Cult of the peanut , members

A few weeks ago I told the story of a peanut I purchased to replace my father's broken knife that he had carried throughout my childhood and early adulthood. After hearing him tell me how happy he was to have his little knife back I started to wonder if I--despite my love of Victorinox SAKs and larger single spear blades--could find a place for a peanut in my life. So during a recent visit to my local hardware emporium I picked up a plain-Jane yellow CV.

I gotta say...it's as handy on a pocket on a shirt. I'll not eschew my much-beloved SAKs, but I won't begrudge this little gem the tiny bit of pocket space it requires. I love it.

506208BC-796C-49BE-90F9-1C30402B077A_zpsgxz8d9n6.jpg

Psssst, hey Frailer, ya know that the other two items of The Cult can do away with one whole layer of a SAK?

The Sears 4-way and P-38 can in emergency take over screwing and opening duties. I love my Victorinox SAK's, and Victorinox is the golden yardstick that I compare all other pocket knives to. But a peanut and the 'other' Cult items can takeover for a basic two layer SAK if need me. Your pocket will thank you. :D

Psssst, hey Frailer, ya know that the other two items of The Cult can do away with one whole layer of a SAK?

I respectfully disagree. While I keep a Craftsman 4-way screwdriver on my work key ring, and I've carried a P-38 for over 30 years, neither does a good job opening a beer bottle, and picking your teeth with other could be hazardous to your dental health. And I must have my scissors.

Miss the 'nut in the back. Was my one and only example of the breed. The fit was terrific and the blades were just about perfectly centered. Thought it was too small then, so I did a giveaway here. Hope it's getting a lot of use wherever it is now.

I honestly cannot remember the last can I opened, but I do cut and pry things!

Miss the 'nut in the back. Was my one and only example of the breed. The fit was terrific and the blades were just about perfectly centered. Thought it was too small then, so I did a giveaway here. Hope it's getting a lot of use wherever it is now.

This looks like my arrangement.

Oh man, I think I am taking after Darth Resolza...

Case Damascus peanut, desert camo handkerchief, REI no name Fisher space pen (I know I need a pencil but I'm getting there), albuterol inhaler (I'm actually exercising enough to need it again), my Spec Ops wallet Jr is gigantic but I have a sharpening card in there.

I need to take a pocket dump pic...

Darth Vanadium
Grand High Muckba/Sith Lord of the Cult of the Peanut

Hmmm, not a bad paring up if I say so myself! :thumbup:

These two may be candidates for the most used pocket knives I have. Small and sharp, they get it done.

Particularly nice covers on that one, ot. Almost a chestnut appaloosa.

Thanks Jeff, I got to pick this one from 5 or 6 that the dealer had on hand. Some of them had no contrast, all dark no light areas.This one reminds me of smoke drifting
in a dimly lit room.

7B01F9C2-C3B8-475C-8F27-BB1A1E255D64_zpszsdofbdq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So, my peanuts main blade has a pretty nice patina coming along, but my pen blade that I use rather often at work is still shiny.

While it doesn't come into contact with stuff like citrus or anything like the main blade, I'd think the pen blade would have more considering how often I use it?

7B01F9C2-C3B8-475C-8F27-BB1A1E255D64_zpszsdofbdq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So, my peanuts main blade has a pretty nice patina coming along, but my pen blade that I use rather often at work is still shiny.

While it doesn't come into contact with stuff like citrus or anything like the main blade, I'd think the pen blade would have more considering how often I use it?

Patina is all about the acid that reacts with it.

Nice pipe! I've spent a good amount of money on some pretty nice pipes over the years, but some of my favorites to smoke are those Missouri Meerschaums! :D

I especially like these custom nose warmers.

4CD2BD06-D126-46CB-B108-34BC1F00FFE0.jpg

I've enjoyed several of Missouri Meerschaum's pipes during my relatively short tenure as a pipe smoker, and while I enjoy them, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my eye on a nice briar or two.

Can't beat them for the price though!

Got my first Peanut yesterday!
IMG_20170123_215425029_zpsveghb9rj.jpg

I recently picked up my first peanut too. Its just a Chinese made Remington but it made me realize that I do want a decent one. :). I hate I waited this long to give them a try. I also have quite a few knives I don't carry anymore so I may have to try out the trade forum.

58d6814e15260e8de7c956c07458bcc8.jpg

The mighty peanut has been with me evert day since Christmas and I find my self trusting it more and more. Today it it is paired with an old friend from my childhood, the old timer 5OT from the early 90's.

Sent from my E6782L using Tapatalk

So... I rather recently realized that I have been constantly carrying a peanut for around a year and a half now, and decided to post what I've learned thus far, both from the mighty legume, and from the sage advice of The Cult. I especially give a nod to our illustrious Grand High Muckba(Ret.), Carl on the point of sage advice:

1. Most of the time, I actually use the pen blade. It actually made me laugh the other day at work because I work in a very "tacticool" place at the moment. A LOT of modern folders of the latest super steels and fancy bells and whistles are used around my place of employment on a regular basis, but when I see one of those super "hard use" pry-bar-esque knives used to cut tape or break down a box... it's a glorious example of overkill to me now.

2. While I also carry an 84mm Victorinox(Sportsman)for the tools, it rarely gets used outside of opening bottles(wine, beer, coke, etc.) and my keyring of tools has actually been borrowed many times at work because it had the tool for the job. Considering the load I used to carry in the past, my daily "kit" has been lightened and trimmed down to do more with much less. Considering how seldom I've had to use the corkscrew, I may actually downsize to a Vic Rambler or Rally for my bottle opener on my "bat-ring"

3. A flashlight like the little Fenix E01 is nigh INVALUABLE, if only because much like the mighty legume, it disappears until you need it.

4. If you're clever, the peanut will punch a good deal further above its weight than you would ever imagine. To be entirely honest, I have yet to feel like I don't have enough knife in most of my daily settings, and I even use it in a majority of my camping settings of late... just to see what I can get it to do.

5. Y'all are a bad influence, and I'm probably gonna buy another Peanut before long. Gonna see if I can track down one of the Carhartt Molasses Bone Peanuts next. Got a soft spot for the Case/Carhartt collaboration knives since I used the heck out of a Copperlock from that line before I discovered the wonders of the Peanut.

6. I am becoming further enamored wth "the road to small" as it has been so eloquently worded here. My choice of carry gun is even undergoing a re-genesis of sorts as I continue to learn how to do more with less and be more comfortable doing it.

7. I lied... y'all are an amazing influence, and I hope that others like me(young'un as I am) will continue to learn from the wisdom this group continues to provide.

-J

Last edited:
Great post Jofalltrades. I actually started carrying a small aaa light before I got a peanut. They make great pocket companions.

My peanut attacked me today!
I was considering if the peanut was enough knife for me or not and she must have read my mind. She bit me good. I told her sorry, gave her a kiss and , put her back in my pocket. Guess Brownie got a little jealous.

Sent from my E6782L using Tapatalk

Back