Damascus EDC, the start of a journey: Est. 2017 (w. Feb 2024 update).

Question that might have been answered somewhere in the last 19 pages. Do you have to oil/coat the Damascus blades every so often? I know to not cut acidic stuff which is fine (I don't food prep with my pocket knives). I was interested in getting a Damascus Sebenza but don't want to have to walk around with it in my pocket with a thin film of oil/protectant if possible.

Question that might have been answered somewhere in the last 19 pages. Do you have to oil/coat the Damascus blades every so often? I know to not cut acidic stuff which is fine (I don't food prep with my pocket knives). I was interested in getting a Damascus Sebenza but don't want to have to walk around with it in my pocket with a thin film of oil/protectant if possible.
They're stainless, you should have many problems I would just suggest if you are concerned wipe it off after use with food.

Yes, they are stainless. On related topic, there is a product called EDCi that provides dry and tidy corrosion protection for knives. That way you don't have to live with an oily pocket knife blade. Just an FYI, in case you ever need it for another blade. I usually keep a little on my damsascus sebbie, especially in the summer.

Thank you for all the advice! The only rust prohibitor I have on hand is Ballistol, which even when wiped off leaves a residue. I have seen EDCi for years but should finally just make that purchase.

I pay no special attention to the stainless Damascus blade. Cut fruit, oranges, apples all the time. I run the blade under tap water afterwards and never oil it or coat it, as I use it for food prep most days. In my experience, corrosion is not an issue if you are using the knife. I imagine if you let it sit overnight with lemon juice on it, maybe you’d have some rust, but those situations are easy to avoid.

The major consideration is that use diminishes the contrast of the pattern to the naked eye, but rusting or putting doesn’t seem to be any more of a problem than with S35VN. There are some early/fancy non-stainless CRK Damascus patterns that may be problematic, but I assume we are not discussing $4000 dollar Sebenzas with Zebra Damascus for EDC.

RYhpSK0.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a micarta raindrop for my son for his graduation later this year. I cannot wait to give it to him. I’ve always wanted one, couldn’t convince myself to spend the money, but since it’s not for me I’m happy to do it.

I gave my son a choice. He could have a plane Jane 31 or the Damascus micarta. He choose the Damascus and has not put it down. He absolutely loves it, which makes me happy…and a little envious. It’s soooo nice. I’ll share a pic when I can swipe it from him.

Last edited:
This knife came sharp as hell. The edge has a finer polish than others I’ve gotten from CRK. Darn lucky kid. I wanted a sebenza for 25 years before I finally sprung for one. I’ll snap a pic periodically and share. I’d be surprised if he carries anything else.
IMG_1691.jpeg

The steel really wants to take a polish. It does not like a coarse diamond finish. It would always prefer ceramics, shaptons, or nainwa stones to a diamond progression. Should be an ideal match for sharpmaker rods.

Back