Decisions, decisions... What knives for Elk camp this year?

Bacon-wrapped tenderloin? Yes please!! :)

Hey SP, I know you saw the RT that I hacked myself, but they also built this custom shop one for me. Been using it for light tasks, but can't wait to put something down and get some real use on it.

Looks like a Rodent Solution and a Rodent Trail got together, had some fun, and had a baby as a result! :eek: :D Nice!!! :cool:

I'm certainly jealous SP. Looks like you have a bunch of fun ahead regardless of sleeping arrangements. Enjoy that free time. Certainly, no one out there has as much as they'd like.

And Dove hunting on Tuesday! :D :D :D Will be a busy but fun couple weeks.

I'd vote Basic 8, SWATmandu & Elmax Hacktive Duty….. definitely wouldn't want anything coated for hunting knife choices but that's just me.

I'm thinking about stripping the Mudd Mutt... ;)

Looking forward to seeing what got used on whatever you harvest!

Well, unfortunately, no animal harvested (yet). First trip was a bust. :( We tried several different areas too. Hiked between 6 and 10 miles a day, over all sorts of different terrain. :grumpy:

Our group saw 2-3 animals a day, but they were seen mostly in the middle of the day, too far off to shoot, and appeared to be moving rapidly through the area. Seems that the warm weather has most of the animals still way up high in their summer range, likely still at or above timberline (~11,000 ft). We saw temperatures above 70 degrees almost daily at elevations above 10,000 ft, which is pretty unusual for this time of the year. :eek: Still haven't had a freeze up there either, and the animals we did see weren't vocalizing at all. Anything we heard (poorly) calling was other hunters. :thumbdn:

We talked with about 15 other small groups of hunters over the course of the week, several from Eastern coast states (NY, NC, KY), and we heard the same story everywhere. Few fresh signs, very few animals seen (sounds like we had the best luck there), and even locals who've been hunting this area for 25-30 years can't recall a season with such poor luck. I feel bad for all the people that traveled 1,000 miles or more for a 2-week trip and went home empty-handed. :( That's hunting though.

The good news is that I have heard of some other parts of the state where it hasn't been quite so tough this year, and with almost 2 weeks still left in the season, there's still some hope. My brother can't hunt again until the last couple days of the season, so looks like I'll be doing solo day trips a bit closer to home if I want to try and get an animal between now and then. That's a tough way to do it, but it's about the only option I have left for archery season.

I wasn't planning to rifle hunt for Elk this year, but with the way archery season is shaping up, rifle season might be pretty good this year. I need to see if I can get a list B or C Elk license for one of the rifle seasons.

ETA: Of the choices presented in this thread, I wound up carrying the Muk, HACKtive duty, and Scrapmax 460. I wanted to have some SR-101 in the mix too, and decided to grab one of my Rat Wardens to take at the last minute. Very little extra weight for that one, and it's done its fair share of game processing (mostly small game and fish) for me in the past.

Sorry you had no luck SP, I'm sure it was still a fun trip. I'm from Virginia and if I came out west for a two week back country hunt, empty handed or packing a trophy out I think I would leave with a smile on my face. What made you skip on the bigger blade in the line up? How did the small blades only work out for camp chores? Sorry to bug you, I daydream of coming out west to hunt and camp for a couple weeks. Thanks for sharing

It was still an awesome trip!!! Always enjoy getting out in the woods! :)

I carried the B8 on the first day when we hiked back 5 miles from the truck. After that, the other areas we hunted we could only get about 3-4 miles back into the woods at most, and I didn't feel like I needed a larger blade when I could hike back to the truck in less than 2 hours. The Muk has a decent sized blade too.

You might have missed it, but I didn't camp on this trip, so no camp duty for any of the blades. We had to stay in a cabin so one of our group could work in the evenings. It was the only way he could go this year.

Back