Desperados Waiting for a Train

73181902_2683649028353238_1954290096266018816_o.jpg

73422514_2683652521686222_892235208990916608_o.jpg

74604646_2683657648352376_2144572360252981248_o.jpg

Amazing pictures guys, theres some really great shots in here!

I've been wanting to do a Cowbell thread for a while, sometimes Stickys hide in plain sight, link below.
Cowbell Sticky
This is a truly beautiful knife. Most thinking humans would never consider using something this pretty. I'm betting that this group will not hesitate to get them covered in blood.

Looks like all the Serranos made it safe and sound as of this morning. Another enjoyable build in the books, let's see where the next one takes us. Judging by the sketches and the steel on my bench, it looks like we're gonna go big or go home!:eek:

Looks like all the Serranos made it safe and sound as of this morning. Another enjoyable build in the books, let's see where the next one takes us. Judging by the sketches and the steel on my bench, it looks like we're gonna go big or go home!:eek:
And now you have 8 happy customers.:thumbsup:

I'm intrigued.
What are the chances of stainless on the next build ??

I'm intrigued.
What are the chances of stainless on the next build ??
Glad you asked this, I wanted to bring this up and explain what is a bit of a dilemma that I have. I've been discussing stainless all week with Tim and I think I've come to a short term conclusion for now.

I do all of my work in house, including heat treat. I try to do things the best way possible erring on the side of results over efficiency. With most stainless steels, a post quench Cryo treatment (think Liquid Nitrogen) or sub-zero (think dry ice bath) can help get the most out of the steel. This is not at all to say that a lack of cryo or sub-zero makes for poor results, but it can increase durability. It begs the question, is the gain worth it? There is an argument that cryo and sub zero treatments don't have a gain that's noticeable on the user end. Others will say it's 100 percent necessary. I'm on the fence, I don't want to offer something unless it's at full potential, but I'm not positive that cryo or subzero makes it full potential.

My issue is logistics, the nearest dry ice to me is about 110 miles away. Which means that in order for me to do a sub-zero quench, my heat treat schedule would revolve around a one or two day window after a 220 mile round trip. I wouldn't have a problem with that if I ran large batches of knives and could schedule full heat treat days. But if you havent noticed, I'm not running large batches.

When it comes to liquid nitrogen, there is an expense in the dewar, and the Liquid Nitrogen itself, either having it delivered, or retrieving it and the biggest detractor for me is that it only lasts for 2-3 months max, which means scheduling annual heat treat or buying it 4 to 6 times a year. That is where I to have to weigh if it's worth it or not for the amount of knives that I make. Will folks pass on my knives if I don't currently offer stainless? That is a possibility. Do I make enough knives now to where they are sitting around not being bought? No, but I do realize it could come to that point any moment. That's why at this point in time, doing my own heat treat on stainless steel doesn't make a lot of sense for me. That brings us to......

Farming out heat treat is always an option. I'm not opposed to it, and have done it before with Pete's Heat Treat Services. Sending out batches of knives can be cost effective especially when you compare the time involved in doing your own heat treat, but the key word there is "batches". I'm still learning my craft and trying to build Redmeadows style. To be honest, sending off batches isn't a good fit for me right now.

Don't get me wrong, I DO plan on offering stainless steel in the future, which will most likely begin with Aebl. I can also see stainless batches cut by waterjet warranting the purchase of a Liquid Nitrogen setup.

I hope that answers your question, if it spurred a thousand more, I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks for the information, John
I can see working with stainless could be a logistical issue for you.
No worries here. Though I prefer stainless, what I've seen from your work on the Serrano build impressed me enough that I can live without stainless for now.

Your leather work is freakin' beautiful. Your handle and blade profiles are nothing short of artistry.
You do the craft proud, my friend.

Keep up the good work.
I look forward to a stainless blade someday. Until then, I'm happy to partake in what you might be banging out in Cut Bank :thumbsup:

Thanks Don, I really appreciate that. I try to keep all the different little skillsets balanced, things like leather work is just as important as any of them and can get overlooked. Glad to have you on board and I appreciate the business.

Back