Cult of the peanut , members

Wow! A laser sight on a tiny .22!

Is that Old Timer called a "peanut"? Doesn't have the pen, like the Case. Nice knife!
It doesn't need a pen blade to be a peanut. Case made peanuts in many different configurations.
One, two and three blade peanuts:
CampfirePeanut3.JPG
Four blades and scissors (not mine)

fivebladepeanut.jpg

... there is indeed a Schrade 72OT Dog Leg Jack that is Schrade's version of the Peanut, sans pen blade. It was in the Schrade catalogue from 1986 to 1996.

Now the search is on for a nice NOS 72OT... 🍻
You've got that backwards. The 72 has a pen blade and the 12 does not.
I consider them to be peanuts.
A 72 and a 12
schrade72ot.JPG

Your last couple of posts have been quite educational mbkr mbkr . One of the many reasons I come here 🍻

I've probably posted this before...
A couple of different Schrades and an Uncle Henry Ducks Unlimited 12UH. The maroon Heritage has severe wobble, and being a Swinden (sp?) key design is beyond my ability to fix. Good thing I have more knives :):thumbsup:
Schrade Pal Group 2.JPG
-

Last edited:

I've probably posted this before...
A couple of different Schrades and an Uncle Henry Ducks Unlimited 12UH. The maroon Heritage has severe wobble, and being a Swinden (sp?) key design is beyond my ability to fix. Good thing I have more knives :):thumbsup:
View attachment 2231865
-
Nice grouping. All handsome knives, but that lower Old Timer really catches my eye. There's a lot to be said about the simplicity of that scale pattern.

You LOST that in your knife drawer? That’s a knife I’ve always admired. I guess I’ve lost my kids occasionally but usually not for very long
Yeah my son (17) wanted to explore one of my knife drawers so we dumped it on the bed and found that I actually had 2 of them. one was a carry and another, still in box, was a spare. I have not been carrying traditional knives for a few years as most of the ones I love have pulls that exceed the strength of my nails.

Im sort of a lurker here, reading and enjoying much, posting little.
Have mercy with me.

After having my '18 Stockman in my pocket the last 3 weeks during holiday where it was plenty blade for the pocket I thought about Carls path of knife-nutness and the Peanut I have left behind at home.

Back home I instantly dusted it off and slipped it into my pocket, today for a walk in the woods with my family.
Again, this little bugger did all I asked for.
Cutting apples, opening food packages, even making a small walking stick for my 6yo. Notch and break.
Great cutter, razor sharp it did a good job.

But...

....but I am still not totally in love with this pattern.
My Case Barlow and Case Working Jack have almost the same bladelenght but offer full 4 finger grip while the Peanut is a 3finger hold at best.
When working with it it somehow wanders into my hand with my finger almost on the blade.

I get Carls intention of Ötzis blade and the short cutters at construction sites.
But both have full size grips on their small sharps.

I am struggling. But I will go on and keep trying.

Michael

DSC-3169-1.jpg

DSC-3150-1.jpg

Have mercy with me.

After having my '18 Stockman in my pocket the last 3 weeks during holiday where it was plenty blade for the pocket I thought about Carls path of knife-nutness and the Peanut I have left behind at home.

Back home I instantly dusted it off and slipped it into my pocket, today for a walk in the woods with my family.
Cutting apples, opening food packages, even making a small walking stick for my 6yo. Notch and break.

But...

My Case Barlow and Case Working Jack have almost the same bladelenght but offer full 4 finger grip while the Peanut is a 3finger hold at best.
When working with it it somehow wanders into my hand with my finger almost on the blade.

I get Carls intention of Ötzis blade and the short cutters at construction sites.

Michael

DSC-3169-1.jpg

DSC-3150-1.jpg

Nice write up and welcome! After many years of carrying a peanut off and on, I find the the vast majority of my tasks and my days only need a small sharp blade. Light cutting tasks that don’t need a strong grip or leverage. However, if I was cutting a walking stick or something else that required me to grip the knife, I’d be reaching for, or wishing for, a different knife.

I very much appreciate the peanut disappearing in my coin pocket. I like they way it opens and closes. I like the way of feels. It excels at most my tasks, can handle most of the rest, but like every knife I own it’s a compromise. I have not found the perfect knife.

So, it’s ok! I think it’s good you are trying it a little longer. It may click with you, or perhaps it won’t. No harm either way. I find that when I move on to something else, I eventually get to missing my peanut and back into my pocket it goes. You may end up feeling that way too but if not, the experience of trying it out is still worth it.

Hi Everyone,
Long time lurker, but also a long time peanut lover. It's actually the reason why I finally joined BF!

Here are my two, a 2016 hunter green sawcut bone and a beautiful grey sycamore which arrived with me today.

Cherish them both as they're not the easiest little knives to get hold of in the UK.

I can't tell you how many pocket knives I've been through over the years trying to find 'the one' (or two in this case!) but I think the search is finally over. These feel so great both in the pocket and in the hand.

What say ye, Old Grand Muckba? Am I in?
IMG_20230818_124532323~4.jpgIMG_20230818_124738850~2.jpg

Have mercy with me.

But...

Michael

DSC-3169-1.jpg

DSC-3150-1.jpg
Nice green hunter bone, our peanuts are twins 😀

Bucketofblades I feel your pain,been trying to find a hunter green peanut in canada for awhile.

Bucketofblades I feel your pain,been trying to find a hunter green peanut in canada for awhile.
I actually managed to track this particular nut down from a site in the Netherlands of all places. I haven't seen green hunter bone in the UK.

I hope our American pals realise how lucky they are to be able to pick up a Case so easily from brick and mortar stores! I've been very lucky with F&F buying blind online though so far

I hope our American pals realise how lucky they are to be able to pick up a Case so easily from brick and mortar stores! I've been very lucky with F&F buying blind online though so far
Doesn't hurt to remind us once in a while :thumbsup:
Truth be told, most of my Cases have been purchased online.

Back