Death of a BK9: Resurected

I think another thing that leads to edge blowouts during the winter is the reduced control you have with gloves on- I've had blades that sailed through some idiotic test cut mediums (and yes, Gaston, some of them were 5160) chip on far lesser targets because I got distracted or lazy (or tired) and the blade twisted in my hand on impact. If it's a bitey sort of high flat grind, that'll do it. Gloves don't give the feedback you get barehanded, and you can throw two or three shots without realizing you're wrecking the knife.

Glad that it looks like this will be taken care of :). I actually can't think of a time when anyone posted about anything like this where it wasn't, but its always nice to have it confirmed.

I'm not going to touch on the other steels vs 1095 (which, Becker doesn't actually use 1095, its a variant, etc, but thats not the point). However, of the BK9's that I've seen that have had wraps, the other owners have said that its been about grip, not shock. I'm not sure how a solid tang would really change that much either (then again, I don't get much vibration, as I've explained before that may be because I use a loose-ish 2-3 finger grip and a lanyard). The full tang of my ZK War sword feels about the same to me as the BK9.

There's only one case in the history of the world where a complainer...I mean customer complained of vibrations on a BK9...ahem
And it always comes up, and only ever comes up, every time someone posts a Blade issue. Other than that this BS propaganda spreader never ever contributes or chimes in on any other post with anything useful or worthwhile to read.

Of course it will be taken care of because Ka-Bar backs their products.
Maybe it's a heat treat error, maybe it's a "frozen sap knot whacking like hitting a rock" chip error by the customer... We'll never know, but I believe they'll provide top notch %100 customer satisfaction as usual.

Some day it could be like "Guys...stop cracking ur blades on stupid rock hard materials, thats an axes job this is a knife...we can't be replacing these every day because people are hacking into material that's as hard and dense as stone..."

But this is a one off, not an every day issue, and one in probably tens of thousands...

Does this ever happen with 5160?

Many people think carbon steels are tougher than stainless but they are not. Failures of this kind in 1095 seem very common, but then it is the most commonly used steels for mid-range big choppers, so hard to say. From all I have seen so far I would avoid 1095...

As to the advice not to chop pine with a knife, even in moderately cold temperatures, the whole point of such a design is to chop with it...

Note how commonly BK-9 handles are wrapped: I found this knife to have very high vibrations: I think there would be a market for a true solid tang version...

Gaston

Hmmm Ive never chipped out a BK9 on a palet??? So by your own logic all Scrapyard knives are crap?

I did however accidently hit my stove with the BK9 And with a good 5-6 years of abuse its still cutting and chopping like a laser.

Might be busy setting up for SHOT. Give them a bit; I'm sure they'll get a hold of you.

Ouch that must have hurt!
I'm pretty positive that Ka-bar and Ethan will take care of it.

And IF you're planning to polish it out...I see a bad-ass recurve in your future :)

Still no answer from kabar
I guess I will have to wait a bit more

They're at SHOT show... Allll week. Kinda busy, eh?

Even then, when they come back, they'll 99% want to see it.

Me? I'd call their 800 # and ask address to send it back.

Most of the staff is with me in Vegas ....... A phone call will speed things up,, maybe....definitely the worst week of the year to have a problem..... Rest assured that we will fix this...... If you can wait t'ill Tues when the pressure in Olean will have dropped some.... Thanks for your patience.....

Ethan

Nice black paint "patina" pattern

IMG_2500_zpsfdbccced.jpg

Last edited:
Yea..Mr. Beckers involvement and response to post about problems is one of the reasons i bought a becker. Now that i have i feel a uncontrollable urge to get them all...but from what I've seen here on the forums thats not anything new.

Yep a Great Company and then you throw in the Man himself, Does not get much better than that
Go give that king a beating and show it whos boss

Thanks for following up here and letting us know how Kabar resolved this!!

great company!

don't forget to edit your original post to reflect this update :D

as well as praising kabar for all time in your sigline

Back