1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Decisions, decisions... What knives for Elk camp this year?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by SpyderPhreak, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Yep, with Red/Black G10 scales.:thumbup:

2. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    All of them

3. Hooker

Hooker

Jun 3, 2009
    Of your knives pictured there I would choose The B8, Hog Muk and the Hacktive Duty.
    I will be traveling to Colo. from AZ. to rifle hunt Elk in Oct. I plan on bringing my B8 for a big pack knife and will be wearing a competition finish/Black Canvas SOB for a belt knife. Waiting in camp will be the HogMuk, ScrapMuk, Boney Active Duty, and a Mountainmandu for chopping duty. ETA I should bring the B4 also, just in case I can try all these out on some meat. Intend to convert some of the hunting buddies.
    Good Luck, sounds like you will have a great adventure.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  4. Nframe357

Nframe357 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Thanks, really like that one!

5. kdstrick

kdstrick

May 27, 2007
    I process 10-12 deer per year between my kills and family members deer (whitetail).

Generally speaking I find non-coated and flat ground blades to be superior to the alternative. They just slice better and drag less.

With that in mind, I recommend the following:

B8 because it will make an excellent camp knife. There isn't a lot that knife won't do...
    Hog Muk because it will work very well as a dedicated skinning knife
    ELMAX because it meets the above criteria and it is as light as a feather
    Trailing point Swamp rat becuase it's an excellent all purpose blade
    And your choice of the smaller exmax blades for fine tasks.

As good as these will hold their edge you may need to sharpen them if you guys get covered up with game. Do you have a strop? As long as you don't let them get 'dull' a strop is a fantastic option to keep them keen.

Sounds like you guys are in for an awesome hunt! Don't forget to share pics!!!!

Good luck!

6. Flatsman007

Flatsman007

Apr 13, 2010

I think these two will be very hard to beat. The 460 is the best over all fish and game knife I have ever used.

7. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Good luck to you and Trav! :thumbup:

If we could drive all the way up to camp, I'd just take 'em all, along with a chopper or two (1311, NMFSH, NMFBM, or KDSH), and just not worry about it. :D Of course, if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. ;) Good luck with your riifle hunt here! :thumbup:

BTW, you have my sympathy about the insane out-of-state license fees here... :eek: (I lived in AZ for almost 5 years, and hunted here during that time. Ouch.)

I'll definitely be taking a strop, a small & flat (1.5" x 3.5" x 0.25") two-sided medium/fine ceramic stone (Spyderco), and also a two-sided EZ-Lap diamond stone to cover the bases. Just in case...

It's funny, looking at these knives again today, I had separated out those exact 4 blades you mentioned along with the HACKtive Duty, thinking they'd be a perfect set. And for similar reasons. I don't care for the coated blades while processing game either. But I'd still like to take the 411 too... *sigh* :rolleyes:

Yeah, the Elmax 460 IS pretty awesome! :D That's why it was already stashed in with my other hunting gear. That Trail Skinner shown with it is a one-of-a-kind Rat that I had the custom shop make for me, with the intention for it to be a good multi-purpose blade that could be used as a skinner too. :cool:

8. theToad

theToad Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Really enjoy seeing this YouTube video of a Kiwi processing a red tail, and it's all done with a little Mercator.
    https://youtu.be/Ubxppdxfx0w

That Trail Skinner will be perfect! Bring it along. [emoji1]

9. breavis5694

breavis5694

May 7, 2015
    Basic 8, hog muk, elmax hack.. Nothing skins like a muk, the basic is tglb size without the weight and some elmax is nice have around.

10. ARMYOf1

ARMYOf1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 27, 2008
    I would go with the smallest lightest weight blades. When I hunt I take a scrap yard 460 and 340. If I loose one of those I won't lose too much sleep. The Muk is the best skinner out of the bunch that you have IMO but I haven't used one to process an Elk yet. I have had my eye on one of those for a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet. What GMU are you hunting?

11. dork

dork

Mar 24, 2014
    I recommend not going on the hunt. Try just camping and enjoying nature. It truly is a thrill to simply live in harmony with other sentient beings.

12. theToad

theToad Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Not to derail the thread here, but you're derailing the thread.
    No one asked your opinion on hunting in general. You could at least have stated what knifes you would bring for camping, of the presented choices.

13. trukreltrog

trukreltrog Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Its called game management and needs to be done. Elk meat is very very good, and can live in harmony with the potatoes and gravy,,,

ETA: I like small skinny knives for game, so the rat. I use a culti though,,,

14. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    At this point, I think the Basic 8 is a given for my large blade.

I also think the ScrapMax 460 has secured its spot in the lineup. I'd rather not share which GMU, as this spot is not real well-known, and I'd like to keep it that way. NW part of the state is all I'll say.

LMAO!!! :rolleyes: I do that ALL the time anyway. And that wasn't the question either. .. :grumpy:

If you're one of those PETA types, may I suggest that you're on absolutely the wrong type of website. :thumbdn: We have a term for you and that kind of reply here; TROLL. :mad: Please refrain from replying to one of my threads again.

If mankind followed your advice, we would be long gone by now. Maybe YOU should try getting in touch with your primal side and go hunting. You might just enjoy it... :thumbup:

Troll is a troll. Look at the username. Can't expect anything else from one. :rolleyes:

PETA types would just have us become overrun with wildlife and pests, lol. Different mindset. I don't think they understand that we as humans are the apex species on this planet. :rolleyes:

Can't wait for some Elk tenderloin! :D

15. nemesis

nemesis Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 5, 2005
    It seems as if your decisions are made spyderphreak, good luck on your adventure and I will look forward to pics of the hunt and the camp! The worst part about coming into this thread is that I made an argument supporting the b8 which I have been on the fence about getting and this convinced me further to pull the trigger and introduced me to the scrapmax 460 which I didn't even know existed prior to coming in here..... Now I need that too

16. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Yeah, mostly made, but still deliberating on some. B8 is a great blade!!!

In regards to the Scrapmax 460, yeah, it has to be one of the best game/fish knives to come out of the Busse compound! HIGHLY recommended!!! :thumbup: Good luck with your search for one!

17. Codger_64

Codger_64 Moderator Moderator

Oct 8, 2004
    My opinion is that you should take two, whichever pair you think might work best for you. One small and one larger. You won't notice the extra weight and I think you will find that each size has it's forte' in the job of gutting, skinning and butchering large game. I've always used a duo like this. In my case it was a 165OT Woodsman and a 152OT Sharpfinger. The size and shape differences make the chores so much easier than trying to do it all with a one-knife-does-it-all blade. Plus it lessens the need to resharpen partway though the job. Good luck on your hunt!

ETA: I can't help you with which two to take because I have never used any of the ones pictured. And it looks as if, from the pictures, you haven't either.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  18. 338375

Nov 4, 2006
    Why was in necessary for you to give your thoughts on hunting in this thread ?... I understand that some people don't enjoy or agree with hunting and that is fine. We all have different beliefs, but what people like you don't understand is that those of us that do hunt contribute more to wildlife conservation and habitat improvement, than those that just simply tell others we shouldn't hunt...

There is a lot of revenue generated by the sale of tags and licenses every year that helps some, and many of us donate time and money to help insure that wildlife will still be around for the next generations to enjoy. How much have you done for wildlife ? My guess is nothing, because most critics of hunting do nothing other than tell others they shouldn't hunt...

True hunters appreciate and respect the animals we hunt. Not everyone that goes hunting is successful. Far from it. Some of my most successful seasons were years that I didn't actually get a deer or elk...
    I've been close enough to watch, listen and smell animals and still wasn't able to get a good shot. In my mind that was still a success... Most people that criticize hunting have never been that close to a deer or elk, and would probably freak out if they did. Most people that don't hunt will only be close enough to watch from a distance, or by using binoculars. That's not the same... So see, for many of us, hunting is about more than just killing an animal.

Again, I would never try and force anyone that doesn't hunt, or believe in it to change their views, and by the same token, I think comments like yours should be kept to yourself, or in a thread where people are asking for your thoughts and beliefs on hunting. Not in a thread where someone is simply asking for opinions on which knives to take on their trip...

So the next time you are out in the woods watching and enjoying the wildlife, IF you actually do, you can take a minute and thank those that have donated time, energy and $$$, because without it, there would be a lot less wildlife for you to watch and enjoy...

Sorry for the brief derailment of your thread. Now back to the subject at hand. Knives :D

19. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    SP, the Trail Skinner must go along!! :D Good luck on the hunt man, I can't wait to see pictures start rolling in this fall.

20. Garth Reckner

Garth Reckner Moderator Moderator

Dec 13, 2004
    Regardless of which blades you take, have a great time.

Garth