DEK1

I originally wanted to purchase two FK2’s. I have an FK1 (OG FK) and I have an FK2. I love them both but the ergos on the FK2 are so spot on, that it is my “go to” of the two field knives.
I got my money together for a second/back up FK2 but decided I better wait and get a look at the DEK1 before pulling the trigger.
DEK1 is looking great!!!
I’m going to have to try one!

I originally wanted to purchase two FK2’s. I have an FK1 (OG FK) and I have an FK2. I love them both but the ergos on the FK2 are so spot on, that it is my “go to” of the two field knives.
I got my money together for a second/back up FK2 but decided I better wait and get a look at the DEK1 before pulling the trigger.
DEK1 is looking great!!!
I’m going to have to try one!

You my friend, are THE SANEST (most sane, the grammar police?) permanent member on this subforum. You have your budget figured out and go for what absolutely meets your needs. Really one of the coolest guys on here, like top 5.

P.S. Nathan is at # 6 :D :p

Sanity is overrated.
I gotta disagree with you on this one. I've realized that sanity (good mental health) is probably even more important than good physical health.

I've realized that "crazy" isn't fun and zany. It's horrible. And some people dealing with mental health issues have a real problem. If you've never seen real crazy before, it's ugly.

My reference to sanity by using the words “sane” was more tounge-in-cheek referring to having self-control, lack of impulse driven traits and knee-jerk reactions toward gobbling up every shiny new CPK which remains avail and unsold for more than 15 minutes :D

sanity (good mental health)

We may have a different starting point. I don’t mean to say that straight up crazy is good, more like a Cheshire Cat where “we’re all a little mad here.”

I’m sure Organic556 Organic556 can relate in being told that “sane” people don’t willingly jump out of airplanes... with a non steerable parachute... and 70lbs of gear, weapons, and ammo.

We may have a different starting point. I don’t mean to say that straight up crazy is good, more like a Cheshire Cat where “we’re all a little mad here.”

I’m sure Organic556 Organic556 can relate in being told that “sane” people don’t willingly jump out of airplanes... with a non steerable parachute... and 70lbs of gear, weapons, and ammo.

sorry, my random thought didn't come out right. I've been thinking about how we view "crazy" as "fun", but having coming across some real crazy last year I've developed a different view about it. I didn't mean to come across as snippety or trying to "correct" anybody, it was more of a conversation that didn't come out right.

sorry, my random thought didn't come out right. I've been thinking about how we view "crazy" as "fun", but having coming across some real crazy last year I've developed a different view about it. I didn't mean to come across as snippety or trying to "correct" anybody, it was more of a conversation that didn't come out right.
doesn't diminish the importance of your point at all, imo

I gotta disagree with you on this one. I've realized that sanity (good mental health) is probably even more important than good physical health.

I've realized that "crazy" isn't fun and zany. It's horrible. And some people dealing with mental health issues have a real problem. If you've never seen real crazy before, it's ugly.
People can’t understand until they’ve seen it. Not only ugly but also profoundly sad.

How will this fit women’s hands or smaller hands? How does it compare to the FK2?

It's a little smaller than the FK2. Jo has medium sized women's hands and it's working fine for her. My hands are men's large and it's dialed in for me. Mark's hands are extra large and it's working for him. The original design was very specific for Lorien's hands but we've tweaked it a little for better functionality across a moderate range of hands. In my opinion the final design is very good for a reasonable range of hands.

It's a little smaller than the FK2. Jo has medium sized women's hands and it's working fine for her. My hands are men's large and it's dialed in for me. Mark's hands are extra large and it's working for him. The original design was very specific for Lorien's hands but we've tweaked it a little for better functionality across a moderate range of hands. In my opinion the final design is very good for a reasonable range of hands.

Words which made me shudder! Those OGs who are in-the-know will know :D

View attachment 1266389

We have about settled on geometry that looks like this. It fits hands medium to large, accommodates the various grips that we want, and works well as both a weapon and a cutting tool for mid size everyday carry

First of all - the DEK1 looks amazing. I really look forward to getting it.
However the post quoted above got me a little worried as my hands are on the smallish side. I know I'm not alone with this "problem". Maybe a special set of handle slabs for people with smaller hands would be a good option?

EDIT - sorry, I didn't notice this issue was addressed above.

Last edited:
First of all - the DEK1 looks amazing. I really look forward to getting it.
However the post quoted above got me a little worried as my hands are on the smallish side. I know I'm not alone with this "problem". Maybe a special set of handle slabs for people with smaller hands would be a good option?

EDIT - sorry, I didn't notice this issue was addressed above.

I don’t think they have ever made alternate handle sizes. I really haven’t seen any production/semi-production knives come with with different sizes like t-shirts. It looks like CPK already does such an intensive study on ergonomics where one size fits all.

With that said, I have no idea what kind of new technology they could have these days. If a small were possible, I’d opt for one!

Also, I’ve seen some pretty nifty custom fan-made handles somewhere around here before, but I’d prefer to keep it OEM since I plan to use the crap out of it!

Back