Creepy/Scary Outdoor Stories

Big fan of Coast to Coast and different cryptid podcasts here, love this thread. Other than a coyote scaring me (I scared it too) on the road, and a deer making a sound that mimicked something out of Star Wars, also on the road, I haven't really had much happen.

Other than knowing either a coyote or mountain lion walked up out of my fathers woods with me, at night. I hope it was a coyote, as mountain lions are not supposed to be in MD. They might've gotten the Mason Dixon line wrong though, my father's property is about a mile from the state line.
I used to live right on the MD/PA line myself (Fair Hill/Oxford). There was an escaped cougar in my yard about 30 years ago. If I remember right it was a pet or belonged to Plumpton Park Zoo nearby. There were bobcats around. At least one, its distinct paw prints could be seen around my creek.

Anyway, keep the creepy stories coming!

Other than knowing either a coyote or mountain lion walked up out of my fathers woods with me, at night. I hope it was a coyote, as mountain lions are not supposed to be in MD. They might've gotten the Mason Dixon line wrong though, my father's property is about a mile from the state line.

Not supposed to have mt. lions in Maine or Connecticut either but I have seen one in each state. Fish & Wildlife officials, as expected, said these were sightings of escaped pets.:rolleyes: No matter - being stalked by a mt. lion is legitimate reason to be unsettled, at the least. :eek: My wife and I both saw the one in CT. We were sitting deep in the woods, in a little basin, by a small vernal pool watching for spring critters, when across us on the high side of the basin (at most, 300 yards) a mt. lion emerged from the tress to the right walked across the clear rise and disappeared into the trees on the left. Got to see him full broadside. Unmistakable what we saw. I was glad it was going in the opposite direction from where we were to go back to our starting point. Tried to get some friends together to go back the next day and look for tracks but they all seemed to think I was a bit crazy. :confused: I did consider it unwise to go alone.;) The Maine sighting was a road crossing situation, from the comfort and safety of my truck cab. Was able to watch the lovely creature cross the road, in the early morning, completely without regard to me. Pretty cool unexpected sightings. :thumbsup:

Ray

OCT/NOV 1972 I was on my first exercise in the Black Forest in Germany. We jumped in and linked up with about 20 young German paratroopers, most of whom had just joined the Army and had not yet gone to Airborne School. We moved often, and would send a 4-man recon team out during the day, to find a new base camp. Then 2 men would stay and secure the base camp and the other 2 men would go back and lead the main party to the new base camp that night. Terry Biggs and I stayed at the new area. We watched a party of German hunters arrive, and later leave. They are not kidding about the "Black Forest' so as it got dark I moved from the base camp area, down and right next to the dirt path the main party would be coming along so I would not miss them. On the other side of the path the ground fell off pretty steeply. After a while I could hear something large moving up the hill in front of me, stop, move again, and stop. Suddenly the most God Awful scream came from that direction. I had no idea what it was but it kept getting closer and closer and the screaming got louder and louder. I had a XM16E1 rifle but no ammunition, so took out my Randall 14. Suddenly I could hear what ever it was crashing its way down the hill away from me. Later Terry asked me If I had heard the screaming, which a dead person would have heard. He said he was thinking about coming down to see if I was OK, but stopped as if what ever it was got me, then it would get him too! Did not help that I was reading the then new book "Omen". It turned out that it was a barking Deer. You can google "Barking Deer, Germany" and find a recording on You Tube, but all I know is my hair stood straight up at the sound and probably did not come down for a couple of days. John

I went on a ghost hunt with some friends years ago at a local park that is also a place that the devil worshippers used to hang out at.

We were asking some questions using the digital recorder and then when we left we played it back and gotten a few responses.

This is what we said then the responses to it.

-One Of us said something, then I think it was me that said That sounds like a good idea. A whispery voice replied Yesss.

The other one was really creepy.

I asked where should we go now. A deep demonic sounding voice replied. You go back!.

I had another friend from a different group of friends download them into his computer so everyone could hear it. That freaked him out and he erased it before I could make a copy of it.

I’m going on another ghost hunt the first of October at a local place here. Ben Hansen from the show Fact Or Faked Paranormal Files is going to be there.

Should be fun.

I went on a ghost hunt with some friends years ago at a local park that is also a place that the devil worshippers used to hang out at.

We were asking some questions using the digital recorder and then when we left we played it back and gotten a few responses.

This is what we said then the responses to it.

-One Of us said something, then I think it was me that said That sounds like a good idea. A whispery voice replied Yesss.

The other one was really creepy.

I asked where should we go now. A deep demonic sounding voice replied. You go back!.

I had another friend from a different group of friends download them into his computer so everyone could hear it. That freaked him out and he erased it before I could make a copy of it.

I’m going on another ghost hunt the first of October at a local place here. Ben Hansen from the show Fact Or Faked Paranormal Files is going to be there.

Should be fun.

Thank you for sharing! Please post what happens. Also, take care that nothing 'follows' you back home (I'm actually being serious).

Jim

Thank you for sharing! Please post what happens. Also, take care that nothing 'follows' you back home (I'm actually being serious).

Jim

Yeah I will post about it. I also know about making sure we don’t get followed home :)

During my last full year living in Taiwan (1992), I was with a friend from Liverpool named Paul, and we had just finished eating dinner in a pizza restaurant in Taipei. We were outside the restaurant on the sidewalk talking; he sitting sideways on his parked motorcycle, me standing facing him about 8 feet away or so. It was around 8:00(?) or so at night. The temp was warm-to-comfortable. Suddenly, I felt a cold energy come into me through my head, and I couldn't move or speak. I seemed to be looking at Paul through a fog, and as I looked at him, he squinted a bit as if he had trouble seeing me, then suddenly he began rubbing his upper arms with his hands. I was quietly struggling for several seconds, then the energy lifted. Paul said, "@#!*ing hell, man! Didja feel that!?"

We went our separate ways, and next morning he told me, "Something followed me home last night. I could sense it in my room 'til around 4:00 or 5:00, then it left. I only got 2 hours' sleep." Oddly enough, we never even discussed that incident again the rest of the time I was in Taiwan, nor when he and his family visited me in the States from Belgium (where he settled) about 10 years later. I have no idea what kind of entity it was, or why it targeted us on a sidewalk on a normal, well-lit street in front of businesses.

It was somewhat reminiscent (but less intense) of another incident a girlfriend and I had in Taiwan 4 years earlier, while we were staying the night at a ski resort on Mount Hehuan (Hehuanshan). I believe I've posted about it on this forum before. I also submitted it to researcher Lon Strickler at his Phantoms and Monsters site. If you google "Entity Encounter in Taiwan: phantomsandmonsters", you can still find it. That is the most detailed I've ever described it in writing, and I still left out a detail or so. He also included my account in his book, 'Unexplained Encounters'. Luckily, nothing further happened follwing the incident or after we left the next day.

I myself would never go on a ghost hunt (or to a seance, or use a Ouija board, etc.).

Jim

Last edited:
^ The most amazing thing about this story is that there is a ski resort in Taiwan :eek:

^ The most amazing thing about this story is that there is a ski resort in Taiwan :eek:
It wasn't much of one, or at least not when we were there. It was summer, but they had a dorm that guests could sleep in. It was just a stop on our trip along the Central Cross-Island Highway.

As unassuming as the place was, it was the absolute creepiest experience of my life, and it is very difficult putting it into words. I still don't think the writing really captures it. Someone would have to have experienced it (or at least something very similar) to truly understand it.
Jim

Last edited:
I couldn't find your account on Phantoms & monsters. Got a link, by chance?
Hi.

I don't have an account there, and I can't link the article directly. You have to go on Google and type "entity encounter in Taiwan, phantoms and monsters" and you can find it.

Jim

I saw this thread again this morning I had forgotten about it ...

To preface this story ... my sister is into this paranormal stuff and watches tv shows and has stories of experiences that I take with a grain of salt.

In Villisca Iowa there is what is called the Villisca axe murder house ... it has been featured on tv programs around Haloween several times and on scariest places on earth etc ...

My sister and a couple of her friends decided for Halloween they wanted to go there ... it is just a couple hours from my place ... but she begged me to go along so they could stay the night otherwise they were just going to go on the tour ... so I agreed just to appease my sister ...

well it started out pretty uneventful ... a few shrieks and gasps from my sister and her friends here and there saying they saw something or heard something ...

well the backstory is in the early 1900s a family and two young girls staying over were all murdered in the home by a maniac with an axe ... no one was ever caught or charged ... 5 children were killed along with two adults ... so people bring toys for the children spirits there are several balls around the house ...

now my sister swears something pushed her and one of her friend swears she was pushed against the wall ... the closest I saw to possible paranormal activity was in one room there was a ball on the floor that twice I saw start from dead still and rolled a ways across the floor ... now to me ... paranormal activity? ... maybe ... a very old home with possible uneven floors? ... very likely.

Well needless to say my sister and her friends had enough and even though the night was paid for to stay all night ... by about 1:30 AM I was trying to calm down all of them and packing up to leave ...

they all took several pictures and my sister swears in one there is a face in the window reflection ... but no matter how much I look I can't see what she does ...

there is one recording her friend had that there was a voice that seemed to not be any of us and a breathy exhale kind of voice that sounds like a child saying "it's mine" ... after they were asking who moved the ball?

So I don't know if any of it was paranormal or more them wanting it to be but there were a few strange things that happened ... but my entertainment was worth the price just to see my sister and her friend's reactions to everything.

Needless to say the drive back was loud and like 3 women had too much caffine.

So if you're anywhere near and are into that stuff it might be worth your while to go check it out.

The first place I ever visited that has a notorious reputation for being haunted is the Whaley House in San Diego. The first time was with my family and cousins back in the late 1960s when I was 4 or 5. During the tour, people were saying that the rocking chair upstairs was moving by itself, but being a munchkin I don't recall if I could see it or not with several people standing in front of me.

I visited twice more in my early teens on Halloween days. One time, while my dad was talking with a tour guide in the courtroom, I went upstairs by myself, but didn't experience anything. Many consider the Whaley House to be 'the most haunted house in the United States', and the upstairs to be especially haunted, but I never experienced anything paranormal there. I do believe it is very haunted, but that doesn't necessarily mean that something will happen on cue when you visit, especially a fairly brief visit. IIRC, it was the first brick house ever built in San Diego, and it also served as a courthouse in the 1800s.

The Whaley House is located in San Diego's Old Town, which features several other preserved buildings, with original furnishings, from the pioneer days. Other buildings and El Campo Santo Cemetery nearby are also reputedly haunted.

Jim

Last edited:
Back