Daily Carry Pen?

Due to favorable exchange rates and the influence of older, wiser colleagues a few years back I picked up a MontBlanc ballpoint overseas. I take it to work everyday. Very good feel and distinctive. Also when I reluctantly lend it someone, they know it's a nice one so they're sure to give it back.
smile.gif

This is a little off topic, because I don't carry one, but it is a pen.

http://www.beststuff.com/articles/20000609123027/

It's an ink pen that keeps what you write in its memory, and transfer it to a PC, PDA or whatever. You have to use special paper though. I would file this under N for neat, and cross referenced in U for useless. I would say it is probably a precursor of new technology to come (IOW if they perfect this it could actually be really useful). There is no price given at the above link, but I don't even want to know.

Paul

I carry my Rotring 600 (with gold accents)set that I rec'd about 4 years ago formy birthday. I had a Mont Blanc, but the refills SUCK! So, I asked for this set (about $90.00 for both) and have loved them both. They are very well balanced...love those heavier pens/pencils...and they write very well. One thing that I want to find is a good pen, small and one that has a stylus on/in it. The bullet with a stylus looks promising. Anyone have experience with that one? What about the clip...yeah or ney?

------------------
David P. Sproles
Eagle Scout Class of 1988
"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Prov. 27:17

I was going to suggest the Fisher Bullet with the stylus on the end. As far as the clips go on the Bullet pens, I don't like them much. The clip is only held on with spring tension since the pen is so smooth. My newest bullet came with the clip and it kept sliding off, so I just ditched it. I would never clip a pen that short to anything anyway. I guess it's just a matter of taste.

I think Rotring makes one of their triple action pens that has a stylus in it, but that doesn't really qualify as small.

Let us know what you decide on.
cool.gif

Paul

Fisher Space Pen, bullet style, chrome. I've carried it every tour of duty for about three years now, never a problem. I've always ordered refills right from Fisher and haven't had any trouble.

I can also back up the post about the clips on the bullet pens not being worth much. I don't have one, but once the guys at work saw my pen they all wanted one. Of course they were gonna' do it better than me, so a couple of them ordered the ones with the clips. They have a definite tendency to fall out of the pocket that they are clipped to due to the short length of the pen. This caused one of the guys to have to order a new pen about two days after the first one arrived. Makes me wonder... Is it designed to fall out of the pocket and just roll back to the factory?
wink.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul Davidson:
...As far as the clips go on the Bullet pens, I don't like them much. The clip is only held on with spring tension since the pen is so smooth. My newest bullet came with the clip and it kept sliding off, so I just ditched it. I would never clip a pen that short to anything anyway. I guess it's just a matter of taste.</font>

It seems like I'm climbing up on your back here on this thread, cause nearly every post you make seems like I've come with a comment, but shucks man, you and me seem to be in the same Fisher boat, you know what I mean? I have a black coated bullet with a clip that I wanted to keep in my daytimer loop, but the clip kept popping off just as you say it did, until I epoxied it with Devcon 5 minute clear epoxy. Has worked like a charm these past three or four years with just that first application. By the way, the black coating on the clip doesn't seem as sturdy as the coating on the pen itself, as it has mostly worn away at the top and bottom bends of the clip. Have we exhausted this bullet pen business yet? Probably not, huh?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Have we exhausted this bullet pen business yet? Probably not, huh? </font>
Nope.
biggrin.gif

Epoxy! Why didn't I think of that? I hate it when I can't think of the most obvious answer. At one point I tried to think of a way to get the clip to stay on (even thought about solder), but I must have not thought hard enough. I have two or three types of two part epoxy around here. I also have an extra Bullet pen cap from a pen that got crushed. Now if I could just find the clip. Doh!

Dirtsqueezer asked, but nobody answered, so I'll ask again. Does anyone have one of the titanium coated Bullet pens, and if so, how is it holding up? I have a couple of knives with BlackTi coating that have held up pretty well, but I don't know if Fisher is using the same process.

Here's another question for you Fisher junkies. On the Fisher home page, in the refill section, they offer invisibleink refills! WTF? This is a joke right?

I also found a site called Penwa that has Fisher refills for $3.20 instead of $4.00. Has anyone ordered anything from them? Sometimes low price doesn't always equal good service (coughbotachahhhemmm) so I was just wondering what Penwa's reputation is. I've been really happy to have my Bullet Pen back for EDC, but locally I can only find the Eversharp refills.

Thanks,
Paul

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul Davidson:
Here's another question for you Fisher junkies. On the Fisher home page, in the refill section, they offer invisibleink refills! WTF? This is a joke right?</font>

Hi Paul, me again. The invisible ink refills are no joke. If you click to make a purchase of this "color" refill, you are taken to your checkout basket where it is revealed that Invisible ink is actually item SPRUV, the last two letters being the operative ones. Craig Johnson at ledmuseum@worldnet.att.net posted on the Photon discussion board on 10/13/00 that having a UV Photon Microlight gives him a reason to get a Fisher pen with this type of refill at http://photonlight.com/forums/photon/?read=1012
The saga continues...

Ulsterman,
Thanks for the info. That's pretty cool. Now I have a reason to buy a UV Photon II and an invisible ink refill!
biggrin.gif

I wonder if we should just start a Fisher Bullet Pen thread?
wink.gif

Paul

I never even heard of some of thse pens until I read this thread. Now I'm ready to upgrade. I went to the Fisher website and they have a bunch of different models. Are their lower end models worth the money? I saw some of their pens at Costco for $16.50. I'm sure that's not their top of the line.

Frank,
I think all the Fisher pens use the pressurzied cartridge. Some are even less than $10. I don't know what model they had at Costco for $16.50, but for a few dollars more you can get one of the Bullet Pens, or if you want a full sized pen, one of the original Astronaut Pens. I think you will enjoy a Fisher, especially if you like ballpoints.

While looking for refills I came across a page where a guy put his Fisher Bullet in an oven with a pizza, at 375 degrees. It still worked fine, even while hot. There was a funny picture of someone writing with it while wearing big oven mitts.

Here's the pen in the oven.

I will say that the pictures could be faked. Also I don't know why my pen would ever get to 375 degrees f, but it is kind of interesting. Kind of like all the destructive knife testing we all seem to love to read about.

Paul

Paul makes a good suggestion. I got my future father-in-law the actual astronaut model. I have had one of teh cheaper ones for a couple of years now and it has been great. I love it. I think I showed a pic of it earlier in this thread. The important thing is that this one was actually cheaper than the true astronaut pen, and it feels more solid in the hand, to me.

Wish they made the Thunderbirds pen without all of the Thunderbirds logo stuff. I really like the design.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Check out the Sensa Minx.

http://www.sensa.com

I just got one. It is small, though larger than a Fisher bullet pen, and can be openned one-handed. Comes with pressurized Fisher refill. Has the Plasmium grip found on the bigger Sensa's. Seems like this might just replace my Fisher!

Ned

Back