risk to try something like this and fortunately, it went way better than expected. In normal times, we could get slab here in 8 weeks and turned into sheet a few weeks later, but these are not normal times. Covid has thrown supply chains all over the world into chaos. Crucible is busier than they have been since 2010 and there's no end in sight. It's going to be 16-20 weeks before we have more sheet available. We have plenty on order with Crucible so it will be more widely available by the end of this summer. We will get this to distributors as fast as we can because they are much better at selling cut pieces than we are. We'll post info on our site so people know who to call to get some.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Thanks for the update on availability - most people don’t have much grasp of what it takes to produce something like this from raw materials to finished product, much less develop and test it, and the fact that the small initial melt was a success right out of the gates is almost unheard of.

I think everyone is sort of expecting that there’s a million pounds of this stuff already. :p We just all need to be patient and know that the future is nearly now. :D

A number of years back I made a thread documenting the finish rolling steps for a sheet of Crucible CPM-S35vn - seems like it might be interesting to some of you. The video link at the end of the first post is broken, and the forum software won't let me update it without deleting a bunch of photos :mad:, so I added the video link to the last post in the thread.

You can look at it here:

From Billet to Sheet - Crucible CPM-S35vn hot rolling at Niagara Specialty Metals

I only hope that it will be mass produced and easily available in no time.
The article i read on Larrin's site last week mentions 15k lb order coming April 1, so there may be some knives avqilqble for us lubbers sooner than later..
edit: my bad, I posted prior to the info from Niagra. I plead ignorance.

Last edited:
I love the amount of knowledge that Larrin brings to our corner of the world.

A person could spend a decade hearing opinion and repeated myths....

I've learned more by reading Larrin's data than years of participation in other forums, including here.

What is tough steel, what steel has better edge retention potential, the balance between the two. Heat treat parameters and cryo effects....the list goes on and on.

Not only that, the why's are presented as well. Pictures at the microscopic level to show carbide size, distribution, type...etc.

Hopefully this new Magnacut will make a huge impact in the industry.

Thank you Larrin for the incredible time and expense you have put forward to benefit us as a group (knife users, steel junkies, and nerds).

The fact that makers who specialize in high wear/ super steels are testing and using it, and like it's performance parameters is exciting.

I wonder if the US military will upgrade their special R9X missle with some magnacut ;P
You'd probably want pretty high shock resistance in those blades, maybe something like S7. Edge holding probably isn't a real big factor at Mach 1.3.:D

Back