Demko AD20.5 in CPM-3V

My 3v sharkfafoot comes tomorrow and I have RGT linen micarta on my AUS10A clip point, I like the thicker feel they have in hand, but I may leave the grivory on the new one. Zippifish, are those RGT canvas? Looks great 😎👍
I’ll take ‘em both to work on Tuesday and report back.
Yes in single black.

ebay_606.jpg
Finally had a full day of work with both the 3V sharksfoot & the AUS10A clip. This 3V is really well treated and ground, it's almost a different knife (also, I prefer the sharks foot blade shape for work, so I'm sure that's increasing my bias,) but the edge from the factory (3V) is VERY toothy (feels like a 300 grit edge!) and it's perfect. I like AUS10A, it's a great steel (with a Demko or CS heat treat anyway) so I'm not trashing it, but (this) 3v just bites and cuts better. I had to chop a bunch of vitamin pills (hard small pills similar to a Tylenol) by pressing the blade into the pills on a table and after 10 or so, the 3V was un-phased, but the AUS10A developed a few flat spots I could see & feel with my nail (this isn't necessarily the same for ALL AUS10 AD20.5's - just the one I have) this example of AUS10A is def a little softer than my Cold Steel AUS10A (4-max scout, Espada, voyagers, etc). The upside? this AUS10A is super easy to hone or strop back. So I'd say it really depends on your usage which is "better" for you. (I haven't sharpened the 3V yet). I also cut the same boxes up using both knives after a strop and the 3v held it's bite longer and seemed to be easier to push through, (this may be due to the lower grit finish tho, as much as the steel itself, hard to say) I've only had the 3v a few days so I can't really comment on corrosion but I'm a few miles form the ocean and I've cut food and various wet things in the garden and no corrosion issues yet, for what it's worth (I oil tool steels after use.)

When I picked up the AUS10 a while back, I immediately got these RGT Micarta scales (pictured) and they increase the thickness of the handle, it feels like a lot, but it's maybe by 50%? You'll notice the 3 forward pins closer to the blade aren't visible with the RGT scales on, they sit inside due to the thickness. But I ordered the extra white griv scales and made a custom candy cane 3v and I'm actually enjoying the griv scales - they're so thin, it's approaching Bugout thinness of carry, so I may keep them for now. Do we "need" 3v on a folder? Probably not, but it has brought me back to carrying this knife for work, I'm def switching the clip point for a sharksfoot. Also got the Skiff bearings installed and yeah - they're worth it. Hope this helps.

ebay_605.jpg

I am tempted to try one but the blade-to-handle ratio seems off and that bugs me. Same with the PM2, for example. Has anyone noticed this using or handling it in person?
I personally think the blade to handle ratio thing is a strange nitpick that people have. The design of this knife is great and you will have enough edge to handle all but some cooking tasks. It also feels great in my hands which I was nervous about. I would say if you like the design, materials and lock give it a try.

Is the 3V worth the extra $30 over the AUS10A?
As others said it depends on you. I love tool steels so for me it was.

While swapping out the OEM parts I also installed skiff bearings, didn't think they'd make much of a difference with this knife but there is a noticeable difference especially when closing the blade, a quick pull and release of the lock and the blade rockets shut, no wrist action just gravity.

P9Fpu7o.jpg

R4370wZ.jpg
That black micarta looks great! I actually enjoy the thinness of the grivory. How does the extra thickness of the micarta feel?

Also just want to say that the 3v does amazing at a high polish. The toothy nature of the steel means that even at 1 micron it will bite into what you are cutting.

I personally think the blade to handle ratio thing is a strange nitpick that people have. The design of this knife is great and you will have enough edge to handle all but some cooking tasks. It also feels great in my hands which I was nervous about. I would say if you like the design, materials and lock give it a try.

As others said it depends on you. I love tool steels so for me it was.

That black micarta looks great! I actually enjoy the thinness of the grivory. How does the extra thickness of the micarta feel?

Also just want to say that the 3v does amazing at a high polish. The toothy nature of the steel means that even at 1 micron it will bite into what you are cutting.
The blade to handle ratio is an aesthetic thing for me. And only on certain size knives. I am selling off a bunch of stuff that doesn’t get pocket time. Maybe I’ll try to trade for a 3V Demko. They are localish to me so that is a plus

How’s the feel of the G10? Is it textured like CS G10? Is it thicker than the grivory scales that come with it? Lookin‘ good. 😎👍

Not thicker than the grivory, the knives feel very sleek and clean. I like that there is no logo .... don’t know CS G10, feels similar to Spyderco’s G10, but the pattern is a little finer if that helps.

I’m thinking about snagging a DLC version but the photos I can find make the coating look more like thick paint than DLC, (like older cold steel or a Civivi style black coat,) does anyone have experience with using one much yet? The modern DLC coatings on Spyderco and Cold Steel, IMO, are the only decent ones that don’t start scratching off with your first use - if it’s that easily worn, I’ll probably stick to the stone washes.. curious to hear your experience!

I’m thinking about snagging a DLC version but the photos I can find make the coating look more like thick paint than DLC, (like older cold steel or a Civivi style black coat,) does anyone have experience with using one much yet? The modern DLC coatings on Spyderco and Cold Steel, IMO, are the only decent ones that don’t start scratching off with your first use - if it’s that easily worn, I’ll probably stick to the stone washes.. curious to hear your experience!
I woild really like to use the DLC and blacked out hardware with some Blade Scales or the Demko CF scales. I just wish they would black out the shark lock part, seems odd to be stonewashed.

I haven’t tried etching yet, been thinking about it in general (for a budget d2 blade I have) but I wonder if it would work in the shark lock? Anyone tried? Is parkerizing similar?
also curious is anyone has forced a patina on this 3V? Please post results!

Last edited:
Now that this has been out for a while, do you owners think the 3V is truly worth the extra money or effort on a knife like this? Got a G10 black in AUS10a which like XHP, 440C, and all is a fine steel but I am tempted to wait for my jade (so's I can make it trippy), return the black one and switch 3V blades by buying one at KC.

What has the 3V done for you?
Should I just stick to Cruwear and 3V in a Puukko?

Now that this has been out for a while, do you owners think the 3V is truly worth the extra money or effort on a knife like this? Got a G10 black in AUS10a which like XHP, 440C, and all is a fine steel but I am tempted to wait for my jade (so's I can make it trippy), return the black one and switch 3V blades by buying one at KC.

What has the 3V done for you?
Should I just stick to Cruwear and 3V in a Puukko?
I have the same question. Is the 3v in the Demko AD20.5 performing well?

Those with experience, please let us know.

Also, how are you all sharpening it? Angles and grit. Thank you!

Back