Decisions, decisions... What knives for Elk camp this year?

My opinion is that you should take two, whichever pair you think might work best for you. One small and one larger. You won't notice the extra weight and I think you will find that each size has it's forte' in the job of gutting, skinning and butchering large game. I've always used a duo like this. In my case it was a 165OT Woodsman and a 152OT Sharpfinger. The size and shape differences make the chores so much easier than trying to do it all with a one-knife-does-it-all blade. Plus it lessens the need to resharpen partway though the job. Good luck on your hunt!

ETA: I can't help you with which two to take because I have never used any of the ones pictured. And it looks as if, from the pictures, you haven't either.

I think I'll be carrying 3 with me. Small/Medium/Large. Scrapmax 460, Muk, and Basic 8. Also, look closer at the pics. Most of those knives have been used, some quite a bit. One, however, is still virgin (guess which one?). I take care of my blades! ;)

Why was in necessary for you to give your thoughts on hunting in this thread ?... I understand that some people don't enjoy or agree with hunting and that is fine. We all have different beliefs, but what people like you don't understand is that those of us that do hunt contribute more to wildlife conservation and habitat improvement, than those that just simply tell others we shouldn't hunt...

There is a lot of revenue generated by the sale of tags and licenses every year that helps some, and many of us donate time and money to help insure that wildlife will still be around for the next generations to enjoy. How much have you done for wildlife ? My guess is nothing, because most critics of hunting do nothing other than tell others they shouldn't hunt...

True hunters appreciate and respect the animals we hunt. Not everyone that goes hunting is successful. Far from it. Some of my most successful seasons were years that I didn't actually get a deer or elk...
I've been close enough to watch, listen and smell animals and still wasn't able to get a good shot. In my mind that was still a success... Most people that criticize hunting have never been that close to a deer or elk, and would probably freak out if they did. Most people that don't hunt will only be close enough to watch from a distance, or by using binoculars. That's not the same... So see, for many of us, hunting is about more than just killing an animal.

Again, I would never try and force anyone that doesn't hunt, or believe in it to change their views, and by the same token, I think comments like yours should be kept to yourself, or in a thread where people are asking for your thoughts and beliefs on hunting. Not in a thread where someone is simply asking for opinions on which knives to take on their trip...

So the next time you are out in the woods watching and enjoying the wildlife, IF you actually do, you can take a minute and thank those that have donated time, energy and $$$, because without it, there would be a lot less wildlife for you to watch and enjoy...

Sorry for the brief derailment of your thread. Now back to the subject at hand. Knives :D

Mike, very well said! :thumbup: Thanks for writing what I didn't have the time or patience to say! Most of these PETA-types have never spent any real time communing with nature, and just don't "get" it. :rolleyes:

SP, the Trail Skinner must go along!! :D Good luck on the hunt man, I can't wait to see pictures start rolling in this fall.

It will be going along; In fact, many of the smaller ones will be going with me now and will at least be in the vehicle. Our plans have changed a bit, and unfortunately, we won't be camping up there now. :( I'm a bit disappointed, but a warm shower and bed isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world after a hard day of hunting. It's that or possibly not going at all, so oh well. Maybe if we end up not getting our animals and do another trip later in the month we'll camp then.

Regardless of which blades you take, have a great time.

Garth

Thanks, we will! :D Can't wait!!!

Yes Sir, enjoy the hunt, company and surrounding. Good Luck!!! Knives I would not hesitate w/ B-8, MUK, Small ELMAX Hack

Have fun be safe and be sure to rub that elk tenderloin in our faces upon return. That muk won't let you down, I'm kicking myself for selling mine

Last edited:
I would take the ScrapMax 460, the Muk and whatever large knife for camp duty that you are most comfortable using.

Enjoy your hunt, I am envious, you can also enjoy the scenery while hunting. A lot of people do not realize that the vast majority of hunters enjoy the great outdoors more than the actual Kill. It is because of the Hunter that the great herds of Elk are thriving. Through the purchase of Hunting Licenses, Game Management authorities have been able to manage all wildlife. I can see no better way to enjoy the great outdoors, while providing an excellent source of food for one's family, Good Luck and enjoy!!!

Enjoy the hunt. I have always wanted to go after an Elk.

Have fun be safe and be sure to rub that elk tenderloin in our faces upon return. That muk won't let you down, I'm kicking myself for selling mine

Thank guys, I will! :D I kicked myself for not buying a Muk at the original offer, but I got a good deal on one here on the X awhile back. :cool:

Enjoy your hunt, I am envious, you can also enjoy the scenery while hunting. A lot of people do not realize that the vast majority of hunters enjoy the great outdoors more than the actual Kill. It is because of the Hunter that the great herds of Elk are thriving. Through the purchase of Hunting Licenses, Game Management authorities have been able to manage all wildlife. I can see no better way to enjoy the great outdoors, while providing an excellent source of food for one's family, Good Luck and enjoy!!!

Excellent post!!! :thumbup: What are my top 3 hobbies? Fishing, hunting, and camping. :D

I would take something in Elmax and sr101, infi won't hold a good edge on elk hide, I know from experience. And that's a lot of knives to be taking. On my hunt this year, I'm taking a custom in z-wear, by hunter Martin, and probably something from the swamp as back up. For camp chores I'm using my active shooter from rmj. But I'm packing in on horses, and am limited with weight. Good luck!

I would take something in Elmax and sr101, infi won't hold a good edge on elk hide, I know from experience. And that's a lot of knives to be taking. On my hunt this year, I'm taking a custom in z-wear, by hunter Martin, and probably something from the swamp as back up. For camp chores I'm using my active shooter from rmj. But I'm packing in on horses, and am limited with weight. Good luck!

Look at my post a few above. Definitely not taking ALL of them. :p Some things have recently changed, so I'll likely take a few with me in/on my pack, and have others playing back-up in the car.

Mike, very well said! :thumbup: Thanks for writing what I didn't have the time or patience to say! Most of these PETA-types have never spent any real time communing with nature, and just don't "get" it. :rolleyes:

It will be going along; In fact, many of the smaller ones will be going with me now and will at least be in the vehicle. Our plans have changed a bit, and unfortunately, we won't be camping up there now. :( I'm a bit disappointed, but a warm shower and bed isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world after a hard day of hunting. It's that or possibly not going at all, so oh well. Maybe if we end up not getting our animals and do another trip later in the month we'll camp then.

That's a bummer you don't get to camp. But, as you said, it's better than not going at all. You are right, there isn't anything wrong with a shower and a good bed :D
up until about 5 years ago, I was still camping in a tent. As I got closer to 50 years old, the thought of sleeping in a travel trailer in a bed, with heat and A/C was sounding really nice...

B8, best option of the 8" range you have.

Muk OR Rodent Trail HACK would be interchangeable and excellent shape/length for skinning.

Elmax, HACKtive Duty or Game Warden HACK, whichever fits the length of your thumb best for detail work, though either would probably suffice if you left the muk/rt behind. This is the free offset in weight to carrying the TG by itself. ;)

B8, best option of the 8" range you have.

Muk OR Rodent Trail HACK would be interchangeable and excellent shape/length for skinning.

Elmax, HACKtive Duty or Game Warden HACK, whichever fits the length of your thumb best for detail work, though either would probably suffice if you left the muk/rt behind. This is the free offset in weight to carrying the TG by itself. ;)

Good point, and one of the reasons even great blades don't work for everybody. :thumbup:

The HACKtive duty definity fits my hand better, but the HACK Warden is just SO small and weighs so little, it would excel at detail work.

I might just wind up with 4 knives; B8, Muk, Trail Skinner, and an Elmax HACK.

Spyderphreak you gave me the craving for venison so I had to hit the freezer for dinner tonight and play with my newest busse.... Much to my dismay it was my last tenderloin. Hunting season can't get here fast enough

Spyderphreak you gave me the craving for venison so I had to hit the freezer for dinner tonight and play with my newest busse.... Much to my dismay it was my last tenderloin. Hunting season can't get here fast enough

YUM!!! When is dinner? ;)

I didn't get to go big game hunting last year, so my freezer has been empty for awhile. Can't wait for the tenderloins and backstraps! :D

Those Elmax blades can definitely do some work when it comes to processing. I would say if you would with ANY of the blades you have, you would be set to go. Sounds like you have a nice trip planned! :thumbup:

Bacon-wrapped tenderloin? Yes please!! :)

Hey SP, I know you saw the RT that I hacked myself, but they also built this custom shop one for me. Been using it for light tasks, but can't wait to put something down and get some real use on it.

I'm certainly jealous SP. Looks like you have a bunch of fun ahead regardless of sleeping arrangements. Enjoy that free time. Certainly, no one out there has as much as they'd like.

Back