Deer Hunting - essential knives

st8yd, that looks like your deer was visiting a feeder. A good layer of fat on him. DM

Great thread Old Hunter. Pardon the other two knives in this photo, but notice which one is on top. My Dad’s 1967-72 gen 110. It has been from Georgia to Alberta, Idaho, Colorado and everywhere in between. I rarely go in the woods without it.
m7TGimq.jpg

D DDDWho - I remember looking at them at Walmart and I remember the discussion here when the Mesa was for sale. For me (and maybe some others as well) its a pretty big knife for a deer hunters knife, combined with the fact that they weren’t available very long - probably all contributes to not seeing many of them in the hunting field.

longbow1968 longbow1968 - nice selection of knives, like your bow, they should get the job done. OH

Love seeing all these knives folks use for hunting,I had a small113 ag I tested it out one fall on 4 whitetails my friends had got,very impressed with such a small knife,to small for my sausage fingers and baseball it's tho,but it skinned,de boned and quartedc4 deer,basically all chores done withh the 113 except feild dressing them,and the edge was still sharp enough that I could do another before a good restore on the factory edge was needed.

Agreed the 113 is a great little knife. Decided to give it a try a few years back. I field dressed many deer with that little thing.
I wasn't sure it could rip open a rib cage but it does it.
Standard 420 HC and it held up very well. I was surprised at the edge retention.
I almost prefer the smaller knife over a big one..... it's easier to keep track of where the tip of the blade is at.

Back