CPM MagnaCut – The Next Breakthrough in Knife Steel

Toughness, corrosion resistance and wear resistance, you can only choose 2... oh wait... Magnacut just changed the formula.

Congrat Larrin Larrin ! I thoroughly enjoyed reading you article about the new steel. Glad to see more innovative steel with best combo of properties, not just another steel that tries to race to the top of the wear resistance chart.

I really think they way you make the steel corrosion resistant is genius. With 10.7% Cr and 8% total carbide, it seem like there’s effectively 11.63% of Cr in the solutions, plus the other 2% Mo for pitting resistance.

Really looking forward to seeing this replace the S30V/S35VN and become the standard if no ubiquitous steel in the industry.

I guess there are going to be lots of bargains in the exchange...:p

(Spark must be rubbing his hands together in anticipation of all the new gold memberships. :D)

I think it can be universally accepted that Jared Oeser makes about as nice of a knife as anybody. One thing for me as a "new maker" that sticks out and is probably overlooked by the collector as they race to buy his blades is his use of different non-traditional high end steels. My goal is to make traditional knives but try to avoid the same 'ol same 'ol CPM 154 simply because it finishes up pretty. You shouldn't have to sacrifice performance for looks and I'm wanting to strike that balance and incorporate steels that perform in my knives. I've been extremely happy with A2 as my preferred tool steel now it's time to find the right stainless and this one is a very strong contender IMO. :thumbsup:

If you've got a list going... Get me on there, lol! I've seen your re-covers. Phenomenal work. I'm dang near drooling thinking about a traditional in MagnaCut.

Yea, Jared does some absolutely incredible work! I picked up one of his Alta Bushcrafts for a wedding gift for my little brother and I was blown away by the quality. The grind and finish were out of this world. I'm hoping to own one of his Swaybacks one day, but for now $1,500+ is a bit out of my comfort zone.

I hope we start seeing a trend of traditional knives featuring more premium steel. With the cost of MagnaCut being reasonable and reports of it being fairly easy to grind and heat treat... Maybe this will be the kick in the pants traditional knife makers needed.

Any data / testing with lateral strength and flexing then returning original place?

Edge stability, against chipping and rolling will be Interesting to see

Awesome!!

I just approached David Mary for a couple of knives in MagnaCut too.
He is taking orders... https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/magnacut-customs-books-open.1784495/
I did as well. He does great work, so I suspect we are both in for a treat! I was just telling my wife a few weeks ago I was set on knives for awhile. I figured steels were about topped out performance wise, and I have everything I need. Now I’m going to have to get at least a few fixed blades and a few folders in magnacut if it’s as good as advertised, and I suspect it will be. Thanks, Larrin!

Larrin Larrin - are there any reports of how it behaves under a hammer with traditional methods?

with the lower chrome, it would be really interesting to gauge this possibility

Larrin Larrin - are there any reports of how it behaves under a hammer with traditional methods?

with the lower chrome, it would be really interesting to gauge this possibility
Initial reports are that it forges more similarly to non-stainless high alloy steels like 3V or 4V. But to forging bladesmiths 52100 is often considered difficult to forge so I don’t know if they will be convinced to use MagnaCut. They’re usually not interested in high alloy or stainless steels.

I think I'm going to hold off on some knife purchases and see what happens with this steel.

Back