• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Custom Benchmade Scales

Is your personal large grip for sale? ;)

Absolutely love my scales from you, keep up the good work.

Thanks for the awesome review Auston.

[video=youtube;-_g5itxszGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_g5itxszGI[/video]

Last edited:
These are some fine lookin scales, I'm tempted to go buy a knife just to have your scales. I was fortunate enough to work on some production line Walter Brend stuff and I would have loved to have had some of your work with his blades.

Step 1: Buy a Griptilian or already have one in your possession.

Step 2: Order scales from Deathofallthings.

Step 3: Wonder why you didn't order sooner and why Benchmade doesnt make them this way from the factory.

Thanks, this makes an amazing blade.

1qPcTqK.jpg

Boy am I glad I stumbled upon this. Looks like another Ritter grip is necessary because your work is absolutely stunning!

Super clean. Are you going to do 710s? Or perhaps any other BM? Thanks

I know the pics pretty much speak for themselves, but I too wish to express my endorsement. The materials, fit, finish, and customer service is simply superb. My personal favorite is the silver twill scales on my blacked out Mini Grip. Stunning!

I want to order a set of mini grip scales in cf. Can you pm me or email me your payment info and how long it would take? Thanks.

Wow, these are VERY NICE! That CF/Ironwood is insane! I may just have to get another Grip so I can get this scales!

Let me ask, do any of these scales help slim down the Griptillian's at all, or are the handle widths the same? To start I am just interested in the "plain Jane flat peel ply version" Anyone have any measurements on those?

Any chance you can do these with metal? Like if I sent you a bar of damascus/timascus/mokume? Haven't decided on a final design yet, just wondering if it's possible. Also, can the 940 be done with bolsters?

Wow, these are VERY NICE! That CF/Ironwood is insane! I may just have to get another Grip so I can get this scales!

Let me ask, do any of these scales help slim down the Griptillian's at all, or are the handle widths the same? To start I am just interested in the "plain Jane flat peel ply version" Anyone have any measurements on those?

My regular contour shape is the exact same thickness as regular griptilian scales. The flat versions are technically thinner, the mini flat scales are .15 compared to .19 per scale, and on the large they're .19 flat compared to .25 contoured. That's about as thin as you can go on both sets, any thinner and you'll bottom out the pivot screw on the pivot before it clamps on the scales. So if you went any thinner you'd have to not counterbore the pivot and pivot screw which looks like crap. That said... the flat ones are thinner at the thickest point of the knife, but around the edges, they're actually thicker because of the way the contour is rounded slimming down toward all the edges. The effect of which is they thinner scales don't really feel any thinner in the hand.

Any chance you can do these with metal? Like if I sent you a bar of damascus/timascus/mokume? Haven't decided on a final design yet, just wondering if it's possible. Also, can the 940 be done with bolsters?

I'm not working with any metals right now. My mill just isn't set up for metals. It's set up for vacuum and dust collection, not coolant and chips. Not to mention it's a little small and underpowered for damascus and timascus... both of which are difficult to machine because of the way they transition into different metals through out the piece.

I've been looking into upgrading to larger mill for a while already, but I think it will be some time before I pull the trigger on one, then some more time to get it into position and set up in my shop. So for now, it's mainly composites and wood for me. Sorry.

As for the 940, it's so thin and only has the half liner, I don't think I'd do a bolster with it. I think that would only turn out well if you could do metal for the back half the way benchmade always has, and like I said, I'm not doing metal scales right now.

Back