Deal Of The Day Update

It's a shame you have to do this.

Just as a clarification:

We still email you with the piece we want, mailing address and the way we will pay. Then wait for you to confirm we got it, and then pay within a day?

It's a shame you have to do this.

Just as a clarification:

We still email you with the piece we want, mailing address and the way we will pay. Then wait for you to confirm we got it, and then pay within a day?

Good question. I know for me personally I send an email committing to buying {insert your DOTD here} and then wait to get confirmation from Yangdu and send immediate payment. I don't think anyone expects payment before they know they got it. if that were the case, I would have paid for 4 khuks and only won one. :)

Wow, how common has this become? Personally, I never send money until I hear back from Yangdu that the DOTD I want is still available, just to save the hassle of trying to issue a refund. And IIRC, paypal often charges commission fees on payments that are refunded, which means Yangdu could end up paying out of pocket just to give the money back, if I jump the gun with paying. But someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you're right about PP.
I too wait for her confirmation, usually within half an hour. Then I pay and she confirms the payment.

You are both wrong, when you issue a paypal refund it refunds the entire amount to the payer with no cost to the payee.

You are both wrong, when you issue a paypal refund it refunds the entire amount to the payer with no cost to the payee.

I didn't think PayPal took a percentage of a refund; but I don't understand why anyone would pay before Auntie even confirms the item has been reserved for them. How would you even know how much to send without the shipping quote from Auntie?

When I spoke to Auntie last week, she mentioned someone or some people not paying her after emailing for the DOTD. Then, she posted this the next day. makes me think it happened multiple times over several days. Also makes me wonder if someone is having a little fun by blocking the rest of us during the shark fest. Emails are a dime a dozen and anonymous enough when you set up an account. Otherwise, I can't imagine some one actually getting a DOTD then not going through with it. They are hard to get! Kind of like winning a mini lottery! I hope it passes quickly.

The troubling thing is, in all the years I've been here, I don't remember anything like this happening. Traditionally, its been: "I'll take it", then Yangdu confirms, then you make prompt payment with appropriate communication. My impression has been that this is how Uncle Bill set this up from the beginning in 1999 (?).

Why someone would want screw this honorable system of commerce up for sake of being a "Big Shark" or to do whatever is pretty damn pathetic.

HI deserves better treatment than that :mad:

The troubling thing is, in all the years I've been here, I don't remember anything like this happening....
Why someone would want screw this honorable system of commerce up for sake of being a "Big Shark" or to do whatever is pretty damn pathetic.

HI deserves better treatment than that :mad:

I think is due to the increased "popularity" of the unique khuk design and the fact that more people are lately in need of one for their "survival bag".
What was more of a "collectors design" with closer circle of buyers (for the western world),
has been resurected to a mass production design by more and more companies, thus leading to more and more people "needing" on-of-those.
Frequently not really giving darn about the history behind it.

Also, krugs will allways exist and every business should be aware of that.
Unfortunately, hand shake deals or gentlement's word look like long extinct those days.

I think all of this somehow arose because of me. You see, I was sent two blades to do reviews on, one I could pay for and did and one I was not able to pay for yet. I did the reviews as I promised and then, since I figured Yangdu knew I was tapped, asked her if I could have a Survival Knife from one of the Christmas sale posts for which I am afraid I assumed she knew I would then pay for later. The very next day she sold the knife I had asked for and so I asked her if it was indeed the one I had asked for and she told me it was, then I asked for a Friendship Knife, which this time I had just sold a few things and could pay for and did. Then she posted this and I can only assume it arises because I am said dead beat.

I have routinely had her pile things up for a month then paid for all of them at the end of the month at payday. She seemed never to have issues with this and each of the replies I got seemed cheery and as though this was OK. I guess I was wrong and will no longer ask for such treatment. I had no idea I was causing such trouble and had I simply been told, I never would have even asked to do what I had been doing for so long. It didn't seem like a big deal since Yangdu never made it seem like a big deal. I know better now.

I will NEVER ask for her to hold a blade I cannot afford at the moment ever again.

I may be wrong as I'm not privy to all the info; but I don't believe warty is responsible. Does that mean he is irresponsible?;)

I think Auntie is talking more of people whom email her saying i'll take it and then don't contact her or send payment for the item initially requested.

You may have been only part of the problem. While she is waiting for payment from a single person, she then cannot afford to give another any grace. However... having her stockpile blades for you and then paying at the end of the month is not the proper way either. She has bills to pay and a business to keep running. One should not be purchasing blades that they cannot then pay for immediately. Doing so puts undue strain and hardship on an already difficult situation. She does not need any more headaches.
One must realise that the nepali people are always unassuming and the gracious host. They do not like to foster confrontation. Even though you may be wrong, most times they will agree with you in order to not confront you with your failings and create ill will. It is not their place or wish to do so. They will speak up only when things become unbearable. We have been spoken to.

Please, everyone, Lets make it easy on her.... Read the stickies and provide all the proper info she needs in your first email. Wait for her confirmation and total bill. Then send her payment at time of sale.
It really is that simple.

as I said, I won't do it again.

I had even spoken to her on the phone.

I guess in the end I simply misunderstood and for this I am sorry. Not sure what more to say.

as I said, I won't do it again.
I had even spoken to her on the phone.
I guess in the end I simply misunderstood and for this I am sorry. Not sure what more to say.

Well...in the end... you allways paid for you buys. be it at the end of month.
If Auntie allows you to do so, she did trust you enough.:thumbup:

I also "stack" but I pay the same day...so I trust Auntie, and she delivers:D

I also think there's more involved here than your isolated case.

Well...in the end... you allways paid for you buys. be it at the end of month.
If Auntie allows you to do so, she did trust you enough.:thumbup:

I also "stack" but I pay the same day...so I trust Auntie, and she delivers:D

I also think there's more involved here than your isolated case.

Exactly.... Thank you Dan!
Warty, my post was not specifically directed entirely to your situation, but to make everyone understand how diffucult it is for auntie, and how we as friends and customers can help allieviate some of the stress and problems.
The biggest problem/worry is those people whom email for an item and then cancel or fail to reply or send payment, which causes her to have to relist or find another buyer.

People get confirmations?! :confused:

I never get confirmations. I see what I like, I post that I'll take it, I send my money.

Then I wait to see if it arrives. Seems like it always does. :)

So, I see a connection. If you see something you want, then pay for it. Don't sit around waiting for a confirmation which may not come.

Andy

I am that, no doubt about it...

While your situation probably contributed somewhat, I believe the issue was more about those who simply had no intention of paying for the items. I'm guessing the change was more likely brought about by stress than a monetary issue though - the products are popular enough to where they'll more than likely sell, but it would be a hassle to re-list them and such. That all said, if this was your method for sharking all those deals, it does seem a tad unfair and I'm glad that Aunty is putting this rule in place. As a working college kid, I have little disposable income and have to save up for the kukris I buy. I've had to miss out on a couple of good deals since I was maybe $20 short and didn't want to take advantage of Auntie's generosity. It seems unfair to be able to stockpile DotDs that you can't immediately pay for and just wait for the next check...

People get confirmations?! :confused:

I never get confirmations. I see what I like, I post that I'll take it, I send my money.

Then I wait to see if it arrives. Seems like it always does. :)

So, I see a connection. If you see something you want, then pay for it. Don't sit around waiting for a confirmation which may not come.

Andy

Seems like that method would cause needless issues. If everyone did it that way, Aunty would have a lot of refunds to work out :(

Last edited:
I guess. I can't remember ever having to have anything refunded. :cool:

Andy

Again, most likely because the rest of us wait for a confirmation that the item hasn't already sold... there's also the matter of getting a shipping quote. If all of us simply posted we wanted an item then sent the money immediately afterward, refunds might be a more common occurrence. There's also the issue of those who simply don't post in the thread claiming an item such as in this DotD - Imagine how much of a hassle that would have been for Aunty if everyone simply paid for the items after they thought they claimed it first.

There's been quite a few other issues with the DotD lately that I think if we're going to keep it a fair playing field, we should all abide by a certain method that's fair for everyone and less stressful for Auntie. Something along the lines of:
1) Email Aunty & post in the thread about the DotD item(s) you want to pick up
2) Wait for confirmation + the shipping quote
3) Pay for the item
4) Post that you've managed to shark said item
5) Aunty only lists item as **sold** once confirmed payment has been received

Last edited:
Back