DEK1

Lorien Lorien can you comment on the DEK1 being used as a bushcraft knife? It is strictly designed for defense?

this knife, like the other CPK knife patterns I've developed, is designed for aggressive cutting. Force is rewarded with leverage, resulting in meaningful cuts. Pushing the edge into wood for notching will be easy on the wrist, and the thinner stock will make for a blade that slices things. The point lines up with the heel of the handle and allows for accurate placement, and for a lot of force when pushing the tip into things. In a reverse grip, you'll have a lot of the control over the point for digging into whatever you want to dig it into, and drilling holes or divots or whatever. The edge drops a little and will facilitate food prep. It'll peel an apple pretty well

unless it's a 'fantasy' piece, I never design knives primarily to be weapons. They always have to function well for their size and for a number of design parameters that are based on pragmatic considerations that constitute the bulk of imaginable uses. I understand that knives can also be used as defensive tools, though, and the challenge for me with DEK1 was to take principles I've learned to appreciate about how and why knives work the way they do, and meld elements I don't usually design around which concern how the knife will impact another living being when used in self defense. I think with the DEK1 I've found a nice compromise between a knife that will serve well as a knife, and a knife that can be relied on to efficiently inflict severe damage in close quarters. It will balance well for throwing, of course

DEK1 will be a slim, lightweight, and unobtrusive knife with a svelte handle designed for traction but not at the expense of comfort. The idea is that you'll be able to carry this knife easily and have it disappear until you want or need to use it. Development of the sheath is going to be almost as important as the knife itself. I've given a lot of thought as to how to approach that aspect, and I'm looking forward to putting some of my ideas to the test

speaking of tests, I'm looking forward to testing DEK1. Two words; Lynn Thompson...

Is the acronym / name DEK1 etched in stone being that this is your baby, or is Nathan mulling over other possible replacement names? What's in a name does not really make any difference to me or my plans to eventually end up with at last a couple of these, but I'm just being nosey curious :)

why do you ask?

Because if I understand it correctly, DEK1 stands for Defensive Everyday Knife (iteration 1) but your post number 261 emphasized greatly on its other utilitarian aspects and purposes.

Because if I understand it correctly, DEK1 stands for Defensive Everyday Knife (iteration 1) but your post number 261 emphasized greatly on its other utilitarian aspects and purposes.

hence the 'E' :)

this knife, like the other CPK knife patterns I've developed, is designed for aggressive cutting. Force is rewarded with leverage, resulting in meaningful cuts. Pushing the edge into wood for notching will be easy on the wrist, and the thinner stock will make for a blade that slices things. The point lines up with the heel of the handle and allows for accurate placement, and for a lot of force when pushing the tip into things. In a reverse grip, you'll have a lot of the control over the point for digging into whatever you want to dig it into, and drilling holes or divots or whatever. The edge drops a little and will facilitate food prep. It'll peel an apple pretty well

unless it's a 'fantasy' piece, I never design knives primarily to be weapons. They always have to function well for their size and for a number of design parameters that are based on pragmatic considerations that constitute the bulk of imaginable uses. I understand that knives can also be used as defensive tools, though, and the challenge for me with DEK1 was to take principles I've learned to appreciate about how and why knives work the way they do, and meld elements I don't usually design around which concern how the knife will impact another living being when used in self defense. I think with the DEK1 I've found a nice compromise between a knife that will serve well as a knife, and a knife that can be relied on to efficiently inflict severe damage in close quarters. It will balance well for throwing, of course

DEK1 will be a slim, lightweight, and unobtrusive knife with a svelte handle designed for traction but not at the expense of comfort. The idea is that you'll be able to carry this knife easily and have it disappear until you want or need to use it. Development of the sheath is going to be almost as important as the knife itself. I've given a lot of thought as to how to approach that aspect, and I'm looking forward to putting some of my ideas to the test

speaking of tests, I'm looking forward to testing DEK1. Two words; Lynn Thompson...

Excellent write up! Thank you for taking the time to put some of the details of your design down for us to glean. I love reading posts that help us understand the thought and care that go into the development of these blades.

I really like the concept of a knife that fits the most daily utility into the most compact package, which can be carried and concealed easily, and which could be effective in a defensive role if needed. That was exactly the concept I had in mind when I got Chris Berry to make me the knife below. It was inspired by the Spyderco/Perrin Street Bowie, but was given a more versatile blade (to my mind at least) - a 5" convex-ground drop point in 4V. I'm keen to get hold of a DEK1 eventually, and compare them.

15495471676_4e4410334f_b.jpg

Because we don't want to pay money to get the same old blades
Watch him he'll take CPK to a higher place
'Cause I know, how do I know?
And I know because of DEK-ONE
Yeah, and I know, and I know because
And I know
And I know because of DEK-one

Sounds awesome; makes me think maybe DEK stands for Do Everything Knife.

my buddy, @Salem Straub, is heat treating DEK1 for me. It's important to get this part right, since the knife needs to be tested and substandard heat treatment will limit testing

note to self; use air quenching steel if you want to have the knife near net dimensions before heat treating. Luckily, Salem knows his stuff and was able to keep distortion to a minimum

ySG5DwY.jpg

my buddy, @Salem Straub, is heat treating DEK1 for me. It's important to get this part right, since the knife needs to be tested and substandard heat treatment will limit testing

note to self; use air quenching steel if you want to have the knife near net dimensions before heat treating. Luckily, Salem knows his stuff and was able to keep distortion to a minimum

ySG5DwY.jpg
Now we’re getting somewhere!!!!!!
Very nice!!!

Going to have to consider going in on this one. Been looking for a solid mid length camp knife to replace the esee 6, and I still am limited to Nathan's D2, gotta see what all the fuss about his D3v is now!

Back