Demko AD20.5 in CPM-3V

Are these new? I was thinking of getting one of these instead of a Houge Deka or any of those kinds of knives. I really like it, I'm just trying to justify it really badly. Does anyone want to "sell" it to me? Not sell me the knife itself, but "sell" it for me as to why I should get it?
I like it as much as my Para 3 which is saying something. The action is great, lockup is amazing and despite having a thicker grind it cuts very well. If you can afford it I think you should give it a try. Also the grivory scales and stock clip really aren't that bad and the knife still feels very solid.

I like it as much as my Para 3 which is saying something. The action is great, lockup is amazing and despite having a thicker grind it cuts very well. If you can afford it I think you should give it a try. Also the grivory scales and stock clip really aren't that bad and the knife still feels very solid.
Para 3, that is an interesting comparison. Thanks for the encouragement, I'm wanting it!

What kind of a time have you all had with sharpening 3V? Jeez, I assume a Demko (Cold Steel modern basically) in 3V would be a bombproof folder that I could just bash through everything, I want one of those, but I don't want a Medford or a Strider or anything. I have a Cold Steel GRIK which is a tough, ugly lil guy with a Tri-Ad, but doesn't have the 3V.

Para 3, that is an interesting comparison. Thanks for the encouragement, I'm wanting it!

What kind of a time have you all had with sharpening 3V? Jeez, I assume a Demko (Cold Steel modern basically) in 3V would be a bombproof folder that I could just bash through everything, I want one of those, but I don't want a Medford or a Strider or anything. I have a Cold Steel GRIK which is a tough, ugly lil guy with a Tri-Ad, but doesn't have the 3V.

It sharpened very well. Apparently the HT is towards the max for the steel. It powered though a ton of cardboard and stopped back up very easy. Also put the edge into my driveway and it was fine.

I didn't think I would, but I like the Ti barrel spacers. They are super lightweight and go well with the jade G10 scales. A look that has Demko written all over it.
I also gave the green and blue terotuf scales from RGT a spin. Terotuf does not drastically alter it's color when oil is applied actually it makes the color richer, better in my opinion with micarta I never know what color I'll get after it's oiled. The most cheery looking ones are the terotuf blue (the cheeriest) and the lighter green.

I have accumulated a variety of scales mostly RGT micarta and one Karbadize micarta as well. I find the micarta I have has a tendency with the exception of bone linen (RGT) to look more on the dark drabby side especially when oiled.

Last edited:
Waiting on Skiffs then I'll put it together, don't like the Grivory scales, had a Spyderco Chaparral and Manix in FRN and they felt fine to me, glad I ordered Micarta scales.

H6oVXM9.jpg

Waiting on Skiffs then I'll put it together, don't like the Grivory scales, had a Spyderco Chaparral and Manix in FRN and they felt fine to me, glad I ordered Micarta scales.

H6oVXM9.jpg
Is that the packaging the 3V models are coming in, just that plastic box? If so, the packaging on the D2 models were much nicer.

I am tempted to try one but the blade-to-handle ratio seems off and that bugs me. Same with the PM2, for example. Has anyone noticed this using or handling it in person?

I am tempted to try one but the blade-to-handle ratio seems off and that bugs me. Same with the PM2, for example. Has anyone noticed this using or handling it in person?
The ratio is very similar to the Para 3, especially with the shark foot blade.

Reactions: DMG
Yes for me it's nowhere near a deal breaker but it's worth noting.

I lean toward durability in a blade steel and 3V is most likely designed the way I would like a steel. Excels in toughness, holds a fantastic edge and is almost stainless ("semi-stainless".) Technically it's not stainless but it's not a rust magnet either like regular carbon steel. I am glade they chose this instead of some brittle chippy super steel that holds an edge forever at the price of snapping like a dry twig with the slightest attempt at flex whether accidentally or not.

I think the latest fad is to excessively prioritize edge retention with little to no recognition that a knife steel needs to also be adequately durable as well.

The case is just a case. Like you I feel it's just packaging too. Low on the list or priorities.

Is the 3V worth the extra $30 over the AUS10A?
Depends. If you are in a corrosive environment, it would probably not be worth it. Otherwise, IMO, yes.

The jade (natural) G10 dropped on a tile floor leaving a tiny white fatigue mark on the front top tip of one of the guards on the G10 handle. Both tero tuf were dropped. The green tero tuf showed nothing the blue had a white mark in the same place that is not easy to notice unless you are really looking hard for it. It seems they have a tendency to hit the top front guard when falling. The blades are intact although I did notice a couple of them flip open a little and close at impact.

They really were dropped by accident at different times on the bathroom floor. I have been playing with them a lot. You have to be careful because they flick open so easily and smoothly with the thumb, although strongly recommended, a firm grip is not at all required to open the blade, leading one to ultimately one day grip it too lightly (ridiculously) allowing it to fling out of the hand when trying to open it.

A couple of relatives who are not knife enthusiasts commented on how smoothly the AD20.5 opens.

No matter how easy and smoothly the blade can be deployed don't forget to grip it firmly as should be done on any knife. That is my experience.

I have some ti deep carry clips from our favorite clip maker but they are not my cup of tea. They protrude over the back of the handle, look a little funky, and I can feel them a little. Although not deep carry I think Demko got it right when he designed the pocket clip. I do however like anything light weight on a pocket knife and I am wondering if our favorite pocket clip maker offers or can make a standard AD20.5 pocket clip in titanium.

I prefer the feel of no pocket clips on a knife and NYC is not pocket clip friendly. That being said the pocket clip is a great invention and just has too many advantages to ignore far outweighing the downsides regardless I can still live without a pocket clip but I do like them despite the tiny cons although I can't use them in NYC. I often wonder if I should just remove the clip totally to prevent any temptations for creative white lies (police claiming to see knife clipped to the pocket when in fact it was buried deep inside the pocket and the clip not used.) Not meant as a blanket accusation but just a human possibility.

I think CPM 3V with Tero Tuf makes this a knife made with mostly American Made materials. What do you think? Now who makes a lightweight American made standard or close to standard AD20.5 pocket clip in titanium.

Last edited:
While swapping out the OEM parts I also installed skiff bearings, didn't think they'd make much of a difference with this knife but there is a noticeable difference especially when closing the blade, a quick pull and release of the lock and the blade rockets shut, no wrist action just gravity.

P9Fpu7o.jpg

R4370wZ.jpg

My 3v sharkfafoot comes tomorrow and I have RGT linen micarta on my AUS10A clip point, I like the thicker feel they have in hand, but I may leave the grivory on the new one. Zippifish, are those RGT canvas? Looks great 😎👍
I’ll take ‘em both to work on Tuesday and report back.

Back