crks warranty department leaves a bit to be desired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Factory-like results are easy to maintain if you use the sharpmaker properly, that's why Chris recommends it. I use the brown stones first, then when I get it to where I want it, I go to the fine white stones ( both stones included in the kit ). Then for a mirror polish, I go to my ultra fine stones ( all the while using the sharpie trick ). The finished edges looks like what you have pictured here. It does take time and not done quickly by any means. Its easy to maintain once you get it to where you want it and where it needs to be........I have often wondered if the diamond stones would help speed up this process instead of using the brown stones, but they cost almost as much as a new sharpmaker, so I haven't bought them as of yet as I have had great results with my current setup.......I have seen uneven grinds, even on high end knives. The final edge is done by hand and even though experienced, is not perfect.

Last edited:
Your analogy is poor.......Here is how it would of read if it truly related to this thread..........

No company that I know would allow you to alter/modify/tamper with there product to the point of damage and then replace a components or the whole product for free.

If the OP would have returned the knife to CRK with a short note explaining his sharpening problem and that the knife would be used heavily on a daily basis, I have no doubt that CRK would have replofiled his blade for free making daily sharpening easier. Instead, by his own admission, he took it on himself to modify the knife to the point of no return.

It sounds like the OP has had better luck and usage from other brands. Perhaps when he receives his new rebladed CRK he should post it for sale and purchase something more suitable for his personal needs. Fortunately for him CRK's are highly in demand and he should have little trouble selling what is essentially a new knife.

Except he didn't want to wait days or weeks or however long CRK would take to fix his knife. Is the OP a hired staff member of CRK for Quality Control? No, but that's exactly what he tried (and failed horribly) doing. CRK isn't free of fault, knife never should of gone out with a bad bevel but the OP sure as hell shouldn't have tampered with it without proper knowledge and know how.

Whenever you guys are done obsessing over the details let me know. It's quite comical that you guys can't seem to get it out of your heads, and try to understand the concept don't get lost in the details.

Quote from Thomason sums this situation up best. Let it go!

Last edited:
Due to the blade geometry, when you sharpen a knife, you always have to tilt the blade slightly when working towards the tip. The greatest trick ever is the sharpie trick which I heard about on this forum. You dont have to do 100 swipes to see where your removing metal, sharpie the edge and in one or two swipes, you know where you need to start the blade tilt. Its not hard, just takes experience and yes, Time. S30V, S35V, BG-42 - all your hight end steels are HARD, coming in at 58-60 rockwell. So never expect to swipe it a few times in a hurry and have that factory edge back. Everyone is busy in there day to day life. If you paid $400 for a knife, it deserves the Time given to it to sharpen properly. When I reprofiled my strider smf from the goofy 23 degree angle to the user friendly 20 degree angle, it tool me 2 hours of non stop work on the brown rods, then to the white. Lots of sharpie. It now has a PERFECT edge.

More TRVTH. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It's all good and very genteel here until somebody says something that isn't "CRK is the best." Or, that they have an issue that came from the shop.

The new through-the-roof prices for CRK knives IMHO demands that they be excellent - but sometimes they're not THAT excellent, I've had one of my new new CRK's that had a grind issues too so I feel Spydusse's pain. YMMV...

Anne posts - "The part that has been left out of this forum post is that we can re-profile the blade – and will do it at no charge. The result is that the blade will be less than 1/16th of an inch shorter but it will function perfectly, and the bevels will be at the correct thickness (or thinness, if you prefer!). We are fully supporting our warranty."

Spydusse posted "Chris said they can try to fix but I believe the overall grind of knife I believe would be flawed because of this and it would have quite a lg bevel to make it all even." So who's opinion is that, CRK or the OP? :confused:

Just wondered if Chris said that or if it's the OP's opinion. Too bad to hear this and good luck on your blade. :)

The exact words from heather was chris said he can try to fix it to the best of his abilities but it wouldn't be like new . That was my opinion that stated I don't think they could fix within 1/16th of an inch. I know im far far far from the knowledge of knives Mr. And Mrs. Reeves have but the way the bevel was I beleived in my opinion enough to pay$ 130 more dollars.

I do factory authorized warranty work on electronic products and can tell you that nothing voids a warranty quicker than an attempt to repair the product oneself. In fact, if a non-authorized person even opens the case, the warranty is void! Once the product has been modified, there is no way to tell if it left the factory in a defective state. While it sucks to pay good money for a defective product if you buy something that you think is defective, immediately contact the place you purchased it from. If you don't get satisfaction there, contact the manufacturer. If nothing else works, then attempt the repair yourself.

"CRKs warranty department leaves a lot to be desired." How do you figure? If you had sent it back right away upon discovery of the defect I'm sure they would have fixed it promptly. So why do you feel their warranty dept is no good? You never gave them a chance to fix the problem.

The way I look at it,knives and electrionic items are two different things.It's obvious common sense that if you had a problem with an electronic item or even your car and dismantled it to fix it that the warranty would be void.On the other hand,I do understand spydusse predicament and I'm thankful for his input.Just one of the live and learn experiences.

On another note,does anyone think that $130 for a new blade is a bit steep compared to benchmade's $25. I'm willing to bet if the replacement was only $25 we would probably hear praise.

The way I look at it,knives and electrionic items are two different things.It's obvious common sense that if you had a problem with an electronic item or even your car and dismantled it to fix it that the warranty would be void.On the other hand,I do understand spydusse predicament and I'm thankful for his input.Just one of the live and learn experiences.

On another note,does anyone think that $130 for a new blade is a bit steep compared to benchmade's $25. I'm willing to bet if the replacement was only $25 we would probably hear praise.

I don't.

Would you expect to pay the same for a part from Rolls Royce vs Dodge?

So what you are say is crks hollow grind is worth $105? I would have been a happy customer at $65. Like I said before this wont keep me from getting a wilson combat umnum when they go to s35 but I will have to sneak it by the woman. As she sees it I shouldn't buy them every again:rolleyes:. In the long run it will probably keep me from getting a higher accumulative number of crk s as she said don't ask for bdays and Christmas.

I don't.

Would you expect to pay the same for a part from Rolls Royce vs Dodge?

No I wouldn't but your comparison is a bit biased IMHO. I mean no disrespect to you Tripton but I think your view of CRK offerings is a bit skewed. Just a few years ago the only knife recommended to people in General was "get a Sebenza." It's not like that anymore. There are some real comers as good or better and the Sebenza for instance, is frozen in time. Then CRK raises their already high prices through the roof.

Every complaint brought to this forum is greeted with the table manners of a bull shark - from members right on up to the management. I have found the warranty of a CRK folder is: "If you find what you think might be a problem, then immediately pull your hands away from the knife and send it to the dealer, if they don't replace it you can send it in and we'll confirm that you abused it in some way and it won't be fixed or if it is, reach for your wallet."

So what you are say is crks hollow grind is worth $105? I would have been a happy customer at $65. Like I said before this wont keep me from getting a wilson combat umnum when they go to s35 but I will have to sneak it by the woman. As she sees it I shouldn't buy them every again:rolleyes:. In the long run it will probably keep me from getting a higher accumulative number of crk s as she said don't ask for bdays and Christmas.

Wow, before I scrolled down to your post that's the figure I had in mind for blade replacement. $65 and it sounds fair IMO. I pulled the trigger on a micarta inlay double thumbstud, the week before last but called an hour or so later and cancelled - I can't support this kind of stuff anymore. I don't even carry my new Sebenza. I will keep it because my daughter bought it for me.

Every complaint brought to this forum is greeted with the table manners of a bull shark - from members right on up to the management. I have found the warranty of a CRK folder is: "If you find what you think might be a problem, then immediately pull your hands away from the knife and send it to the dealer, if they don't replace it you can send it in and we'll confirm that you abused it in some way and it won't be fixed or if it is, reach for your wallet

+1 :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back