Did you ever break a knife? Any pics of broken knives?

613D89BE-7E7C-45DB-A9FF-6BE7E6BB0E58.jpeg

Few month old Manix dropped from like 20’ onto concrete. Completely my fault so I didn’t feel like contacting spyderco was appropriate so did the next best thing and found a beater for parts.

Few month old Manix dropped from like 20’ onto concrete. Completely my fault so I didn’t feel like contacting spyderco was appropriate so did the next best thing and found a beater for parts.

That's an odd breakage. Did it land on the blade spine? Typically the front backspacer screws would shear off instead. Spyderco would definitely cover it under warranty, and would probably like to see it for failure analysis.

I know a guy who snapped something like a pin which was stopping the blade for going backwards after 180°, he simply pressed it to cut through cardboard and that vacuum seal plastic package and... it didn't go so well. That knife apparently cost him around 30€ online, with another 7€ for shipping but I don't remember the brand, I think it said K25 on it, it had glass breaker at the bottom too. But that is around the same price I paid for Cold Steel Drop Forged Hunter, and ironically I carried Drop Forged Hunter that day and I cut through that package without an issue.
I was never fond of folders as fixed blades are stronger, simpler and faster to use and easier to maintain. But I do admit that folders do have the charm of their own.
There's so many things that can go wrong with folders as there are moving parts, but that also makes you appreciate a well made folder even more.
Was it a K55 Mercator?

Only knife I have ever had break was the spring on a Queen slipjoint. And I've been using knives daily here on the farm for over 60 years. I've seen others break them, though. Using them like an axe, prybar, cleaver, etc. One friend broke the blade in half at near the middle on a Puma White Hunter, but he still hasn't told me how he did it. I suspect batoning though, and he won't tell me because I've told him my opinion on using a knife for an axe or splitting maul....

Many years ago, when I was in middle school actually, I got a beautiful A.G. Russell fruit knife in black micarta as a birthday present. I left it overnight in a half-way opened position, apparently with a good amount of tension on the spring, and when I woke up in the morning, I found to my dismay that the spring had snapped! A.G. Russell was very nice about it and immediately sent me a new one, no questions asked.

Here's a photo of the knife in question (not my knife, but same model):

htbnv38.jpg

I’ve never broken one but I get broken knives (tips mostly) from friends/co-workers pretty regularly. I’ve only recently started taking pics. Here are some (unfortunately I can’t find “before” or “after” pics for all of these):
B1F0198F-0743-4D3B-88CE-B24D664FC116.jpegCF943AD2-3F55-4DF2-A569-0ACEEDABD76F.jpeg4F0F7177-3EF9-4E50-BCA3-FED64FC56466.jpeg
7076FCDF-1DCA-4160-9C54-4F63E747FF4A.jpeg
23FA9509-C8DC-42C0-AE06-4CC3958DECA2.jpeg
0B1F4208-C855-4607-811C-0D36ADF3DDB9.jpeg
8596ACB0-418F-44DD-8E0E-9CB015A89DC8.jpeg

I just sent an Emerson back for reblading that I thought I had lost last October. I broke the tip and had it sharpened on a belt sander. No pictures of the abused/broken knife unfortunately.

Last edited:
^ Was that INFI ? Kind of shocking,wish i knew more about what happened...

Back