Design Merits and value of BK62

Crag the Brewer

I make Nice, boring knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'd like to discuss some of the features that went into This knife, and maybe the reasons why each of us bought it?

I'm maybe two days later receiving my order from Knifecenter, than some of the people here getting theirs. I'm seeing many Glowing reviews and comments, and that's great. It's going to get people to rush out and buy more of them....

But I'd like to be a little more honest Here.

I paid $140something including shipping and tax. This isn't a $140 knife. Knifecenter has MRSP of $182.27 Wow.... even at my lower cost, when I first opened my order, I kinda when Hmmmmm? :/

Upon first seeing, the size of the knife is Great. The general blade shape is Perfect, including the thickness......I know we are paying for the little details, but those details are what I have in question?
To (me) this looks like a Army surplus knife. Maybe a boys knife from a 1960's communist country somewhere? I like that sort of rugged appeal......

EVERY scout should have this knife!!! But Not at $140.
This is a $50-60 knife. So why does it cost so much? And why did I buy it then?

Why is the tang tapered? I'm wondering if there is a real purpose? I find it difficult to think it has to do with balance. I know the original one has it, but it added cost.

The top edge, near the tip is ground. This too, I know the original is ground convex.

The walnut scales didn't appeal to me like I felt they should of. Mine had chatter, small voids, and generally felt they seemed cheap, and low quality. I had to sand, and apply many coats of finish to them, and I plan on replacing the hardware.
I guarantee there will be a Huge demand for aftermarket scales, and leather sheaths for this knife.

*I understand we are paying to have something brought back from history. Or at least closest that we can get.
*I understand that we are paying for a unique design.
*I understand that we are paying more for a early release, KA-BAR didn't have to.
*I understand that we are paying for KA-BAR's warranty and great customer service
*I understand we are paying for the continued belief that Mr. Becker's work adds value.

I get all that, and I really want this to be a great knife!
To me, I'm accepting of this cost because this knife is special because it's going to be my daughter's first knife. It is a good knife. That is why I bought it.

Someone coming in off the street, is going to have to think long and hard what Their reasons might be...

What we have here is the most accurate representation of a Kephart knife that has ever been brought to the general public for commercial sales. It’s also damn good at straddling the line between classic and modern sensibilities. The best of both worlds; truly a labor of love. Every aspect of this knife has been studied and scrutinized. I am looking forward to using and learning from this knife.

I am quite all right with the price.

hmm. I guess I'll try to answer the question of why I bought it.
There are only a few knife companies/makers/designers that I choose to support. When a new knife comes out, I have the uncontrollable urge to buy it. Sometimes I have the $, sometimes I dont. This time I did. Often I find the knife isnt for me and I end up trading it for another must have or $'s. I like all kinds of knives.

You have the opinion that it is a 50-60 dollar knife. I have a different opinion. We have an abundance of inexpensive knives that perform well; just look at the Mora line. While I do own a Mora and see it has a value much greater than its 14$ price tag; I dont look down at other knives that cost more. I like all kinds of knives.

This’ll be an interesting thread to keep track of I hope. I know everyone here’s a huge Fanboy/girl of Becker’s, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have open and honest discussions…

I’ll say up front that I haven’t ordered the knife yet. Just waiting on the suppliers north of the border to get stock, so probably won’t be ‘till after Christmas. That being said, I will definitely be ordering one as soon as it gets up here. So, here’s what I can answer...

The tapered tang is part of the original design, and absolutely has to with balance. The easy way to deal with balance is to drill a bunch of holes or skeletonize the tang. Most companies’ll do that. But custom shops do provide distal tapers, for the same reason. Fiddleback comes to mind.

The front swedge is also a nod to the originals convexed shape. An inexpensive solution to hand convexing a mass produced knife. As for the sheath, well you said they’ll be a huge demand for aftermarket ones? I don’t see it that way. Well, maybe from the miscreants on this forum lol, but that’s just because that’s how we roll here. It’s a sheath, it’s leather, looks better than the nylon ones, and holds the knife just fine. For the general public, it’ll do just fine.

As for the price…I won’t lie, I was hoping it’d be closer to the tweener prices, but hopefully it’ll come down as the market dictates. I’ll still be purchasing one, and hoping KA-BAR has great success with it. This is a close reproduction of a historically significant knife, by a well known and respected designer. It deserves a bit of a premium price.

I encourage you to re-read what Ethan has said about this design. How it’s elegant in the hand. How the design wants to cut. How it has everything it needs, and nothing more. And, most importantly, how the knife taught a man with, what, 40? 50? years knife making experience about ergos and design. That’s what has me most excited about this knife. It isn’t a cutting edge tacticool design made in the latest supersteel of the week, but a faithful repro of a simple historical knife. I’m most looking forward to probably spring, after everyone’s fondled the knives for a bit and we see some actual outdoors use of these knives. I’m predicting then we’ll start to see just how this knife will shine.

I do hope you daughter loves her present. And I hope she’ll even let you use it sometimes :D

Supply and demand. Pure and simple.

Beyond that, This is a new knife for Kabar. They may have had to make new tooling to make the knife.

New wooden handles that need sourcing and need to be made.

New made in the USA sheath. Even in bulk I am sure it isn't cheap.

Kabar can't control shipping and tax so you can't hold that against them.

After all that, I hear you buddy. I am not a rich man but I feel once mine arrives I will use it to create memories and learn new skills that far outweigh the cost of the knife.

Jeremy

Tapered tang takes time to do right, look at the buttery smooth primary grind(no grind lines), nice leather sheath, kabar having to tool up to make it. Oh and then there's that silly capitalist idea of making a profit. It all adds up

The value of a knife is a subjective thing in many cases and I think this particular case is reflective of that.

Where you see a knife that is only worth 50-60 bucks, I see a knife that I have been waiting for a very long time to see produced in a satisfactory manner. I have been a fan of Horace Kephart's writings and outdoor philosophies for a very long time and have been waiting for an accurate representation of his knife for just as long. There are a number of custom makers who have made a "Kephart" but knifemakers are also artists and they usually put their own spin on the design. They have rarely grabbed me in the manner that this 62 has.

There are a number of features on this knife that set it apart from most of the Becker lineup:
  1. Uncoated blade - This 62 sports a stonewashed blade and a smooth finish with no visible grind lines. Strip any coated Becker knife and you will see significant grind lines. A coated blades saves time and labor costs when it comes to the finishing process. Perhaps arguably, the 62 is a better finished product than most Becker knives.
  2. Tapered tang - This isn't some sort of gimmicky feature. It reduces weight without sacrificing structural integrity and keeps the balance right where a user will usually want it in a belt knife. Tapered tangs are generally a testament to a knifemaker's skill and though this is a production knife, it is really cool to see that featured on this blade.
  3. Relieved spine - This is a feature that allows the knife to be a more efficient cutter. It will not bind up in material quite so easily and allows the knife to pass through more quickly and efficiently, reducing fatigue on the user's part.
  4. American Walnut scales - Wood scales are a new thing for a Becker knife. Though I understand the design philosophies behind Grivory and its use in most of the Becker lineup, it is not a material that I am fond of. I am enormously grateful that an iconic wood like Walnut is being used for this knife. American Walnut has been used for knives and guns for ages and it speaks to the all-American design of the Kephart. I imagine that there likely will be Grivory options for the 62 in the future, but for now, I am enjoying the classic feel.
  5. Leather sheath - I have never been a fan of the nylon sheaths that Beckers come with. They feel cheap and they generally don't fit the knife all that well. That said, it does allow the user to throw the knife on their belt right out of the box and if you aren't picky like me, you will have a serviceable sheath that will likely never fail. The leather sheath that the 62 comes with is a very nice touch. Though not super fancy, it is sturdy, retains the knife quite well, and adds to the overall value of the knife.
All in all, the BK-62 is a long awaited manifestation of an incredible American pattern, sporting the ruggedness of Kabar manufacturing and its excellent warranty, a thoughtfully recreated example from Ethan with some of his own design touches (screwed construction), and superior fit and finish to most of the Becker lineup.

This knife is worth every penny of what I paid and then some. It will see a lot of belt time.

I am looking forward to reading field reports here. Ethan knows his stuff. When I learned here that the BK62 blade is not convexed I decided to pass and hold out for a shaped one like the originals. Both JK and ML Kephart knives are shorter than the original specs though not shorter than the ones made by Colclesser Bros. I found a new one made by a guy that kept to the original dimensions described by Kephart himself: 4 1/2" blade on a 4 1/2" handle with convex-shaped blade made from 1/8" thick stock. I should receive it tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I can only speak for myself ... having read alot about Horace Kephart and following Ethan's thoughts about him and recreating this knife was exciting to me.

And I have used the word simple to describe this knife ... well that meant that it is a time tested design that follows very closely the ofiginal knife ... maybe a very simple grind/shape/handle/sheath ... as compared to newer designs that have more grind lines and crazy shapes with circus colors ... that cut no better ... and to each their own

and what it doesn't do ...

it doesn't need the newest brightest super steel of the week ...
it doesn't need flashy scale options and colored hardware ...
it doesn't need to be black or pushed to the tactical "tacticool" label ...
it doesn't need a kydex sheath with tecloks and concealed carry rigs ...

what is does do ...

it is a near replica of a piece of history ...
it not only is highly functional with a blade shape and grind that excell at most cutting chores and is very well rounded ... not a task specific specialty ...
it feels good in hand ... and for those of us that care ... it takes us back to a much simplier time with a simple but extremely well designed knife ... one of the most duplicated and respected designs ever ... such as a bowie does ...
it's just over $100.00 price tag for which you get the knife ... the history ... the stories that go along with that ... if you are so inclined to read them ...

so I think it is more than a fair price for a knife I was very excited to see being offered as such a close to original form as possible ...

again I can only speak to myself but ny knife didn't have flaws ... the wood isn't as highly refined and glossed over as many today (again IMHO) for flash to catch your eye ...

but this knife was made to use ... and I am enjoying using it greatly.

As always ... it won't be for everyone ... and that's ok ... I for one am tickled to have it.

Last edited:
The value of a knife is a subjective thing in many cases and I think this particular case is reflective of that.

Where you see a knife that is only worth 50-60 bucks, I see a knife that I have been waiting for a very long time to see produced in a satisfactory manner. I have been a fan of Horace Kephart's writings and outdoor philosophies for a very long time and have been waiting for an accurate representation of his knife for just as long. There are a number of custom makers who have made a "Kephart" but knifemakers are also artists and they usually put their own spin on the design. They have rarely grabbed me in the manner that this 62 has.

There are a number of features on this knife that set it apart from most of the Becker lineup:
  1. Uncoated blade - This 62 sports a stonewashed blade and a smooth finish with no visible grind lines. Strip any coated Becker knife and you will see significant grind lines. A coated blades saves time and labor costs when it comes to the finishing process. Perhaps arguably, the 62 is a better finished product than most Becker knives.
  2. Tapered tang - This isn't some sort of gimmicky feature. It reduces weight without sacrificing structural integrity and keeps the balance right where a user will usually want it in a belt knife. Tapered tangs are generally a testament to a knifemaker's skill and though this is a production knife, it is really cool to see that featured on this blade.
  3. Relieved spine - This is a feature that allows the knife to be a more efficient cutter. It will not bind up in material quite so easily and allows the knife to pass through more quickly and efficiently, reducing fatigue on the user's part.
  4. American Walnut scales - Wood scales are a new thing for a Becker knife. Though I understand the design philosophies behind Grivory and its use in most of the Becker lineup, it is not a material that I am fond of. I am enormously grateful that an iconic wood like Walnut is being used for this knife. American Walnut has been used for knives and guns for ages and it speaks to the all-American design of the Kephart. I imagine that there likely will be Grivory options for the 62 in the future, but for now, I am enjoying the classic feel.
  5. Leather sheath - I have never been a fan of the nylon sheaths that Beckers come with. They feel cheap and they generally don't fit the knife all that well. That said, it does allow the user to throw the knife on their belt right out of the box and if you aren't picky like me, you will have a serviceable sheath that will likely never fail. The leather sheath that the 62 comes with is a very nice touch. Though not super fancy, it is sturdy, retains the knife quite well, and adds to the overall value of the knife.
All in all, the BK-62 is a long awaited manifestation of an incredible American pattern, sporting the ruggedness of Kabar manufacturing and its excellent warranty, a thoughtfully recreated example from Ethan with some of his own design touches (screwed construction), and superior fit and finish to most of the Becker lineup.

This knife is worth every penny of what I paid and then some. It will see a lot of belt time.

I agree with you in principle Padruig, with what you stated.... I'd just like a open discussion for someone who is new to the Kephart design, and may not be familiar with the Becker line of knives..... With This knife we are buying some history, some esoteric style, cult charm, and a pretty good knife.

I've got potentially over $260 tied up in two of these knives (one is a reserved second batch) the other I am in possession of. Compared to all the other Becker line of knives, if we take cost into consideration, these are Up there..... Heck, a bunch of you got the AMAZING package deal of a BK20, BK4, and a BK5 for around $200? (Is that correct?) I'd trade my two, Any day for that level of awesomeness! Tobiism mentioned the need to make profit, and I agree that is a factor.

This is definitely going to be a good knife. I know that, I believe that. I'm glad I bought my daughter one! :)
*As of now, I'm undecided on the second one?

Haha, finally someone besides me liked the original post. I don't agree with everything said, but I like that he was stating what he believes in, in an honest, respectful manner. :thumbsup:

That said, there's really nothing I can add that's not already posted above. I just got my BK62 Kep in, and I freaking love it. :thumbsup:

Haha, finally someone besides me liked the original post. I don't agree with everything said, but I like that he was stating what he believes in, in an honest, respectful manner. :thumbsup:

That said, there's really nothing I can add that's not already posted above. I just got my BK62 Kep in, and I freaking love it. :thumbsup:

It’s always good to hear different perspectives and opinions. I can appreciate Crag the Brewer’s view as it was delivered in a constructive way and expressed his thoughts on the subject.

To be completely honest, this model hasn’t twanged the heartstrings for me (yet...who am I kidding...it’s just a matter of time haha).

Im looking forward to long term reports as all you fine folks get some mileage on this knife and sheath.

The “kephart” knife style is probably the most replicated knife pattern ever. I’ve handled tons and tons of customs and production model kepharts, of which none come close to Ethan’s original. They were all based off the photo or kepharts’s written specs.

The LT Wright genesis might be the most popular semi-custom kephart style knife available. I’ve owned a few of them and they are nothing like Ethan’s original that I’ve been lucky enough to handle.

A more budget-minded version like the condor kephart doesn’t even come close to the original. Just because you follow kephart’s specs and look at a photo, the end product won’t be the kephart.

So what are we paying for with the bk62? We are paying for the only actual kephart knife on the market. Only two other makers have even gotten access to Ethan’s original so unless you are getting one from them (for way way way more $$$) this is your only real kephart option.

This blade is definitely not going to be for everyone. People who aren’t into his writings might not understand the significance. The knife market has really warped what people think a kephart knife is. I think tons of people just think if they put a spear point on a blade they can call it a “kephart”. I’ve seen more than few makers put a spear point on a coke bottle handle and cal it a “modern kephart”.

I can understand and respect the questions from the OP and others also ... I know and believe Ethan even mentioned he didn't think this would be a huge seller ... but he did it kind of as a labor of love towards Kephart himself.

And that aspect caught my attention some ... and I am sure that my father passing not so long ago ... this knife brings back alot of memories of men ... my father included carrying very similar knives ... so the history of the knife is amazing ... and for me ties into my personal history.

And I really am liking this knife ... can't put it down.

We keep saying the word "simple"........ Believe me, I know and appreciate simple!
I always tell people (and they look at me like I'm crazy) that simple is Hard to do.... It takes tons of effort to make things easy! I've worked in fields throughout my life that people seem to want overly complicated solutions to issues. I also am not a fan of fads. I Love old timey products, and I respect their utilitarian aspects. I just was hoping for a little bit more? Really, it is as simple as the handle scales..... because they were the first thing I saw, and what I'm most disappointed in. I would of liked them to be warmer is the best way I can describe my wants. I've been a woodworker for a long time. (to me) walnut/wood is warm and beautiful yet it is strong and capable. It has a life all it's own.... It should "charm" you into wanting to hold them.... They should be alluring.....
These were not. The kids today would say...."Meh".
Yes they felt ok, and after I spend some time fixing them into a nicer looking ones, I'll probably enjoy this knife more like all of you are. I really hope so. After seeing them, I'd really prefer the regular Becker scales.... maybe in a nice dark brown color.... And then KA-BAR could offer a wood aftermarket version. I have a question....If these EXACT walnut scales were an aftermarket item, how much would you have willingly paid for them? I'm curious as to what people think These scales are worth? Because they are my biggest issue....

I also want to say I appreciate how respectful and sincere all of you have been, I don't want to seem like a troll or anything? I love my BK5 & BK9, and want to love this one too!

I hope you do come to enjoy this knife too ... and you having been a woodworker definately plays into how you view wood ... whether a knife handle of a piece of funiture ...

the good news you will have the skill to make them what you want ... or replace them with wood you work with your own hands ... I always find the knives I can put just a little of my personal touch on are ny favorites.

Back