DEK1

Did you order the penetrator tip?
No, I asked if they would do the "sharpened tip", not sure if that's what its called, but Jo knew what I was talking about
I cant say what all its been put on but I know I've seen it on the UF before. I noticed Gus asked if they would do it, so I tossed it out there as well.
Props to Gusbuster Gusbuster
BIGDORK BIGDORK niiiice, having a tip that is sharpened on both sides would give me twice as many options to cut myself
Looks mean af
Yea man, it keeps giving me that look too!
I cannot return it to its sheath until it tastes blood

No, I asked if they would do the "sharpened tip", not sure if that's what its called, but Jo knew what I was talking about
I cant say what all its been put on but I know I've seen it on the UF before. I noticed Gus asked if they would do it, so I tossed it out there as well.

:thumbsup:Awesome Jim! That’s one Bad Motherfucker! Can’t wait to see my sharpened tip.

:thumbsup:Awesome Jim! That’s one Bad Motherfucker! Can’t wait to see my sharpened tip.
Yeah, ordered mine that way as well.

Yeah, ordered mine that way as well.

Thats cool. If I had known I might've done the same!
I guessed the penetrator tip was a little more than what it was.

Last edited:
Thats cool. If I had known I might've done the same!
I guessed the penetrator tip was a little more than what it was.
Penetrator tip seems like a solution to a non-existent problem, but it sure sounds cool.
Learned a few things in my short time on this sub. Unfortunately, at the time, ordering at least one set of wood scales was not one of themo_O:oops:
Rookie

I got my DEK1 in last week and due to my old phone deciding to give up the ghost, I had to postpone my thoughts and such. Regardless, I've been able to carry it around with me and get a good feel for it in the meantime.

This has been an interesting experience for me. When I first opened the box and withdrew the knife, there were no halos or sung choruses - in fact, I was almost disappointed. (queue record scratching)

Cool yer jets - I said, "Almost".

Up until the point where I beheld the DEK1 in my hands, my only practical experience with CPK has been with the knives that I own from them - the HDFK and FK2. I read Nathan's words, I listened to Lorien's design philosophy, I should have known what to expect. However, the DEK1 is not the HDFK or the FK2 (I should know this, based on my prior statement) - it's a completely different knife and it threw me for a rather brain-boggling loop. Where the HDFK and the FK2 feel like an extension of my arm and hand, regardless of grip, the DEK1 was overall kind of "meh" at first. As I sat there, pondering my feelings about it, I pulled myself out of it all and began to think objectively.

Nathan's words began to come back to me - as did Lorien's. The first thing that I thought was, "This knife feels too small" - which I thought strange as I own smaller knives that do not feel like this. I have XL hands, maybe even XXL depending on who is making the glove, so my immediate thoughts were that perhaps I was bordering on being one of those "outliers". It still seemed strange to me so I removed the TekLock and slipped it into my pocket, I was resolved to carry it awhile and make it my go-to cutting tool and/or fidget device (I'm a software engineer, I fidget with knives a lot when I am staring blankly at lines of code - keeps me from drooling too much).

As the days kind of went by, the knife and I became one with each other, my hands started locking into the various positions and grips - it was starting to feel "right". I've used it to prep meat and veggies, I've used it to open packages, break down boxes, and split my breakfast bagels. Not exactly "wet" work befitting a Delta Seal Beret Ranger Operator but the tasks I underwent employed a variety of grips and the design genius began to shine through.

I have immense respect for Lorien as a designer and, of course, Nathan & crew are just the best. This knife didn't sing to me right off the cuff, all it needed was a wee bit of coaxing and now it won't shut the hell up. It's a fantastic blade, I am very proud to own it and am glad that I stuck with it and gave it the attention it deserves.

Well done, Nathan & Crew - Well done, Lorien. Thanks for yet another awesome blade.

Please forgive the quality of my picture - I just got a new phone and am still familiarizing myself with the camera hardware and the processing software. It takes time. I hope to have many more pictures in the not so distant future.

0Gry9bi.jpg

I got my DEK1 in last week and due to my old phone deciding to give up the ghost, I had to postpone my thoughts and such. Regardless, I've been able to carry it around with me and get a good feel for it in the meantime.

This has been an interesting experience for me. When I first opened the box and withdrew the knife, there were no halos or sung choruses - in fact, I was almost disappointed. (queue record scratching)

Cool yer jets - I said, "Almost".

Up until the point where I beheld the DEK1 in my hands, my only practical experience with CPK has been with the knives that I own from them - the HDFK and FK2. I read Nathan's words, I listened to Lorien's design philosophy, I should have known what to expect. However, the DEK1 is not the HDFK or the FK2 (I should know this, based on my prior statement) - it's a completely different knife and it threw me for a rather brain-boggling loop. Where the HDFK and the FK2 feel like an extension of my arm and hand, regardless of grip, the DEK1 was overall kind of "meh" at first. As I sat there, pondering my feelings about it, I pulled myself out of it all and began to think objectively.

Nathan's words began to come back to me - as did Lorien's. The first thing that I thought was, "This knife feels too small" - which I thought strange as I own smaller knives that do not feel like this. I have XL hands, maybe even XXL depending on who is making the glove, so my immediate thoughts were that perhaps I was bordering on being one of those "outliers". It still seemed strange to me so I removed the TekLock and slipped it into my pocket, I was resolved to carry it awhile and make it my go-to cutting tool and/or fidget device (I'm a software engineer, I fidget with knives a lot when I am staring blankly at lines of code - keeps me from drooling too much).

As the days kind of went by, the knife and I became one with each other, my hands started locking into the various positions and grips - it was starting to feel "right". I've used it to prep meat and veggies, I've used it to open packages, break down boxes, and split my breakfast bagels. Not exactly "wet" work befitting a Delta Seal Beret Ranger Operator but the tasks I underwent employed a variety of grips and the design genius began to shine through.

I have immense respect for Lorien as a designer and, of course, Nathan & crew are just the best. This knife didn't sing to me right off the cuff, all it needed was a wee bit of coaxing and now it won't shut the hell up. It's a fantastic blade, I am very proud to own it and am glad that I stuck with it and gave it the attention it deserves.

Well done, Nathan & Crew - Well done, Lorien. Thanks for yet another awesome blade.

Please forgive the quality of my picture - I just got a new phone and am still familiarizing myself with the camera hardware and the processing software. It takes time. I hope to have many more pictures in the not so distant future.

0Gry9bi.jpg
great story! DEK1 is a subtle knife. DEK2 is going to be a different story...

You are correct in stating that the size of one's hands will hold mold for first impressions till the DEK1 is put to use. Unlike your XXL sized mitts, I have M+ / L- hand size (again depending on who makes my gloves) so I was immediately taken as I was smitten by it. I am on record for going on and on about the OGFK because its slimmer handles fit me better although the FK2 may offer the lesser of hot spots between the two. I only have one DEK1 in my possession till my preorders arrive and since I have this sick proclivity for owning multiple safe queens, I have some trepidations about carrying my only DEK1 but once I get the others from my preorder, the DEK1 will probably be my perfect size EDC knife on my evening and off the beaten path hikes. Strangely, I find the CPK-EDC a bit too small for my actual EDC'ing so that pattern goes mostly in the collection column.

I like the feel and the egos of the DEK1 so much so that I have even purged more of my waning folder "collection". Aside from the feel of the DEK1, I will absolutely trust my life with it in the absence of anything that goes bang. I think that the DEK1 is a brilliant pattern and TBT, I think that from a purely aesthetic view I may prefer the unswedged-unsharpened tip models better although I have also preordered those versions. To me, the original stock flows better but as always, YMMV.

Back