Daily Carry Pen?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul Davidson:
...My biggest problem with them is that every one that I've had, and every Fisher refill I tried would start oozing ink around the ball. I'd go to write something and there would be a glob of ink completely covering the tip. I got tired of having to wipe the thing off every time I went to use it. Has anyone else ever had this problem?
</font>

I use to, with the medium black refills, but not any longer. I think there were quality control issues, but these have been resolved. Apparently Eversharp pressurized refills garnered complaints among ballpoint users on the pen newsgroups, and they advised sticking with the actual Fisher refills. I know you said you used Fisher refills, and I have tried both, and have now gone back to Fisher exclusively with no globbing on either the point tip or the page. You might take a look at http://www.fisherspacepen.com/ or http://www.thewritersedge.com/ a shop down the street from Fisher's in Bolder City, Nev.

My favorite pen is a Bic four color plastic job. I think it is made in France. I like the colors: black, blue, red, green.

But I think it is time for a purpose-built, street legal tactical pen. Something in ti maybe, with rounded ends, a no-slip body and perhaps a choice of sizes (medium, large, mega). HD aluminum would work, too.

I really liked those U.N.C.L.E. pens. You could talk on them, and they seemed to work better than my digital cell phone. Does anyone know if they actually could write, too?

Wistfully,

Karl

------------------
"Celebrate the diversity of inclusive, self-esteem nurturing, multicultural weapons arts." Karl Spaulding, The Safety Guy

Ulsterman,
Thanks a lot for your reply. I really loved my Space Pens, and they are the best for when wearing jeans. I'll have to try some newer Fisher refills. I went through 4 or 5 Fisher refills a few years ago and just got tired of it. At the time I was really surprised they were globbing up on me because I had had several cheaper plastic Fisher Space Pens as a kid without any problem. My only other issue with the bullet style is that if you drop them on a hard floor they always dent on the butt end. It doesn't affect performance, but irritates me none-the-less.

------------------
Paul Davidson

Them:"What's that clipped to your pocket, a beeper?"
Me:"Uuh....yeah, something like that."

My daily carry is a Sensa. When I feel the need to impress someone, I carry my Mont Blanc. If I'm going somewhere I can't carry a pocket knife (like jury duty or an airplane), I carry a Lami tri color. Still looking for the perfect one.
smile.gif

I have carried a Fisher space pen in my front right pocket for years, it is dependable, durable, sleek and writes anytime, anywhere! I thought it was the bomb until I came across the Millenium. This Fisher Spacepen (a fatter bullet style) is guaranteed to never run out of ink in my life! How cool is that! I've had two now, the first one would glob up @ the tip and ruin my paper so I sent it back and they sent me a new one! It works great! BTW, about a hundred bucks.

I don't really have a daily carry pen. I have many fountain pens an rotate among them (about 5-6 at a time). My favorite (subject to change) is the Pelikan 1000. Some day I hope to get one of Grayson Tighe's www.tigheknives.com/Fountain.html . Very nice; I'd like one of his father's knives too (big surprise).

Anthony Lasome

------------------
AKTI member A000873

[This message has been edited by alasome (edited 04-03-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul Davidson:
. My only other issue with the bullet style is that if you drop them on a hard floor they always dent on the butt end.</font>

I redid a search on the alt collector pen newsgroup through goggle and found the quality control reference I tried to cite in my earlier post about Fisher refills. The globbing occurs with refills in which the tolerance, where the ball fits into the housing, is too loose for the pressurized ink charge. Apparently Fisher had this same problem, the newsgroup posted wrote, until they went to a point manufacturer in Switzerland. Don't know if this is truly so, but thought it made sense. BTW my Space Pen is also good and dinged up on its bottom from bombing the floor; never dropped it with the cap posted though.

I rotate between:

Cross ATX rollerball (blue)
Cross Townsend rollerball (green)
Waterman Laureate fountain (gunmetal)
Waterman Carene rollerball (green)

Ulsterman,
I appreciate your info on the Space Pens. I dug mine out and found that ink was not only globbing around the point, but around the plug at the other end of the cartridge also. I am contemplating sending it back to Fisher, though I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I started digging through some old pens and mechanical pencils that I haven't carried in years and found one of my cheaper Fisher Space Pens that I had years ago. I found one with a cartridge that says 2/85 on it and still works! I am assuming 2/85 is the date of manufacture because of the way it was written and the time frame I bought it in. Sixteen years old and it still writes perfectly. Not a sign of leakage anywhere on it. The only problem is that it's blue ink, and I really like black ink, but I can live with that. I'm glad to have my bullet pen back in my pocket.
biggrin.gif

Paul

Don't have one right now, 'cause I lost my daily carry pen of 15 years about 9 months ago and haven't yet found an adequate replacement. It was a $20 parker stanless steel fountain pen. Apparently so plain you can't even find it on the websites showing the old pens. I still have some of the ink cartridges for it, every time I see 'em I miss that pen.

Dave

------------------
A syllogism is a logical statement in three parts.
This is not a syllogism.

Kkimo, it you have a photo of your old pen, send it to me and maybe I could help you. I think I can locate it for you, but I need to know the exact model. Is it one with a "stepped barrel" so that the cap fits flush in the open position?

Oooh, Retro 51 Tornado with a fisher cartridge. Very Nice. Just sent my fisher bullet pen back in to be refinished. The black matte finish was pretty worn after 6 years (whine).

How are the titanium plated finishes holding up?

------------------
-j-
Boise, Idaho

My daily carry pens are a Pelikan M1000, Namiki fountain pen, and a Pelikan ball point. I sometimes carry a cool ball point that I got from Sandra Brady. The body is made out of a beautiful wood, and the top is ivory with a tiger scrimmed on it.
smile.gif

I personally don't carry a Pen cause I'm outside on the Farm most of the time but my sife swears by her Sensa pen. The Sensa pen has a small area near the end where the users fingers grip the pen that is a soft gel like pillow. And like the Fisher Space Pen the Sensa pens have pressurized cartridges that allow the user to write upside down, on greasy paper, under water, on the moon, etc.
smile.gif

------------------
Green Acres is the Place To Be, Hard Livin is the Life For Me.

I've got three main pens. I have a Fisher Bullet (chrome) that I like for it's remarkably small size. It goes in my pants pocket and I don't notice it. I also have a Fisher Futura (gun metal) that I love for its balance, weight, and appearance. It's beautiful! However, I have to admit that the pen I use for 90% of my writing is the Sanford uni-ball Gel RT. Sure it costs only $1.50/each, but nothing I've tried writes smoother and clearer than this Gel Ink pen.

/mel
biggrin.gif

COOL, I finally started a thread that people liked! :^)
I also like the Sanford gel pens...but IMHO they still aren't as smooth as the Schaeffer rollerballs. No scratching and no pressure at all. The refills on those run maybe $2.50 or so, the pen body can cost anywhere from $10 to $50 or probably more (I have to admit, I sprung for one of the higher-end ones).

Sooo nice to have a pen that feels good when you write.
Has anybody else noticed this about the Schaeffer rollerballs? How would the Cross Selectip or other "nice" rollerballs compare? Are there any that don't soak through the paper quite as much?

Does the Sheaffer Rollerball soak through? Is the ink permanent?

The problem I have with most rollerballs (in addition to the scratching and soak through) is that the ink isn't permanent. A drop of water on it makes the ink run like mad. The Sanford Gel Ink does not soak through and it's extremely permanent -- I even ran a sheet of paper with writing under the faucet!

It seems that most Gel Inks are permanent, except for the Cross Ion Gel. I was very disappointed with the Ion. Plus, although it's supposed to be short enough to fit in the pocket, it's too thick! The Fisher Bullet is sooo much nicer.

/mel
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Skyline (edited 04-15-2001).]

I don't know. Let's see.

[Opens pen...there's a piece of paper on the table and a few drops of water in the cup...]

O.K. results of experiment:
I wrote a letter "M" (okay it was really just a scrawl that looked more like an "m" than any other letter) in one corner of the paper.
I meant to just drip a few drops on but actually I spilled, and that corner of the paper is now very wet.
Results:
The "m" is still distinct and visible, so I guess it's permanent. Right next to the dark blue line of the "m" there is now some light blue shading.
I also tried writing on the wet paper, and it was impossible. I then had to scribble a bit before the pen would write on dry paper.
Conclusion:
The ink is pretty much permanent and didn't really smudge even after getting wet and being rubbed (I rubbed it a bunch too -- this ink is pretty good against rubbing, even when you've just put it down and it looks wet).

However, this is not conclusive because no government money has yet been spent. Therefore I will require a 5-year grant including $250,000 for equipment (two sports cars, two new mountain bikes and a few nice knives), $500,000 for laboratory space (new house), and $150,000 for experimental materials (some flashy pens) and two part-time research assistants (Natasha and Veronique...)

Back