Creepy/Scary Outdoor Stories

I was taking a short nap on my bed last night, I set my alarm so I wouldn’t oversleep. Once my alarm went off I woke up and decided to play on my phone for a little while.
A couple minutes after that I felt something physically push down on the mattress like someone had just sat down on it. It freaked me out. I grabbed my headlamp and looked at the spot and it was still indented.

That’s never happened before and I hope it never happens again. LoL

jeepin jeepin - Did you know that spirits are afraid of sharp and pointy objects? Do you have any?:rolleyes:
That would have really unsettled me too :eek:

Ray

I was taking a short nap on my bed last night, I set my alarm so I wouldn’t oversleep. Once my alarm went off I woke up and decided to play on my phone for a little while.
A couple minutes after that I felt something physically push down on the mattress like someone had just sat down on it. It freaked me out. I grabbed my headlamp and looked at the spot and it was still indented.

Jeepin did your 'bed sitter' ever come back? Let us know you're still alive!!

Hopefully it won't happen again.

When I lived in Taiwan, one time while in bed I heard a slight scratching sound and thought maybe a cockroach had gotten into my room. I turned the light on and was sitting on my bed looking towards my desk, in the general direction of where the sound had come from. On my desk were two stacks; one of thick, heavy news magazines, and another of English-language newspapers. Each stack was over a foot high. Suddenly the stack of newspapers indented down, as if slapped down hard by an invisible hand, and then the magazine stack was 'struck' at an angle, sending the top half of the stack flying halfway across the room. These two hard 'slaps' happened very quickly one after the other, and sounded like "Whap!-Whap!"

After the second loud slap and with the magazines lying on the floor, I simply sat on the bed and mentally tried to find a reason for it. The windows were closed, and there had been no earth tremor. I had lived in that rented room in Taipei for years before that occurrence, and about 2.5 years afterwards, and never had anything like that happen before or after. Although I did experience a partial out-of-body experience sometime after that that was unrelated to that.

I don't know what it was, but something/someone wanted my attention. I just laid back down on my bed and went back to sleep, though admittedly it took a little while. What was I going to do, run screaming into the alley? I'd already lived there for years without any paranormal occurrences. I wasn't really afraid or amazed, just kinda wondered why. At the time, I was the only person who was renting a room on the 6th floor of the building. If this had happened to someone like Zack Bagans or his 'Ghost Adventures' crew, they'd have probably ran screaming from the room, or from the 6th floor, lol.

On a side note, the event occurred during the last hours of Ghost Month, which is every year during the summer in Taiwan and in some other Asian countries.

Jim

Last edited:
If you guys have a young daughter don’t let her watch the TV is all i can say

I once saw two Pineys skinny dipping in a cranberry bog.

giphy.gif

That same exact thing happened to me 20 some years ago.
Something invisible walked across the room right behind me and the girl I was dating at the time. We were on the couch, which was pulled away from a wall making a sort of hallway behind the couch that went into our kitchen. The footsteps were so extremely heavy that they made the floor creak but when we looked there was nothing there, just “empty” space.
I thought that maybe my Mom had woken up and went into the kitchen expecting me to follow so that she could read me the riot act about having girls in the house late at night and about what we were “doing” at the time.
Thinking we were busted we quickly dressed and I went into the kitchen to face the music, only, there was no one else in the kitchen- just me. I went back into the living room to tell my girl that things were cool but we were both shaken up because we both clearly heard someone walk by, right behind us.
As we were discussing it the alarm went off on my mom’s van, in the garage. I jumped up and ran to the garage, I had to go through the kitchen and laundry room to get to the garage door. I opened up the door and poked my head out quickly to see that the main door was closed and the side door was not only closed but blocked by the lawn mower because we never used that door. I was just about to walk out into the garage when the voice in my head screamed at me to stop right now! My next thought was this is exactly how the first guy always dies in a horror movie so I closed the storm door. The lights were flashing and the horn was beeping so I grabbed the keys off of the hook and tried to turn it off, it wouldn’t turn off, no matter what button I pressed. At this point I’m waiting for my mom and step dad to come running to see what’s happening and am sure that I’m totally busted, plus, I’m starting to freak out a little over all the weird stuff that’s going on so I close and lock the main door and run down to the short hallway that leads to my mothers room, I wait, listen, and hear nothing- they’re still asleep. I run back to the garage and just as I grab the keys, I mean the moment I touch them to try to turn off the alarm again, it stops.
I sit down next to my girl and we’re just both confused by what’s going on and while we’re talking about it the footsteps start again, coming out of the kitchen in front of us. The kitchen and family room are next to each other with access around either side of a wall that has cabinets on the kitchen side and the other end of the “hallway” sectional couch on the living room side. We’re sitting on the hallway section of the couch looking towards the other entrance to the kitchen where the tv was. That’s where something walked out, something heavy and totally invisible to the naked eye. It walked right past us making the floor creak and went right towards the bedrooms end of the house. I’m stunned and totally creeped out at the same time, my girl jumps up, says “ I’m outta here “ and walks for the door. I’d like to say that I let her out of the house without trying to convince her to stay because I was spooked, but I didn’t. I didn’t want to be the only one awake in the house, and to be totally honest, I didn’t want to walk down to my room, in the direction invisible Bigfoot just went, in the dark, by myself after she left.
Well, I did just that. She wouldn’t have stayed for a million dollars.
I closed the door, shut off the lights, and walked to my room totally on edge waiting for something to happen, but, nothing did.
I quickly got ready for bed and laid down. Unfortunately, this was not the last of my strange encounter for the night. The worst was yet to come.
My room was the front corner of the house, as you walked into it there was a wall in front of you which was the short wall of the walk in closet. This meant that you had to turn left, along that wall on your left side was my dresser and then my little twin bed which was touching both that wall and the opposite end of the room, which is the front of the house. Next to the bed is the windows, they went almost to the floor. Another dresser on the right side wall, and opposite corner from my bed was the closet door.
Now that you understand how the room is laid out and where everything is I can try to explain what happened.
I slept on my right side, head by the front of the house, back to the room, facing the wall, so that the windows were behind me and the dresser is at my feet. That way headlights creeping through the blinds wouldn’t wake me as I’m unusually sensitive to any light in a room when I sleep.
As I’m laying there, saying my usual nightly prayers silently in my head, I FREAKING HEAR IT!
It walks from where my walk in closet door is right towards me, creaking the floor as it gets closer with every step right up to the corner of my bed. My heart is racing, I can’t believe this is happening. I’m thinking that maybe it’s my mom, she must’ve been hiding in my closet to mess with me. Maybe it’s my step dad, I’m pretty sure the guy hates me, maybe he’s pissed about me breaking the rules and wants to give me a hard time.
Maybe it’s something else, oh man, maybe it’s something else.
Then, the entire corner of my bed just crushes, slowly, until the mattress is damn near flattened. It almost rolls me over off of the bed, but, I keep my composure. I don’t breath funny, hell , I may not have even breathed at all. I pretend to be asleep but my mind is racing about every possibility of what could be happening, what could be so heavy that it causes the floor to creak so loudly that it sounds like it’s breaking the sub floor. What could be so heavy that it’s smashing my bed with its weight, and, what the hell is it doing in my house, in my room, sitting on my bed right behind my knees.
Running isn’t an option since I’m pinned under a blanket and whatever it is sits between me and the door.
This leaves me with two options, look, or don’t look.
I can decide not to look and just lay there pretending that this isn’t happening and that it’s probably my mom totally trying to freak me out. It’d be really out of character but it’s a comforting answer. If I don’t look, I’ll just continue to say my prayers and hope that things go alright. This is out of character for me, I’m more the face it and fight it type but I’m thinking that this isn’t something that I can fight so maybe just saying prayers until I fall asleep and hoping to wake up in the morning is a solid, although somewhat cowardly option.
My other choice is to look, to face it, to see what’s there. If I look and there’s nothing there I’ll be freaked out but somewhat at ease. If it’s my mom or step dad, same thing. But what if there is something there, and what if it isn’t my mom or my step dad, then what? What do I do if there’s something there that I can see is looking right back at me, AND WHAT IF IT ISNT FRIENDLY!
This was an option that was both interesting and absolutely terrifying. As scary as it may be I really wanted an answer to what was going on, I wanted to understand, I wanted to calm the hairs on my neck and the fears in my brain.
I’d like to tell you that I found out what it was, that there was some great understanding had, but I totally chickened out. I laid there pretending to be asleep until I finally passed out while my companion just sat there, behind me- until only God knows when.
I woke up in the morning no worse for wear so I think I made the right choice. I asked my mom if she heard the car alarm or anyone walking around and she said no.
She and I were very good friends and I could tell her anything. I told her what happened and she was frightened by it, she said that it wasn’t her or my step dad and I know that she was being honest.
Lots more weird, crazy, and scary things happened in that house and I’m glad that I don’t live there.

I really didn’t plan on telling this whole story, I just read that post and it reminded me of my encounter.
If anyone happens to read it then I’d like to say thank you and that I swear to God that this is absolutely true.

There was a ghost sitting on your bed and you went to sleep!!? Pretty sure I would have laid there wide awake for the rest of the night :eek:

There was a ghost sitting on your bed and you went to sleep!!? Pretty sure I would have laid there wide awake for the rest of the night :eek:
It’s funny because when I think about it now I feel the same way.
When in the moment I was aware that this was so far out of my control that I just had to roll with it. I figured that whatever it was hadn’t hurt me yet, that it had just made itself known. Even though it was capable of affecting the floor, the alarm, and my bed, it hadn’t touched me. That was how I ended up at look, or don’t look. Once that was decided I was only able to stay awake so long while laying there perfectly still pretending to be asleep before I fell asleep for real. It’d been a long day at work and then with my girl, add the adrenaline spike from sheer terror to it and when the adrenaline quits so do you.
I still wonder what it was and every now and then I wonder if I should’ve looked. That lasts a few moments before I come to my senses and am thankful that I didn’t because who knows what would’ve happened if I had.

One thing it made me think about was if it had been a ghost was why it was so heavy and was that the reason that the old stories talk about the chains, or ball and chain when speaking about ghosts. Was it for the weight, not the sound?
I had another experience when I was very young. That one was in the house that I grew up in and like this one it was extremely heavy- whatever it was. I was about 9 and was home alone when it happened.
It’s not so involved as the last one but if anybody wants me to I’ll write it out.

Last edited:
Good call to listen to 1) your inner voice 2) don't look - don't engage. :eek:

Yikes :confused: :)

Ray

Okay, I’ll write it up but it’s not as interesting as the other one.

I lived in the house that I grew up in until I was 18, it was a very spooky house and all kinds of weird stuff happened there. These things didn’t just happen to me, but to my Mother, my Father, my Sister, and lots of our guests as well.
By the time I was 8-9 my Sister had moved out to live with my Dad so when my Mom was out I was all alone. Between her work schedule and her living her life, I was alone most of the time. I liked it, I had all the freedom a kid could want.
So I’m about 8-9 years old, home alone, watching TV one night about 10pm and the couch I’m sitting on is along the interior wall which was able to look down the hallway of the ranch style home. At the end of the hall way was a floor to ceiling mirror that was probably 3-4 feet wide, it took up the whole wall that made up the end of the hallway and on its left side was the bathroom door. To each side of the hall we’re 2 rooms, those nearest the bathroom had kind of recessed doors like there was a t shaped hallway but it was only a couple feet deep on each side. Mine and my sisters rooms were closer to the couch end of the hallway, about halfway down from the living room where I sat. Behind the wall that the couch rested against was the kitchen and the other couch was against what you would think was the outside wall but it was the wall that separated the living room from the staircase that was accessed at the side door of the house. When you came through that door you had to go through the kitchen, into the living room, then turn right to get to the hallway. Now that that’s explained I’ll try to explain what happened.
As I’m sitting there watching whichever awesome 80’s TV show it was I see something cross from the unused room that my Mom called the Den, on the left side of the hall and walk across to the right side, into my mom’s room. This isn’t even close to the first time that this happened but it was much slower and more creepy than the other times. I stared down that hallway for what seemed like forever waiting to see if something moved, told myself that it was just my eyes catching my own movement in the mirror, and went back to watching TV, just like every other time that it had happened. A little while later it happened again. It looked like the shape of an adult human but the edges were whispy, maybe smoky, or translucent. There but not there, it’s hard to explain but I swear it looked at me as it walked across the hall. This was by far the creepiest of these occurrences, though not the last.
After a while I calmed down, sufficiently convinced myself that it was nothing but eye boogers or me moving,and decided to go to bed.
I was asleep for a short while when I was awoken by a huge bang, I jolted awake and sat straight up. It was extremely loud and scared the crap out of me, I thought that there must’ve been a car crash on the main road since we were the 3rd house down from it. I laid back down and then it happened again, and again a few moments later. That’s when I realized that it wasn’t a car wreck, and that it was coming from my basement down by the side door. The noise started to move through the basement and towards the stairs, I heard it step on the landing at the bottom and start up one step at a time. It was so heavy that it sounded like it was crushing the stairs with each step. It would take a step and then wait 20-30 seconds and then take another. It felt like forever to me, the time between the steps. Whatever it was climbed up to the top of the stairs and when I thought that it’d come down through the kitchen towards where I was, it went back down, just as slow, crushing and banging as it went. It came back up several more times scaring me half to death and totally freaking me out, my heart was beating out of my chest as I squeezed into the spacebetween my bed and the wall, which happened to be the wall that separated my room from the hallway. I pushed as much of myself into that little space as possible and then silently pushed all of the covers up over me trying to make it look like there was nothing underneath it. As I was doing this it reached the top of the stairs again and went silent, I tried desperately to calm my heart rate so that the covers didn’t move when I breathed and did my best to take as shallow of breaths as I could. I waited for something to happen and when I had finally reached the point where I had calmed down and thought that it was over, where I was thinking of uncovering myself and trying to figure out what happened, it happened again, only this time it was walking through the kitchen, right towards me. When it reached the living room it made the turn towards the hall, I thought my heart was going to burst but I was able to calm myself again and remained as still as humanly possible. It took so much time between steps that I just kept hoping that it was over, but it wasn’t. It started down the hall towards my room, step, by step, by step. I just kept hoping that my Mom would come home, or that a neighbor could hear the loud banging and would come to check on me because they all knew I was home alone most of the time, no such luck, no luck at all I figured as it reached my door. It sounded so heavy that I hoped it’d fall through the floor and then I could run, but again, no such luck.
I laid there hiding trying not to move as whatever it was stood there just on the other side of my door, less that a foot from my feet. I thought that I was going to die as I waited to see what it’d do but after a while it started to walk back down the hallway, step by heavy step, through the kitchen, back down the stairs. That was it, I laid there awake stuffed into that crack between the mattress and the wall for hours until my mom came home, I felt the atmosphere change in the house when she came in, it was a safe place again- and I went to sleep.

I told my best friend about it, he laughed and made some jokes, I called him an A-hole, the usual business kids do. 2 or 3 years later he was spending the night at my house, we were each sleeping on a couch in the living room when I woke up and thought to myself, why the hell am I sleeping on a couch when my bed is only a few feet away? I left him in the living room and went to bed. When I woke up I put my feet down and almost stepped on him, he was laying on the hardwood floor next to my bed. I asked him why he was laying there on the hardwood floor when the couch is way more comfortable and he was totally rattled. He told me that he never believed that story but last night it had happened to him too. He was laying against the couch that backs up to the staircase wall and he was woken up by the boom. He described the slow heavy stepping, up, and back down. He freaked and came into my room, that was one of the best “ I told you so’s “ of my younger years.
I was proven right and that I wasn’t crazy or full of BS, plus, he had the S—t scared out of him which made up for the jab or two he had given me about it. It took a little while before he spent the night again so I know it really got to him. The funny thing about it is that I’m a very light sleeper and I never heard a thing.

So, like I said. Not as out there or creepy as the last one but to a kid it was Armageddon.

Telling this reminded me of another time at that house that I saw a dark shadowy figure. If you guys are interested I’ll find some time to write it up.

I used to work as an ecologist about 25 years ago. My job was to go out into forest / wilderness areas and conduct surveys to see what wildlife species were present, for management plans and the like. This one time I was employed on a contract by national parks and wildlife service to go into a remote reserve - the type that doesn't have any outstanding natural features, so no tourists ever go there. It was just these lonely forested hills on the backdrop to a giant lake (reservoir) that was used to manage water flows, out in the middle of sparsely populated farmland.

The job was to go in by myself for two weeks, and run both diurnal surveys (birds, macropods, etc) and nocturnal surveys (possums, gliders, owls, bats, etc.). I was dropped off by the Parkie with all my gear (spotlights, traps, call-playback equipment, hair tubes, etc.) and then he left, so I had no vehicle, just a remote camp. No communications. I would see him in two weeks.

So the first thing I did after he left was set up camp - tent, fire, chair, food, etc. Organise all the survey gear. I wandered around to look at the local area. I was in a clearing among the trees. It was some kind of natural clearing (probably a frost hollow) that had been cleared a bit more by someone, probably for grazing. It wound around through the trees, long and thin, with several branches. Old eucalypt trees all around the edges, big stringy barks. And from my camp I could see a building of some sort across the way.

I went to have a look. There was a couple of old wooden sheds or lean-to's, filled with old equipment and rubbish. There was rubbish and rusting metal lying all around on the ground, overgrown with grass. Bits of old wood everywhere. Old structures rotted away. And next to it all was a caravan, also old and dirty. The door was unlocked, and a bunch of possessions were inside as though someone had been living there. The whole place was spooky, it just felt weird.

Anyway, I didn't like to go poking around it too much, and left it alone... but I could always see it through the trees from my camp. I did some work setting survey lines or traps up, then settled in for the night. Lit a fire, cooked some food, sat on my chair under the sky (I didn't have a tarp or anything that well organised). I remember it being damp, but very still, and very dark outside of the firelight. Forests in Australia are full of sounds at night, some of them strange and unsettling (like the screaming call of the barking owl, the sudden loud thumping of a wallaby or kangaroo going past, the alien sounds of bats flying around using their sonar to chase insects). Anyway, being a professional wildlife surveyor, I was used to all these sounds, and in fact used a lot of them to record the presence of wildlife species.

But there were other sounds. Kind of bangs, thumps, rustling, general movement, nothing I could specifically identify. And they were coming from the camp. The camp was only maybe 100 metres away, so I could hear it pretty clearly. I could have sworn that someone was living there still and was moving around. This made me nervous of course and for a few reasons. I was camped right next to their place. There was not supposed to be anyone there. It was a reserve and therefore no one was allowed to live there, so if they were running some kind of operation it was illegal. Also, I was in a very remote place - there was no one possibly for tens of kilometres in any direction. What kind of person would live out here? What were they doing? And why hadn't they come over to see who I was???

It got the better of me and I wandered over to look. "Hello? Anyone there?" and that kind of thing? There was no one. Nothing, not even animals. And I swear they had been noises no animal would make.

Anyway, I went to bed, nothing happened, worked the next day. I also had to do night work - walking transects through the forest and down trails in the dark, recording calls and searching for animal eyes with a spotlight. Back to camp. More noises. Went to check, nothing was there.

This went on for two weeks. It was spooky and strange as hell, but nothing ever happened, so I just sort of got used to it, and there was nowhere else to camp so I stayed put.

When the ranger arrived to pick me up, he wandered over to the abandoned camp with me and I told him about the noises and asked him what was up with this camp. He gave me funny look and told me that an old guy had been living there, running a few cattle illegally in the reserve. He didn't have a car, just a few people who knew him and would go and deliver him supplies now and then, or help him take his cattle to be sold. He just lived there with his bunch of junk and his handful of cattle, grazing illegally in the reserve and the Parkies just left him alone. He'd been doing it for years (decades?) until he'd grown really old and could barely work any more. Eventually a family member who hadn't heard from him asked them to go and look, and they found his dead body in that caravan, two weeks before I got there.

Well, I'm glad he told me that when I was leaving and not when I'd just arrived!!! :eek:

I used to work as an ecologist about 25 years ago. My job was to go out into forest / wilderness areas and conduct surveys to see what wildlife species were present, for management plans and the like. This one time I was employed on a contract by national parks and wildlife service to go into a remote reserve - the type that doesn't have any outstanding natural features, so no tourists ever go there. It was just these lonely forested hills on the backdrop to a giant lake (reservoir) that was used to manage water flows, out in the middle of sparsely populated farmland.

The job was to go in by myself for two weeks, and run both diurnal surveys (birds, macropods, etc) and nocturnal surveys (possums, gliders, owls, bats, etc.). I was dropped off by the Parkie with all my gear (spotlights, traps, call-playback equipment, hair tubes, etc.) and then he left, so I had no vehicle, just a remote camp. No communications. I would see him in two weeks.

So the first thing I did after he left was set up camp - tent, fire, chair, food, etc. Organise all the survey gear. I wandered around to look at the local area. I was in a clearing among the trees. It was some kind of natural clearing (probably a frost hollow) that had been cleared a bit more by someone, probably for grazing. It wound around through the trees, long and thin, with several branches. Old eucalypt trees all around the edges, big stringy barks. And from my camp I could see a building of some sort across the way.

I went to have a look. There was a couple of old wooden sheds or lean-to's, filled with old equipment and rubbish. There was rubbish and rusting metal lying all around on the ground, overgrown with grass. Bits of old wood everywhere. Old structures rotted away. And next to it all was a caravan, also old and dirty. The door was unlocked, and a bunch of possessions were inside as though someone had been living there. The whole place was spooky, it just felt weird.

Anyway, I didn't like to go poking around it too much, and left it alone... but I could always see it through the trees from my camp. I did some work setting survey lines or traps up, then settled in for the night. Lit a fire, cooked some food, sat on my chair under the sky (I didn't have a tarp or anything that well organised). I remember it being damp, but very still, and very dark outside of the firelight. Forests in Australia are full of sounds at night, some of them strange and unsettling (like the screaming call of the barking owl, the sudden loud thumping of a wallaby or kangaroo going past, the alien sounds of bats flying around using their sonar to chase insects). Anyway, being a professional wildlife surveyor, I was used to all these sounds, and in fact used a lot of them to record the presence of wildlife species.

But there were other sounds. Kind of bangs, thumps, rustling, general movement, nothing I could specifically identify. And they were coming from the camp. The camp was only maybe 100 metres away, so I could hear it pretty clearly. I could have sworn that someone was living there still and was moving around. This made me nervous of course and for a few reasons. I was camped right next to their place. There was not supposed to be anyone there. It was a reserve and therefore no one was allowed to live there, so if they were running some kind of operation it was illegal. Also, I was in a very remote place - there was no one possibly for tens of kilometres in any direction. What kind of person would live out here? What were they doing? And why hadn't they come over to see who I was???

It got the better of me and I wandered over to look. "Hello? Anyone there?" and that kind of thing? There was no one. Nothing, not even animals. And I swear they had been noises no animal would make.

Anyway, I went to bed, nothing happened, worked the next day. I also had to do night work - walking transects through the forest and down trails in the dark, recording calls and searching for animal eyes with a spotlight. Back to camp. More noises. Went to check, nothing was there.

This went on for two weeks. It was spooky and strange as hell, but nothing ever happened, so I just sort of got used to it, and there was nowhere else to camp so I stayed put.

When the ranger arrived to pick me up, he wandered over to the abandoned camp with me and I told him about the noises and asked him what was up with this camp. He gave me funny look and told me that an old guy had been living there, running a few cattle illegally in the reserve. He didn't have a car, just a few people who knew him and would go and deliver him supplies now and then, or help him take his cattle to be sold. He just lived there with his bunch of junk and his handful of cattle, grazing illegally in the reserve and the Parkies just left him alone. He'd been doing it for years (decades?) until he'd grown really old and could barely work any more. Eventually a family member who hadn't heard from him asked them to go and look, and they found his dead body in that caravan, two weeks before I got there.

Well, I'm glad he told me that when I was leaving and not when I'd just arrived!!! :eek:
That’s pretty creepy!
I don’t know what I’d be more concerned with in Australia, an abandoned and haunted camp or all of the nasty venomous stuff that lives there and walking around at night?
I think I’d take a ghost over a funnel web spider

Back