Demko AD20.5 in CPM-3V

greater

Platinum Member
The AD20.5 in now available in CPM-3V. Has anyone tried one of these yet ? It's about $40.00 more and I think it's a reasonable price.

I notice that Demko is making making G10 (orange, black, jade,) white grivory, and carbon fiber (some dark I don't know what color) scales for the AD20.5. There are also both titanium and stainless steel standoffs (sets of three) being sold to replace the grivory back spacer converting the knife to an open frame design like the larger AD20.
A nice touch is 3 packs of replacement springs are also being sold. Apparently all of these items are made by Demko's outfit and being sold at Knifecenter.

What is missing ? Well although I brought a 3 pack of ti spacers just to see how they would look and feel I like the durable, lightweight closed design of the grivory plastic back spacer and probably will prefer it. All these nice scale options do not include a back spacer of matching color, a peeve I have with Karbadize and now also Demko scales.

I do not care if these back spacers are made of grivory or not but some of these scales really don't match up with any of the colors of the regular grivory back spacers provided on most of production runs of the AD20.5. The ones that do will only match if you happen to have brought a regular production run that happens to have the same color grivery grips and spacer.

It is possible that making back spacers with a variety of new colors to match the G10 or other offerings might increase production costs but white grivory scale sets are being sold for $10.00.

Being that these white grivory scales are already in production why not also have a bunch of extra white grivory back spacers made for sale alone for those of us who like the looks and protective advantages of the strong closed, lightweight solid grivory back spacer design. I do not want unused white grivory scales without spacers lying around, it's a waste so I am reluctant to buy the whole scale set. Why can't the seller order a bunch of extra white grivory back spacers and sell them for a low price perhaps with hints on how to dye them.

White grivory can be easily dyed almost any color one wishes in addition to being a match with complementing colors or personal tastes. For the DIY person it's relieves the burden of of hunting for the right color spacer which may not be readily available or inexpensive if custom made out of a high end material for a low demand market (custom color.)

For those who can resist the urge to upgrade their scales for asthetics and feel in hand, I have to say aside from the plastic look and feel those AD20.5 stock grivory scales are top notch in terms of quality, durability, ergonomics, and grip pattern. The grivory grips are just very well designed and one cannot go wrong with them. That being said I obviously like the looks and feel of G10 and Micarta better.

Last edited:
I have been tempted to get a set of the RGT micarta scales but the grivory really doesn't bother me on this knife. It feels solid, feels good in hand and just makes it feel like a work knife.

Pictures are always needed!

The RGT scales are nice and widen the grip just a little bit (make the three rear spacers no longer visibile). Very happy with mine.

I like it. Not sure why exactly, in theory a 3" blade should be too short for me .... go figure.

i-8NWSpXZ-X3.jpg

I took delivery of the Knife Center exclusive 3v and Ti version about 20 minutes ago. I already had a K110 (D2) version. I replaced the scales on that one with a set of Fat Carbon side cut cf from Karbadize, which I love.

First impressions of the 3v version:

* feels solid in hand --really nice. Ti scales are smooth but not slippery;
* after quick strop on loaded denim, the factory edge is excellent (125 BESS);
* factory edge is 17° on both sides. It's rare to get the same angle on both sides!;
* that said, there's a smile on each choil straight from the factory. Guess I won't have to worry about adding one. :)
* like all Demkos, it's thick behind the edge: .025" in the middle and north of .030" at either end;
* shark lock is MUCH nicer on the new one. I think the spring is a little weaker, which is great in my book. The old one was a bit of a finger destroyer if you fidget with it, and who can resist fidgeting with these things?

Too soon to make any judgments about the steel. I think I may get this one reground. Maybe a hollow at 0.015" bte.

3V on the top, D2 on the bottom:

AD20.5s.jpg

A welcome upgrade indeed, but honestly I'm happy enough with mine that I think I can resist pulling the trigger (for now at least ;)). My original plan when I went for the 20.5 in Shark's Foot was to hold out for a Magnacut 20 at some point and pick it up in clip point, and I'm in no real rush. That being said all these options leave me feeling compelled to come up with a perceived need as an excuse to grab another one of these. The grivory is fine with me as well, but the solid Ti version sure is cool, and I'm even tempted to grab some jade G10 for mine just for the added translucence and do the same dye job I did on my grivory. Also, at $15 it's gonna be hard to resist picking up some Ti standoffs to play around with anodizing and try out. All in all, whether or not I eventually end up getting any of them, I'm glad to see the added options being made available.

5XpMgSp.jpg

The RGT scales are nice and widen the grip just a little bit (make the three rear spacers no longer visibile). Very happy with mine.
I'm sure I'll pick some up eventually! I'm reducing my collection and I'll use some of the money to get some.

RGT is making Tero Tuf AD20.5 scales in a variety of solid colors. They do include matching back spacers.

Those scales look so compelling!

So I put together my soon to be here son's crib today and the amount of packaging is ridiculous! This knife really surprised me with how well it cut despite not being that thin behind the edge, but it cut really well. Also stropped it and it's slicing paper great again.

This was half the packaging!!

I removed the thumb studs on the thinner one with factory sized (thin) grips because 1. it is not needed and 2. they protrude over the sides. Surprisingly they do not seem to get in the way when I cut things.

With thicker RGT scales the thumb studs do not protrude over the sides so I don't bother removing them.

For those who just don't like thumb studs they are easy and consistent (my experience) to remove. You just have to find a way to grip the non-slotted thumb stud while unscrewing or both sides will just turn. I used vice grips. There is not much to grip on because it's slanted but if you can swing it unscrewing does not take too much torque. That is a good thing. Of course you do need the right sized screwdriver of appropriate width and thickness. The slot requires a thin preferably hollow ground (gunsmith type) screwdriver. That is if you want to preserve the thumb studs.

It might be easier if you don't care about destroying the thumbstuds but I never tried that.

I got blue Tero Tuf scales from RGT in the mail yesterday. They feel a little bit like grippy hard dry cardboard close to natural canvas Micarta also with a trace of G10 feel.They sound and vibrate like plastic when I tap them or scratch at them with my fingernail actually like Micarta. Unlike Micarta the color does not drastically change when wet or when hand oil gets on it. It darkens slightly with oil but it's color remains true. I find Micarta holds oil for a long time and feels oily when a small amount of oil gets on it not so with Tero Tuf. I find Tero Tuf feels lighter in weight than Micarta or G10.

It's not as hard as G10 or Micarta I can notice that but it is not soft either. I like it so much I ordered the lighter green set (more cheery than the darker colors.) The fit is spot on.

As far as I know Tero Tuf is only made in the US these days ????

Last edited:
Are these new? I was thinking of getting one of these instead of a Houge Deka or any of those kinds of knives. I really like it, I'm just trying to justify it really badly. Does anyone want to "sell" it to me? Not sell me the knife itself, but "sell" it for me as to why I should get it?

Are these new? I was thinking of getting one of these instead of a Houge Deka or any of those kinds of knives. I really like it, I'm just trying to justify it really badly. Does anyone want to "sell" it to me? Not sell me the knife itself, but "sell" it for me as to why I should get it?
I usually do not care for "backlock" type knives, like the Spyderco delica and Cold Steel Tri-Ad lock, mostly because they "snap" shut. Nearly lost 1/3 of my middle finger to that. This one is better, smooth action, lock is leaps and bounds easier than a back lock.

It reminds me of a Spyderco ergonomically, which is good. Only cons to me are the clip (which is getting replaced with a deep carry) and the blade length could be a hair longer (there is space between the tip and handle).

This is one of the only knives with thumbstuds I actually like. Normally I abhor them. I still plan to remove them tomorrow to see how it works with the thumbhole.

For the time being, it's replacing my yojimbo 2, which my mother absconded with, never to be seen again.

I think it's cool that this knife has quickly gained a large aftermarket support. However, I actually like the factory "plasticky" scales which is rare. I own one knife with G-10 and one with FRN. Only because they can't be replaced.

I waited on buying this knife until a better steel became available, and I definitely think it's a good deal with CPM-3V.

Back