Crosscut Saw Thread

Putting 'em to use :)

vNEarIL.jpg

3NACOk8.jpg

h5QUBup.jpg

BM8F5TC.jpg

Is there any chance that anyone has a Colonial brand saw from Schwabacher’s Hardware store?!?

My understanding is that it is one of the few labels that both saws and axes shared the same brand name. I have one of the axes and would love to pair it up with a saw.

k4BFSDf.jpg

dgEGXBo.jpg

4zKe7mA.jpg

nO3ioG3.jpg

Last edited:
Is there any chance that anyone has a Colonial brand saw from Schwabacher’s Hardware store?!?

My understanding is that it is one of the few labels that both saws and axes shared the same brand name. I have one of the axes and would love to pair it up with a saw.

k4BFSDf.jpg

dgEGXBo.jpg

4zKe7mA.jpg

nO3ioG3.jpg

That's a great axe. I believe I have seen a forum member post a Colonial double similar to yours.
I think there may be a seperate forum member with a Colonial crosscut but not positive.
Where was Schwabacher’s Hardware store located?
I find your quest for a Colonial saw similar to one of my own.
I have 2 supple biddle hardware store crosscuts but looking for one of their axes. They didnt produce the axe or saw, I believe Disston made the saws sold with the Supplee Biddle etch, I dont know who produced axes that are stamped supplee biddle.

20171128-102304.jpg

The etch is faint on the 36" saw here but you can see the outline to the Liberty Bell, similar to the bell used in the Colonial stamp.

Good Luck sir

I have a quite nice and rare 6 1/2' Colonial bucking saw. I may sell it for the right price.
168605178.iY2jGtDO.Z99A9070a2.jpg

168605177.0faO1N6a.Z99A9062a.jpg

168605202.5wMzMTPw.Seattle_Schwabacher_Hardware_1900.jpg

The three Schwabacher brothers’ only sister, Barbetta (Babette) Schwabacher (January 3, 1836 – January 7, 1908), married the brothers’ business associate Bailey Gatzert in 1861. The couple headed in 1869 for Seattle—then a town of barely 1,000 people—where Gatzert established a branch of Schwabacher Bros. & Company. Gatzert would go on to become Seattle’s first (and, as of 2009, only) Jewish mayor. Schwabacher Bros. & Company became Seattle’s first wholesaler, with a business opened October 11, 1869. Schwabachers’ 1872 Seattle shop at Front Street (now First Avenue South) and Yesler Way was the city’s first brick building. Under Gatzert’s direction, the company also constructed a warehouse, a grist mill, and Schwabacher’s Wharf.

Jim

I have a quite nice and rare 6 1/2' Colonial bucking saw. I may sell it for the right price.

The three Schwabacher brothers’ only sister, Barbetta (Babette) Schwabacher (January 3, 1836 – January 7, 1908), married the brothers’ business associate Bailey Gatzert in 1861. The couple headed in 1869 for Seattle—then a town of barely 1,000 people—where Gatzert established a branch of Schwabacher Bros. & Company. Gatzert would go on to become Seattle’s first (and, as of 2009, only) Jewish mayor. Schwabacher Bros. & Company became Seattle’s first wholesaler, with a business opened October 11, 1869. Schwabachers’ 1872 Seattle shop at Front Street (now First Avenue South) and Yesler Way was the city’s first brick building. Under Gatzert’s direction, the company also constructed a warehouse, a grist mill, and Schwabacher’s Wharf.

Jim

That's a beautiful saw and now I most assuredly remember that it was yours I saw and mentioned. I think I first came across it on the other forum.
You have made a great offer for deepthinker, go for it verydeepthinker!:thumbsup::cool:

That's a great axe. I believe I have seen a forum member post a Colonial double similar to yours.
I think there may be a seperate forum member with a Colonial crosscut but not positive.
Where was Schwabacher’s Hardware store located?
I find your quest for a Colonial saw similar to one of my own.
I have 2 supple biddle hardware store crosscuts but looking for one of their axes. They didnt produce the axe or saw, I believe Disston made the saws sold with the Supplee Biddle etch, I dont know who produced axes that are stamped supplee biddle.

20171128-102304.jpg

The etch is faint on the 36" saw here but you can see the outline to the Liberty Bell, similar to the bell used in the Colonial stamp.

Good Luck sir
That is cool! I would love one of the Supplee Biddle William Penn axes!

Jim
Wow! That is really cool! And thanks for pulling up the info on Schwabacher’s in Seattle.
I’m curious though if that saw is actually Schwabacher’s “Colonial” brand? I know many companies made knock-off versions of other companies brands and I’m wondering if that Colonial Bucking saw was a different brand? It doesn’t quite look like the liberty bell design from Schwabacher's but it does have the “rings for quality” logo.

Last edited:
Very interesting rabbit hole I’m down now. Looks like Colonial Axe & Tool co. Was a brand that Mann Edged Tool co. used but I suspect that you are correct about that one being Schwabacher’s with just a slightly different logo for their bucking saws....

Wow! That is really cool! And thanks for pulling up the info on Schwabacher’s in Seattle.
I’m curious though if that saw is actually Schwabacher’s “Colonial” brand? I know many companies made knock-off versions of other companies brands and I’m wondering if that Colonial Bucking saw was a different brand? It doesn’t quite look like the liberty bell design from Schwabacher's but it does have the “rings for quality” logo.
As I understand it Colonial was, according to info in the Axe Makers of North America book, a house brand of Schwabacher's hardware in Seattle. The 1869 date on the saw logo matches the opening of the Schwabacher's hardware store.

This 60" Simonds No. 6 was hanging in my grandfather's barn. Looks to be in good shape with no damage to any teeth and I assume the original handles. Couldn't make out any etching, but there is a good bit of surface rust. Does anyone have any more information on the no. 6 or when they were made?
Qf6Ixgx.jpg

pvc8Wh9.jpg

3I2rWOF.jpg

IlhVlap.jpg

Last edited:
M Malus , The No.6 on the handles is exclusively for the handles I believe. The saw could be almost anything due to the fact that handles rarely stay with the saw they came on. The only way to get info on your saw is to de-rust the blade and look for an etch. Don't get discouraged due to the amount of rust as I have found etches on saws that looked rustier than yours. What I can tell you is that your saw has lots of life left in it. It will make a good first saw for you. J Jim Thode who commented in this thread not that long ago is one of the resident saw experts and has many great saw restoration videos to help you.

M Malus , The No.6 on the handles is exclusively for the handles I believe. The saw could be almost anything due to the fact that handles rarely stay with the saw they came on. The only way to get info on your saw is to de-rust the blade and look for an etch. Don't get discouraged due to the amount of rust as I have found etches on saws that looked rustier than yours. What I can tell you is that your saw has lots of life left in it. It will make a good first saw for you. J Jim Thode who commented in this thread not that long ago is one of the resident saw experts and has many great saw restoration videos to help you.

Right, I should have known the handles weren't an indicator after reading this entire thread :rolleyes:. I will eventually get around to taking a stone to the saw and finding an etch. Obviously I've got some tools and knowledge to acquire if I'm going to get into this restoration, but it's good to know I have a nice candidate.

Reactions: A17
Back