crks warranty department leaves a bit to be desired

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow - are we still talking about this? :yawn: :rolleyes:

This is like anything, not just knives. Lesson Learned: If you buy something and its not perfect or the way you think it should be, DO NOTHING To The Item, send it back, return it, exchange it for another...!!! The second you say to yourself " I can Fix This ".....You Just VOIDED the warranty and don't have a leg to stand on. To say a MFG. should meet you half way is ridiculous.

I don think its ridiculous. They can still see the factory edge and grind on knife where I am talking about. So why is it ridiculous that they meet me halfway?

...No kidding! The OP already admitted he voided his own warranty (a great warranty, IMO) by trying to fix the "problem" himself. End of story. How is the burden then transferred back to the maker?

I don't see how comparing the blade replacement prices between a company that hand grinds blades and a company that cuts thousands of blades with lasers and grinding machines is relevant. You take your Benchmade apart and your warranty is gone. Why? Because they want to fix their own problems, not the problems created on top of owners trying to fix them.

The OP has already admitted making the wrong decision and I don't see how CRK is at any fault.

...No kidding! The OP already admitted he voided his own warranty (a great warranty, IMO) by trying to fix the "problem" himself. End of story. How is the burden then transferred back to the maker?

I don't see how comparing the blade replacement prices between a company that hand grinds blades and a company that cuts thousands of blades with lasers and grinding machines is relevant. You take your Benchmade apart and your warranty is gone. Why? Because they want to fix their own problems, not the problems created on top of owners trying to fix them.

The OP has already admitted making the wrong decision and I don't see how CRK is at any fault.

Uhm I can safely say Benchmade did not reject my warranty even though:
1. I overgrinded the blade.
2. The handles had been polished.
3. The handles got accidently hit with coarse sand blaster. Meaning one handle looked like a piece of junk. I tried to stand it back to normal but was tough.
4. Had to sand the inside of the Bradley and even explained I had indeed taken it apart multiple times, including polishing the washers.

What was Nolan's (Benchmade's rep) reply? "Oh that's okay man we can work with aftermarket modifications, our warranty is mostly so people don't send their knives in pieces. Not a problem."

1 month later I had my Bradley Alias II's blade replaced and came back super smooth, and extremely nice lock up. No more stuck frame lock, no more play. Solid on all sides.

CRK did not tell the OP to get stuffed. They offered to regrind the blade. He wants them to go back in time and give him a perfect blade from the start. He'll even pay for half the time machine.

The knife was intended as a user. But 1/16" change to the tip is too much for his delicate sensibilities to bear.

CRK did not tell the OP to get stuffed. They offered to regrind the blade. He wants them to go back in time and give him a perfect blade from the start. He'll even pay for half the time machine.

The knife was intended as a user. But 1/16" change to the tip is too much for his delicate sensibilities to bear.

When I buy a new knife ii want a new knife and it was my opinion that it couldn't be reground withing 1/16th of an inch

I don think its ridiculous. They can still see the factory edge and grind on knife where I am talking about. So why is it ridiculous that they meet me halfway?

Because you altered the item first and when it did not work out, you wanted a new one free of charge or offered to pay for half of it. The warranty was voided, end of story. CRK plainly states their warranty, then when people void it, they bitch and complain that the company will not fix it for free or meet them half way...!!!

This happens with every thing purchased, not just knives........ You buy a new car, take it home, beef up the engine, drive it down the road, it blows up, you take it back to dealer saying there is a problem with the engine !!! Is it there fault...??? NO, Plain And Simple !!!

I sold a new in box blade tech magnum pro hunter on ebay this spring. The knife was nib, never touched except for taking pics to list it. The guy got it, emailed me upon receipt and said everything was perfect. A week later, he emailed me saying there was a huge nick in the blade ( pictures clearly show No Nick or blade damage, I still believe buyer dropped it ). He said not to worry as he sharpened it and reprofiled it to a bevel he liked. After all this, he said he wanted the full price back because of the damage. When I refused, he filed a claim. As soon as ebay saw where he stated he sharpened the blade upon receipt of the knife, it voided the buyer protection because......" the buyer changed the original condition of the item prior to contacting me or filing the claim ".

I feel for you, its just a lesson learned like we all have.

I just skimmed over this thread again and I don't see how spydusse can possibly have known that the edge was out of spec. in the 3 days it was used at the nursery.

I mean what are we supposed to do when we get a new knife, other that give it a god inspection. It obviously looked fine as it's never mentioned until he attempted to sharpen it and found a spot that he claims was larger than the 40* setting on the Sharpmaker.

At that point according to CRK, the knife has already been altered and isn't liable for replacement of the blade. This makes me curious as it's kind of a Catch 22. Knife has a spot near the tip that's over 40* inclusive, owner finds this out while sharpening the blade and encounters this spot - then the blade is no longer warranteed because it's been on the sharpmaker.

How is someone supposed to spot a problem like this in advance of the touching up process? Just wondering? Is there some tool that the rest of the forum knows about beside me, that gives this information in advance so that the warranty can be used? :confused:

Last edited:
The Mk 1 eyeball?

Seriously, not yanking your chain.

I just skimmed over this thread again and I don't see how spydusse can possibly have known that the edge was out of spec. in the 3 days it was used at the nursery.

I mean what are we supposed to do when we get a new knife, other that give it a god inspection. It obviously looked fine as it's never mentioned until he attempted to sharpen it and found a spot that he claims was larger than the 40* setting on the Sharpmaker.

At that point according to CRK, the knife has already been altered and isn't liable for replacement of the blade. This makes me curious as it's kind of a Catch 22. Knife has a spot near the tip that's over 40* inclusive, owner finds this out while sharpening the blade and encounters this spot - then the blade is no longer warranteed because it's been on the sharpmaker.

How is someone supposed to spot a problem like this in advance of the touching up process? Just wondering? Is there some tool that the rest of the forum knows about beside me, that gives this information in advance so that the warranty can be used? :confused:

I have to agree.
This a great example of why I have a dislike of sharpening systems. Everyone that owns and uses knives should learn to shapen free hand IMO.

I have to be honest and say that while I can see your point I don't see why CRK should have to replace the blade for free or even half price. There is also the "if they do it for you they have to do it for every one" problem.

The Mk 1 eyeball?

Seriously, not yanking your chain.

Well I guess not :p Google results:

It’s no coincidence that the British SAS prized so highly a standard peice of equipment, what they dubbed the “Mk1 eyeball”, which is the human eye.

A tool that, when coupled with a keen trained mind, is a match for any intricate array of satellites, staring down through the skies above, with their scrutinizing and unflinching glare.

YouTube Results:

[YouTube]6lDBUKkI_0c[/YouTube]

I sent the knife with the original box and card. I wonder if the person who siigned of on that card also does the sharpening on that knife? If so I wondeer if he has a history of bad edges or if he was a new guy. But im not sure if the signer does the sharpening so... does anyone have knowledge of this?

Here's another shot of the edge I put on my cousins umnum. Again no rocket science involved with edge pro when you're starting out with a even to somewhat even bevel.
250202_105508616206934_100002433890009_53735_864537_n.jpg
only two shots I have of it, hopefully I can get him to thorw up a couple shots closer,if I ever get ahold of him

I dont think any employee at CRK has a history of bad sharpening edges. They dont win quality manufacturing awards evey year for nothing.
How bad of an edge are we talking about? Was it really that bad and couldn't be fixed?

Is all of this seriously because the OP is under the impression that the belly of the blade had a slightly more obtuse angle on the edge than 40 degrees inclusive?

If the angle of the edge of the knife was slightly off, a few sharpenings (or one big one) would fix it. So, sharpen it.

The only way that the edge would look uneven after sharpening at a constant angle would be if the primary grind was off on the blade...which would still be quite evident after sharpening it. Not unlike the old S60V Kershaw Blur blems (which are awesome and performance-unaffected as well).

All I see in this thread is a guy that over-complicates bringing a piece of steel to a sharp apex, and therefore isnt very good at it.

As for the price, a sebenza blade is made to higher tolerances than a Benchmade. It IS going to cost more to produce a blade to .0005" tolerances AND hand fit a blade for perfect lockup than just grabbing a blade blank out of a bin, screwing it into place, and throwing a crappy edge on it.

In the end, you bought a pocketknife, not a holy grail. There is a chance that it isnt going to be perfect. If you are complaining about the cost of admission, well...then you may be better served with a cheaper knife.

If the difference between CRK and other knives isnt evident, it is probably you. That many Blade manufacturing awards don't lie.

And yes if you read my posts you would see I said evidence is still evident. Also I did notice their manufacturing that's why I bought one even though I have spydies in a variety of steels that will hold an edge longer. Is what you are trying to say isthat crk huma employees are perfect and not capable of a flaw on a hand ground knife??????????

Last edited:
I'll be honest this thread is really convoluted and I'm having a hard time identifying the actual problem with the knife.

Was it
a) Bad Edge grind (just the final bevel)
b) Bad Blade grind (the hollow grind itself is uneven)

These are two COMPLETELY different problems. A bad edge can easily be fixed by the user and would never 'void' a warranty. It just means they accidentaly didn't take off enough metal in the beginning. It wouldn't warrant a whole new blade, but just another sharpening. Which would leave you pretty much the exact same amount of metal as a blade with a leaner edge out of box.

But if the entire grind was off, then it's a much bigger problem that you would really only know if you tried to sharpen it. This is a manufacturing defect and the blade would need to be either completely reground or replaced.

I was under the impression that it was the former.

And yes if you read my posts you would see I said evidence is still evident. Also I did notice their manufacturing that's why I bought one even though I have spydies in a variety of steels that will hold an edge longer. Is what you are trying to say isthat crk huma employees are perfect and not capable of a flaw on a hand ground knife??????????

What evidence?

Did I miss a photo? Your descriptions of your "problem" are as incoherent as this sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back