DEK1

funnypicture-heavy-breathing-cat.jpg

Given the idea behind the DEK series per Lorien's post, I think it would be great to see some experimentation in the DEK series with some high nitrogen steels.

I have a feeling these are gonna be great IWB carry and having a nitrogen steel that can get as corrosion proof as possible while maintaining a strong stable edge would be amazing.

Maybe Nathan can work his voodoo magic (lol, or just good understanding of metallurgy/heat treating) and bring out the best in a steel like Vanax Superclean.

Given the idea behind the DEK series per Lorien's post, I think it would be great to see some experimentation in the DEK series with some high nitrogen steels.

I have a feeling these are gonna be great IWB carry and having a nitrogen steel that can get as corrosion proof as possible while maintaining a strong stable edge would be amazing.

Maybe Nathan can work his voodoo magic (lol, or just good understanding of metallurgy/heat treating) and bring out the best in a steel like Vanax Superclean.
I think he mentioned producing this in AEBL too, which is corrosion resistant. I’ve been beating the shit out of one of my D3V FK2s (while keeping the other pristine) in harsh environments and it has never showed corrosion or pitting.

I think he mentioned producing this in AEBL too, which is corrosion resistant. I’ve been beating the shit out of one of my D3V FK2s (while keeping the other pristine) in harsh environments and it has never showed corrosion or pitting.

I do remember AEB-L was on the table as a possible option.

While AEB-L would be an excellent option and can be hardened up to 62 with pretty good toughness Vanax should be considerably better in wear resistance (edge geometry equal) and corrosion resistance with the higher carbide content and nitrogen base.

Additionally, I feel ductility is a property that's often overlooked in trying to get that thin as possible edge to maximize edge retention. According to the spec sheet, Vanax has higher ductility than even steel such as Elmax at similar hardness (59 in the Uddeholm Vanax Spec sheet).

Either way, whatever steel the DEK series will be made in, bring it! Can't wait to see the variations (crossing fingers for a wharnie).

Back