Creepy/Scary Outdoor Stories

Ive been here years ago and got some EVP’s right inside the wall remains of what everyone calls the witches cabin. You can see it at about 13:22 in.

I've been listening to that on YouTube for years now! There's some great episodes! I also like how the host, Vic Cundiff, actually allows his guests to speak without interruption.

Jim

Yeah - I discovered this show right after spending a grand on hammock gear..... I've kinda lost my enthusiasm for sleeping outside in the woods.....

You're right about Cundiff - he's a great interviewer. George Noorey could learn something from him....

So Here goes. I have a really big Labradoodle. He's the best boy and hes over 100lbs (for scale).

I often take him to the local park at night after the lights go out because it's a good change of pace from constant computers/incandescent bulbs.

Anyway, our dog DOESN'T RUN AWAY. If he thinks that you've stopped, He'll come back and look for you. He never goes more than 30 or so feet away. Here comes the creepy part.

I'm walking in the park, down the pathway surrounded by greenery, the only light is the moon. I let my dog off leash and begin to follow him, just taking a nice stroll. Suddenly that "OH HELL NO GET OUT" feeling completely consumed me. I took him by the collar, turned around, and began to leave. I let go of his collar eventually and just sort of sped off, knowing he would follow me. Queue the sound of branches snapping and rustling following me. I say out loud "Ok, Mika. lets get out of here. We're going" and the rustling stopped. I walk out of the park and am now next to the main sidewalk, right on a main road.

Mika isn't there.

I start calling for him, and I get no response. I decide to go back and grab him, but the instant I set foot into the opening, I get that same primal fear. I end up calling my Mom, who was just down the road, as he listens to her more than me. She shows up and starts calling him. Nothing. No clinking of the tags on his collar, no rustling in the leaves... after about 10 more minutes, he comes back out completely fine. He hadn't found or eaten something in the forest (which has happened before on such a walk), He was completely unhurt...

We still have no Idea what happened that night, and it still creeps me out to this day...

FYI, Im in Southern Ontario.

Yeah - I discovered this show right after spending a grand on hammock gear..... I've kinda lost my enthusiasm for sleeping outside in the woods.....

You're right about Cundiff - he's a great interviewer. George Noorey could learn something from him....
That's exactly who I was comparing Vic to in my mind! Lol.

The thing that's put a bit of a damper on my desire to spend time in the wilderness was David Paulides' Missing 411 stuff. I suspect those are some phenomenon (or phenomena) besides dogmen, but I wouldn't want to run into either.

Jim

https://dogmanencounters.com You can also listen to the interviews on youtube. You'll never, ever want to sleep outside again!

How come all the stories I read about these horrible creatures come down to "I saw a scary thing, and ran away." The only victim seems to be a heap of soiled underwear. What kind of predator pops up just to scare you then disappears without attacking?

How come all the stories I read about these horrible creatures come down to "I saw a scary thing, and ran away." The only victim seems to be a heap of soiled underwear. What kind of predator pops up just to scare you then disappears without attacking?

A predator with a sense of humor and a balanced work ethic :D

Ray

Those stories don't freak me out nearly as much as the Kentucky State Wildlife guy who left a taped deathbed account of having been sitting in a boat one morning watching a Dogman rip to shreds and eat two campers.... Or the LBL thing - I'll admit that those freak me out a bit...

That's exactly who I was comparing Vic to in my mind! Lol.

The thing that's put a bit of a damper on my desire to spend time in the wilderness was David Paulides' Missing 411 stuff. I suspect those are some phenomenon (or phenomena) besides dogmen, but I wouldn't want to run into either.

Jim

That whole Paulides' issue is off the charts creepy. To be clear - I listen to this stuff (Dogman, Paulides, etc) because I get bored sitting at a workbench doing the same thing I've done 30-40 thousand times already. It is entertaining (and intriguing) as can be. However, I will admit that I now dress in earth tones.....

Those stories don't freak me out nearly as much as the Kentucky State Wildlife guy who left a taped deathbed account of having been sitting in a boat one morning watching a Dogman rip to shreds and eat two campers.... Or the LBL thing - I'll admit that those freak me out a bit...

And he waited until he was dying to tell anyone?

If I saw something like that, I probably wouldn't have told anybody, either. Yes, it could have negatively affected his pension, and all anybody would've done is ridicule him and turn him into a pariah. If it was true and he really did see that, that would be a helluva thing to live with and be unable to tell anyone because they just wouldn't believe it. Lots of people don't even take that into consideration.

Jim

If I saw something like that, I probably wouldn't have told anybody, either. Yes, it could have negatively affected his pension, and all anybody would've done is ridicule him and turn him into a pariah. If it was true and he really did see that, that would be a helluva thing to live with and be unable to tell anyone because they just wouldn't believe it. Lots of people don't even take that into consideration.

Jim

Well I'm not saying I don't believe his story but... I don't.

Jim

I get that.

Well I'm not saying I don't believe his story but... I don't.

I'm not sure what to believe. It wasn't all that long ago that Pandas were considered to be a myth. Every now and then someone runs into a species of one thing or another that was believed to be extinct.

On the other hand, there are people who just make stuff up.

I've lived long enough to realize that there is value in keeping an open mind and not formulating an opinion if there is not enough evidence to support it one way or another.

This whole topic is entertaining nonetheless - sorta like a grown up version of telling scary stories around a camp fire.

I don't necessarily believe all the dogman stories. I'm not gonna say someone is lying, but I just don't know. But I'm keeping an open mind.

Although I've never seen a "monster" or a "cryptid," I have had several experiences off and on throughout my life that some others totally disbelieved, but I knew they happened because I experienced them. And a couple of instances where they happened with other people present, they freaked out. They don't happen all the time, but when they do, it's obvious. I don't find it overly scary, though, except for a couple times around 30 years ago. Mostly the experiences have been neutral or positive.

I usually listen to Dogman Encounters on my iPad while I'm cooking.

There's another "true" horror story host who goes by the moniker "Dark Waters," but he took his stuff off of YouTube and made it for subscribers only, so I stopped following his stuff. He had some freaky stuff as well, about all kinds of things.

Jim

I’ll tell another one.
It wasn’t as frightening as the other posts but I was an adult when this happened and I had a rifle, so that helped a bit.

This one happened when I was down in WV hunting on family land between Beckley and Dawson, much closer to Dawson.
We had a lot of family living there in different homes that were all in close proximity to each other with all of them having bordering land, except those that are split by interstate 64.
The building that we were staying in was built back in the 1800’s and there had been a few rooms added on over the years. A few years earlier it was a great place to stay since a relative was living there, 3/4’s of the way to the top of the mountain and only accessible by horse or ATV, all alone, other than his dog.

Creepy fact, the family that lived in that house during the flu epidemic in 1917 died, all of them.

The mountain quickly took back the home and I could star gaze looking through the roof while laying in bed. My Dad and I stayed in a sectioned off corner of the building that had two old nasty beds in it. The bed I used was situated along an interior wall and made it so that my head was against an exterior wall with a window ( of sorts ) right next to my head. The window was an old piece of storm door glass held in place by a few bent nails and not really an exact fit for the hole it was trying to fill but good enough to keep most of the bugs out.
My Dad was sideways along the other wall at my feet. An aisle way went between us to a glass storm door that led to the wrap around porch which surrounded both exterior walls of the room and had a 4 step staircase to the yard right at the corner leading down the path past our storm door.
The storm door had a tiny deadbolt that latched behind a tiny I bolt that was screwed into the wall. You probably understand by now that I’m making the point that the building isn’t exactly very tight or secure, though I have to admit that two of the three other exterior doors were actually doors and the fourth was another flimsy aluminum screen door. Since my Dad and I were the only ones staying there I’d just unload the chamber of my M1A (Socom 16 variant) and put that round back into the magazine and then click the mag back into the gun on a closed bolt.
You may be thinking it’s an odd choice for a deer rifle but I bought it because it was a neat civilian version of the M14 that my Pops carried as a Marine in Vietnam and he liked it. It ended up becoming a deer rifle because I like the .308 caliber for WV deer and I got tired of worrying about messing up my nicer rifles while 4 wheeling on the ATV through the woods to my blind.
My Dad carried his Rem700 in 7mm Mag that he used across the country since returning from the war. He always completely unloaded it and put it back into the case at night.

Sorry for the long intro, but I feel like it helps if you understand where I’m at when I try to tell the story.

Dad and I had been on the other side of the mountain at his uncles place having dinner. They played cards and drank some beverages.
I relaxed after a long day of hunting by the wood burning heater and slipped off the cold of the day. I actually hunt whereas the others usually sleep in their blinds from too long of nights at beer camp instead of deer camp.
We rode the 4 wheelers back to the camp well after dark, maybe 10:30 or 11:00.
The woods seemed off, but, I don’t live there and I admit that I’ve had very strange “ feelings” in these woods before that turned out fine so I ignored it.
My Dad had probably had 1 too many and was ready to sleep, while he was getting ready I walked out onto the porch, just outside the storm door to relieve myself. There’s NOBODY AROUND so I decided to just go off the side of the porch while looking out into the long unused mini apple orchard that had a creek running through it. While I was thinking that the place is absolutely beautiful I heard this sound, a scream or howl kind of mixed together, it was extremely unnerving.
The sound came from down the trail along the creek at the bottom of the mountain. As whatever it was wailed it was obviously moving in my direction giving an urgency to finish doing what I was doing.
I stood there doing my business wondering what the hell that sound was. It wasn’t a wolf, or a coyote, or a bear, or a mountain lion, or anything else I could think of. I remember thinking that it wasn’t Cousin Bert crying because he spilled the last of his moonshine and started to laugh to myself but just as I did that it happened again, except this time it was already more than halfway up the mountain, really, really close to where I was standing and heading directly towards us. It had only been a few moments, whatever it was had covered an unbelievable amount of ground, going uphill, in the pitch black of night quicker than I could do it on the ATV. This howl lasted longer than the first one but they both started out as a quieter yell that grows louder and more intense and then winds back down- the tone was so very creepy.
Obviously I decided that it was a priority to get my ass inside ASAP.
I went in and asked my Dad if he had heard it, he asked me what?
I told him I don’t know what it was but I know everything that it wasn’t and ran down a list of the obvious culprits.
Making a joke he asked me if it was Bigfoot, I laughed and while I was explaining that I don’t know what it was something HUMONGOUS ran up the stairs right outside my window and ran down past the storm door. It was so heavy that the entire place boomed and shook with the steps.
We both jumped and looked towards the door but didn’t see it go by in the dark through the glare of the light on the dirty glass. Whatever it was was definitely two legged, heavy, and FAST!
My Dad has been through a lot in life and I don’t think I had ever seen him scared but when he looked at me and yelled “ you got that rifle ready? “ I could see in his eyes that he was feeling the same way that I was, a real nice mix of confused, curious, and very worried.
It totally creeped me out!
I laid there awake all night waiting for something to yank me through that single pane of storm door glass right next to my head just like a Jack Links beef jerky commercial. Needless to say, I did get that rifle ready, for what, I don’t know. I’ll never know what it was but I can tell you that it ran on two legs and when it ran down that porch next to me it shook the building. I’m 6’3” and 230 pounds. When I tried to duplicate the run it didn’t even come CLOSE to causing the boom and shake that my mystery encounter caused. This thing ran up a mountain covering an unbelievable amount of ground in the time it took me to relieve myself and walk back in the door. It howled twice while still moving clearly indicating which direction it was traveling and didn’t seem to slow down to do it. All this in the dark before running along the porch and continuing to only god knows where.

I’ll ask you guys, have you ever seen a predator like a wolf, coyote, mountain lion, etc. keep running while it howled?
I sure haven’t

I told this story to my brother in law when I got home and he laughed and looked up a YouTube vid that was supposed to be Bigfoot howling. To my surprise it sounded exactly like what I heard.
Probably hunted for 25 years before that happened and 10 since, never had anything like that happen outside that one time.

I usually don’t tell people this tale because they’ll think I’m more crazy than I am but I figured you guys might get a laugh out of my encounter that lead to an extremely long night of terror laying in that ratty bed waiting for only god knows what to happen.
I can honestly say that it totally sucked then, but it’s funny now.

Any of you have something like this happen to you ?

Back