Design the next David Mary Custom knife! - Gooeytek is the winner of the Give Away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My attempts at a better drawing aren't really working . . . But might as well call this final unless I get further inspiration. Thinking 8-9" blade 1)8" to 3/16" thick. Should be a useful camp knife and decent at clearing light brush, and still a bit pokey, can be used to shovel in a pinch. The shading is -supposed- to suggest handle contours . . .IMG_20230712_000230.jpg

Last edited:
I think the top (handle) is your best one, so far..... I'd totally pick it up if I saw it on the table.... Looks super comfortable.

Thank you,Crag!

I've noticed that most modern knife handles aren't tall enough...also way to thin in many cases. I got XL hands, so it's hard for me to find a comfortable knife. I'd argue that the handle is the most important part of a knife.

The scandinavians and finns got their handles down to perfection.

Thank you,Crag!

I've noticed that most modern knife handles aren't tall enough...also way to thin in many cases. I got XL hands, so it's hard for me to find a comfortable knife. I'd argue that the handle is the most important part of a knife.

The scandinavians and finns got their handles down to perfection.
I agree with Everything you just said.
(I've got wide palms, and don't like most knives solely because of handles)

Final entry

I know chances are very slim, but i like this design so much...

Excuse my rather crude rendering, made it on my phone.

Blade length is 3.5" or 90mm

Burlap micarta scales:

Adobe_20230713_175244.jpg

For the weight weenies:

Adobe_20230713_180505.jpg

Last edited:
So far I like the ones in post #s 75, 77 and 81 (mine - I'm biased) the best. But for #75 I think the handle needs to be wider, bc in my experience a near-broomhandle shape moves around too much in the hand when in use.

Final entry.

8BA36F5D-A4CA-412A-BAA7-D8F20E0E791D.jpeg

What a fun idea this was. Thanks so much!

I’m a sucker for contoured wood or brown micarta, glued and pinned with brass. I don’t know why. I guess it’s kind of like a gold-ring Leupold on figured walnut for me.

Screenshot-2023-07-12-at-11-48-15-am.png
What is the purpose of the area of the spine closest to the handle ?

Is top of blade sharpened ?

Just curious ... interesting design ! :cool:

Sounds like a trench knife David. :) The knucks would be the Bonker part.

I'll play too ! This should be good for comic relief at my advanced drawing skills , at least . :p

First and final sketch . In my mind's eye , it's gorgeous ! ☺️

You could make a "hump" on the top SE edge to go with the Bronto theme ...or keep it simple .

Not meant to be to scale or in any way more than a conceptual suggestion . DE brush hook style , serrated one side .

Feel free to go wild, David . 🥳

Hey GAGL if DM doesn't make this you should be able to modify a Fred Perrin Le Bowie Grande to be very very close!

I know 🙂

Been carrying the small one for the last seven years on hundreds of trips. Perfect knife IMO, but sometimes i wish i had something a bit more robust on me, when i'm solo backcountry skiing (stupid thing to do, but so far my prayers have been heard :)

My Version would be much more confidence inspiring, especially when travelling on glaciers and in high altitudes.

Screenshot_20230714_120713_Flickr.jpgScreenshot_20230714_121421_Brave.jpgScreenshot_20230714_120749_Flickr.jpgScreenshot_20230714_121322_Brave.jpgScreenshot_20230714_120621_Flickr.jpgScreenshot_20230714_121309_Brave.jpgScreenshot_20230714_121314_Brave.jpgScreenshot_20230714_121338_Brave.jpgScreenshot_20230714_121331_Brave.jpg
Screenshot_20230714_121304_Brave.jpg

Got more pics but can only attach 10 per post...

Don't want to clutter up the thread much more

🙂

Final

Name: Back Barn
Style: Conservation Knife/Corn/Cane

3/16" AEB-L or 15n20

Standard natural micarta scales.
Copper tubing/epoxy

*That one knife you Always have around the homestead, or campsite. Hanging on a hook or nail. Maybe not the best one to choose, but it's the one you Got.....
Ready for action, or last resort.

Id like to make them lost cost, and accessible.
Something to Beat on. A Ballance between quality and cost.

THANKS

Last edited:
Currawong Currawong I love this design for a working knife, the only thing(for me) would be synthetic scales that extend to include the guard nib. I hate for my index finger to work against a thin steel guard. REALLY nice design there.

For David's fun name to draw out our excesses- his serrations on the spine opposite the chopping sweet spot would look even more "dinosaurus" but would prevent us using palm assist cuts.

In 1/8-5/32 with 8-10" blade, it would be an awesome all around "large knife". In 1/4 with 12" blade, it would be an even better chopper. Possibly even removing body parts from the late Cretaceous Period.
Bill
b1P4Bt4.png

Great looking knife Crag, but, um....

You know if you win, that's going to change, right?
Is that bad slang for something? Idk?
I actually really like the name, but That's Ok...

to me, the "back barn" is the less formal, older, possibly run down barn/area.
Most farms have numerous out buildings, and where the livestock is kept... That's the Nice, fancy barn. That is the money-maker..... But the back barn is almost forgotten, but still useful in it's own way.
Just not as Flashy.... Not "Showy", ...but still gets work done. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back