Did your Traditional knife get a workout today? -Part II

Tendrils, Tendrils, run for your life! Here comes Portly with an Olsen knife!
oJu1ZEDL

That' s a great Obiwan Mateo-
I used the punch on my 98 Texas Camp Knife to clean out some old crud and beading/rubber seal from a window frame in readiness for new glass yesterday. That was the first job. Then we attempted to install a 100kg glass door in shop refit at a mall in the northern suburbs of Sydney a 2 hour drive through the middle of the city and over the harbour bridge away-sadly it had been cut wrong and was out by half a fleas but the boss asked me to deploy that "sharp knife of yours" several times to open packages that day. Hes a good guy and an old friend so I'm taking him to the Sydney Knife show on Sunday.

Earlier today, I had to break down a whole 'lotta cardboard at work. I carry a Great Eastern Cutlery #15 Boys Knife from the latest run with acorn shields and 440C blades. When I first started buying and carrying knives again, all I wanted was M390. Just couldn't fall in love with any of the modern folders I tried, though. Not really a fan of high carbon non-stainless steels, I like the way they sharpen and I think patina is cool, but I'd rather not fuss with it in the end.

I have read a lot about edge retention and sharpening and all of that stuff, and I sharpen all my knives myself. I like it as a meditative activity, and I take pride in carrying a knife that is so incredibly sharp that it impresses me.

Anyhow, I wanted to show just how much cardboard I cut up with nothing more than well-tempered 440C (disclaimer - I cut 75% of this, and then a pretty woman stopped by to say hello to me, who happened to have some kind of really cool little damascus bushcrafter that a friend of hers made for her, so she cut a little bit up, too).

28487551680_7f73ccb620_c.jpg

Both of those 96 gallon cans are slam full. The knife doesn't shave anymore, but it still makes clean cuts in the cardboard. 5 minutes on the stones is all it's going to take to bring the edge back to screaming. I think this is a testament to 1) How capable a "lower tech" steel can be, and 2) that thing that knarfeng is always on about... what was it? Oh, yeah, blade geometry!

- Drew

Last edited:
Glad that you're enjoying traditional knives. I have two 15s from the same run and have been very pleased with them. They didn't come sharp from the factory but they do take a very nice edge and I always sharpen my new knives anyway. It's hard to believe that they only made 100 of each cover for that run. I think this is one of those patterns that they should churn out as many as they are able.

...No photos of the pretty lady and her knife?? ;) :D

I have been very pleasantly surprised with how my CSC forum knife in 440c(?) has handled everything I've thrown at it. The sheepsfoot blade alone has logged in many hours of whittling, and I have have maintained the edge almost solely with a strop. I think it has touched the stones 2 or 3 times since receiving it.

Great to see a traditional with 440C at work. My wife had a similar experience yesterday with 1095 - we had a new 3-piece suite delivered and it came cocooned in cardboard and plastic sheeting (probably about 20 square yards in total) so while I attached two dozen feet to the furniture, Claire took a calf roper stockman that she has become fond of and sheepfooted the whole lot into bin sized squares.

No photos were taken I'm afraid as we were just too busy, I'll snap a pic of it all later if I get the chance.

Btw; have a wee scoobie at this thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Traditional-knife-get-a-workout-today-Part-II

- Paul

The gentlemanly solution to the indecision of one's cake eating partner (chocolate and coffee torte or chocolate cake) - share ;)

Just finished up a floating shelf. The 81 helped me rough the edges up and give a look I wanted before staining. Just a hair from level but it turned out ok. I threw a few things up there just for show but the tubes and mason jar are staying.

Beautiful shelf, Brett! Mine had it easy compared to yours. Just a little light dinner prep.

IMG_20160816_113657.jpg

Thank you Daniel. Dinner prep is always a more tasteful and enjoyable duty for a pocket knife. :D:thumbup:

My knives get used often.

See before and after...

Attachments

• 20160823_151804-1.jpg
    20160823_151804-1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20160823_183929-1.jpg
    20160823_183929-1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 54
Back