Disappointed once again by Survive!. S!K issues are getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale Storm

Kydex Whisperer
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm wondering, since the old thread about misleading ship and lead times was locked, if people are still having the same issue. Personally, I haven't seen any real changes since November when the "big change" was supposed to occur. Also, I noticed there are plenty of F2's being worked on while older orders for firsts have not been processed. And I also saw where Guy had time to give someone a tour of the shop when they visited. Seems that someone else could have done that while work continued since people are still waiting on knives that are beyond overdue.

What I have noticed the most is that I continue to call and email about my order and I have yet to see my knife ship according to what I was told. My last attempt at getting some info is below and guess what? Yep, you guessed it. NO shipping notice.

So, my question is, have people just given up and/or adopted a "head in the sand" approach to the way S!K is treating their customers? It seems nothing has changed from late last year, or the year before that either.

Am I the only one upset that S!K continues to give me a shipping date and never ships my knife? I've been told 3 different times either on the phone or in email that my knife would ship in a short amount of time. The latest was this week when I was told it would ship this week.
Have so many customers moved on from Survive! that only the die hards, uninitiated newbies, and fanboys remain?

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here and Lord knows I've bi**hed and moaned enough about it but I'm just wondering why they are suddenly getting a pass? Did all the other customers get their knives or refunds and move on?

I read a thread last night about Nocturnal Knives and the guy was scamming and stealing from customers, etc. I realize he ended up being a scammer and had bad intentions from the start, but at the beginning he was just another maker who "got behind" and "had issues come up" that kept him from meeting his deadlines.

He was crucified and burned at the stake long before it became known that he was out to scam people all along.

Anyway, YES, I want S!K to make it. I think they raise the bar for what affordable quality in a fixed blade really is. Hell, I think they ARE the benchmark standard to which everyone else should aspire to when it comes to quality vs. value. But, unfortunately, the truth is the truth.

I've made some great friends here in this forum and it appears I may have lost a few over these Survive! issues. I still maintain that I should have the courage and integrity to ask this question: When does a lie become a lie? I have spoken with Ellie and Jordyn on the phone and email. I keep getting told (Since NOVEMBER) that it's "a couple weeks", "Next week", "this week" etc. for my knife to ship. Still no shipping notice.

How does someone keep doing this and not get held accountable for it? Would I, or any of you want that reputation? Why not just tell me the truth?

Something along the lines of, "Ronnie, we are not sure when your knife will be finished. I realize you ordered a pre-sale 2.7 in July that we thought we could ship in "a couple months" and it is now March. We are working as fast as we can but I cannot give a you a timeline as of today on when your knife will ship".
Or even, "You've complained so much that you are now at the top of our S**T list and your 2.7 will be the last one to leave our shop and we hope once you get it, you will go away and never come back". At least it would be the truth.

I see all the new posts in the S!K forum and want to jump in and have fun, and post pics, and enjoy it. Somehow, the thrill is just not there anymore. I hope that changes. I still want a GSO 10 and 12.

Am I the only one left that is still upset? I hope my friends can chime in here and tell me what is what and if I'm all alone in left field here.

Here's my email from my last inquiry.

Hi Ronnie,

Ellie has informed me that your order will be shipping out this week. You will receive a shipping notification and tracking number when your order has been shipped. We appreciate your patience.

Thank you,

Jordyn

Info@SurviveKnives.com

Please sign up for the SURVIVE! newsletter and check out the Production Schedule for regular updates!

Sent: Monday, February 27, 2017 8:08 AM
To: SURVIVE! <info@surviveknives.com>
Subject: Re: SURVIVE! 1st Friday Update

"Most GSO-2.7 Preorders have shipped, the few that remain are being finished up over this weekend. Presale orders will be shipping out over the next few weeks".

Can I get an update on my order please. I ordered in the July Presale for a 2.7 in 20CV.

Order #9796.

Thanks

From: SURVIVE! <info=surviveknives.com@mail26.atl91.mcsv.net> on behalf of SURVIVE! <info@surviveknives.com>
Sent: Friday, February 3, 2017 12:06 PM
To: haleronnie@hotmail.com
Subject: SURVIVE! 1st Friday Update

Thank you for your interest in SURVIVE!

February 2016

1st Friday Production Update:
Current Production:
•Most GSO-2.7 Preorders have shipped, the few that remain are being finished up over this weekend. Presale orders will be shipping out over the next few weeks.
•GSO-4.1 Preorders are being finished out, shipping notices coming soon!
•We will be working on the GSO-7/7 Preorders alongside GSO-4.1 orders.
•GSO-4 Limited blades are in our workshop, where Guy is doing any necessary hand grinding before they head to heat treating.
•The GSO-3.5 is at production grinding.
•The SURVIVE! Workshop is also working on Weekly Sales and "90 Day" GSO-4.7 orders. We will be fulfilling those in the order that they are due.

Future Production:
•Production is scheduled to continue in the following order: &#9702;GSO-12
&#9702;GSO-6
&#9702;GSO-4.5 Bushcraft
&#9702;GSO-10
&#9702;GSO-8

•The following knives will be added to the Production Schedule as soon as we have steel to start cutting them out: &#9702;GSO-5.1
&#9702;Necker and Necker II

I don't think anyone is doing the "head in the sand" thing, but rather they're just tired of beating a dead horse. I have completely moved on from S!K and my 2 on order will be the last 2 I ever pay them for unless they have something ready to ship in a week's time or less. I'm super extra disappointed too but I'll show that by spending my money elsewhere until they fix whatever issues they're dealing with. I want them to make it, I like them as a company (I did anyway), and after a few phone calls with Guy around the time of the Starter I like him too. But as for this bs with me waiting on a 12 for over 2 years after I was told, by Guy on the phone, that it would be done by the end of 2015.. I'm done until I see progress. Once they overcome whatever this is (whether it be just being in over their heads or something they're doing wrong) I'll gladly spend my money with SURVIVE! again because, again, I like their product and their attitude. And I'd REALLY like a new 6 so I'm praying they fix their issues post haste.

I'm wondering, since the old thread about misleading ship and lead times was locked, if people are still having the same issue. Personally, I haven't seen any real changes since November when the "big change" was supposed to occur. Also, I noticed there are plenty of F2's being worked on while older orders for firsts have not been processed. And I also saw where Guy had time to give someone a tour of the shop when they visited. Seems that someone else could have done that while work continued since people are still waiting on knives that are beyond overdue.

What I have noticed the most is that I continue to call and email about my order and I have yet to see my knife ship according to what I was told. My last attempt at getting some info is below and guess what? Yep, you guessed it. NO shipping notice.

So, my question is, have people just given up and/or adopted a "head in the sand" approach to the way S!K is treating their customers? It seems nothing has changed from late last year, or the year before that either.

Am I the only one upset that S!K continues to give me a shipping date and never ships my knife? I've been told 3 different times either on the phone or in email that my knife would ship in a short amount of time. The latest was this week when I was told it would ship this week.
Have so many customers moved on from Survive! that only the die hards, uninitiated newbies, and fanboys remain?

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here and Lord knows I've bi**hed and moaned enough about it but I'm just wondering why they are suddenly getting a pass? Did all the other customers get their knives or refunds and move on?

I read a thread last night about Nocturnal Knives and the guy was scamming and stealing from customers, etc. I realize he ended up being a scammer and had bad intentions from the start, but at the beginning he was just another maker who "got behind" and "had issues come up" that kept him from meeting his deadlines.

He was crucified and burned at the stake long before it became known that he was out to scam people all along.

Anyway, YES, I want S!K to make it. I think they raise the bar for what affordable quality in a fixed blade really is. Hell, I think they ARE the benchmark standard to which everyone else should aspire to when it comes to quality vs. value. But, unfortunately, the truth is the truth.

I've made some great friends here in this forum and it appears I may have lost a few over these Survive! issues. I still maintain that I should have the courage and integrity to ask this question: When does a lie become a lie? I have spoken with Ellie and Jordyn on the phone and email. I keep getting told (Since NOVEMBER) that it's "a couple weeks", "Next week", "this week" etc. for my knife to ship. Still no shipping notice.

How does someone keep doing this and not get held accountable for it? Would I, or any of you want that reputation? Why not just tell me the truth?

Something along the lines of, "Ronnie, we are not sure when your knife will be finished. I realize you ordered a pre-sale 2.7 in July that we thought we could ship in "a couple months" and it is now March. We are working as fast as we can but I cannot give a you a timeline as of today on when your knife will ship".
Or even, "You've complained so much that you are now at the top of our S**T list and your 2.7 will be the last one to leave our shop and we hope once you get it, you will go away and never come back". At least it would be the truth.

I see all the new posts in the S!K forum and want to jump in and have fun, and post pics, and enjoy it. Somehow, the thrill is just not there anymore. I hope that changes. I still want a GSO 10 and 12.

Am I the only one left that is still upset? I hope my friends can chime in here and tell me what is what and if I'm all alone in left field here.

Here's my email from my last inquiry.

Hi Ronnie,

Ellie has informed me that your order will be shipping out this week. You will receive a shipping notification and tracking number when your order has been shipped. We appreciate your patience.

Thank you,

Jordyn

Info@SurviveKnives.com

Please sign up for the SURVIVE! newsletter and check out the Production Schedule for regular updates!

Sent: Monday, February 27, 2017 8:08 AM
To: SURVIVE! <info@surviveknives.com>
Subject: Re: SURVIVE! 1st Friday Update

"Most GSO-2.7 Preorders have shipped, the few that remain are being finished up over this weekend. Presale orders will be shipping out over the next few weeks".

Can I get an update on my order please. I ordered in the July Presale for a 2.7 in 20CV.

Order #9796.

Thanks

From: SURVIVE! <info=surviveknives.com@mail26.atl91.mcsv.net> on behalf of SURVIVE! <info@surviveknives.com>
Sent: Friday, February 3, 2017 12:06 PM
To: haleronnie@hotmail.com
Subject: SURVIVE! 1st Friday Update

Thank you for your interest in SURVIVE!

February 2016

1st Friday Production Update:
Current Production:
•Most GSO-2.7 Preorders have shipped, the few that remain are being finished up over this weekend. Presale orders will be shipping out over the next few weeks.
•GSO-4.1 Preorders are being finished out, shipping notices coming soon!
•We will be working on the GSO-7/7 Preorders alongside GSO-4.1 orders.
•GSO-4 Limited blades are in our workshop, where Guy is doing any necessary hand grinding before they head to heat treating.
•The GSO-3.5 is at production grinding.
•The SURVIVE! Workshop is also working on Weekly Sales and "90 Day" GSO-4.7 orders. We will be fulfilling those in the order that they are due.

Future Production:
•Production is scheduled to continue in the following order: &#9702;GSO-12
&#9702;GSO-6
&#9702;GSO-4.5 Bushcraft
&#9702;GSO-10
&#9702;GSO-8

•The following knives will be added to the Production Schedule as soon as we have steel to start cutting them out: &#9702;GSO-5.1
&#9702;Necker and Necker II

"Disappointed once again by Survive!. S!K issues are getting old."

^ Getting old??? This has been S!K's M.O., for at least the past year. You pre-ordered your S!K in July...thank you for reminding me why, I lost interest in wanting to buy one of their very nice quality knives.

Good luck, R. :thumbup:

As always, thanks for chiming in with yet another useful post, Kelama. I'm sorry you couldn't acquire one to flip in a more timely manner. :(

Hale Storm: After i received my 4.7 CPM 154 I let out a huge sigh of relief and yes, "moved on". I would never even attempt to order another knife from them.

As always, thanks for chiming in with yet another useful post, Kelama. I'm sorry you couldn't acquire one to flip in a more timely manner. :(

How does Kelama even sniff these threads out?! Seriously, I'm not even trying to be cute or anything like that and I give the OP all the due rights and respect to express his frustration, plus I do understand that Kelama is a very proactive participant on the GB&U section of the forums, but to find him here so quickly???!!!

Speaking for myself, I've decided to wait patiently for the several knives that I have on order with Survive.
I do regret the extremely long wait times and the inability of Survive to meet their own production goals.
When I see someone new asking about ordering a Survive knife I politely (I hope) inform them that the wait time is very long.
They can then make their own informed decision, just as I have.

How does Kelama even sniff these threads out?! Seriously, I'm not even trying to be cute or anything like that and I give the OP all the due rights and respect to express his frustration, plus I do understand that Kelama is a very proactive participant on the GB&U section of the forums, but to find him here so quickly???!!!

He's bored and seeks out drama.

Keyword search on well known words that often get used in threads like this. My guess? "Disappointed".

"Disappointed once again by Survive!. S!K issues are getting old."

^ Getting old??? This has been S!K's M.O., for at least the past year. You pre-ordered your S!K in July...thank you for reminding me why, I lost interest in wanting to buy one of their very nice quality knives.

Good luck, R. :thumbup:

You're missing out man.
I have found through extensive research that a Survive! Knife works best when I'm out on the beach desecrating the remains of a seal so I can make a wetsuit. [emoji19]

This month marks 2 years since I "invested" in 4.1. It seems the first Friday updates continue to tout innovation in factory processes and improvement is just around the corner. We will see a vast improvement "next month". Expect shipping notices soon. Would have been this month but the production crew(Guy?) was ravaged with illness. Always something. I feel like I loaned money to a drug addict or gambler. I just want my f'in knife so I can move on. I'm not sure if I will even be able to use it. Screw Guy, Ellie and Survive! Liars all of them.

S!K really messed up things up with a large number of potential fans. They should have closed the pre-orders, fulfilled those in the estimated time and moved on. Instead they keep on taking new orders despite not having fulfilled the original orders TWO YEARS AGO.
I was excited to order a S!K. But I'll never order from them again. Companies only have one chance with new customers. They blew their one chance with a whole lot of new customers....

I have a couple Survive knives- 10, 3.5, 4.1. Alll Gen 1. I would like a few Gen 2's but will not order until things are straightened out.

I pointed out that 2nds weren't selling out in record time... no comments.

Haven't seen any Ugly Bettys lately...

I can't imagine why Hale storm is pissed...

https://surviveknives.com/account.php?action=view_orders

Home/My Account:

Completed

See all completed orders you've placed at SURVIVE!. You can also print invoices from this page.

Order Date: Jul 18th 2016
Your Order Contains:

1 x GSO-2.7 Factory 2nd
(Steel: CPM-20CV Factory 2nd, Handles: Black G10, Fasteners (see product description for updated details): Black Oxide, Sheath Color: No Sheath, I will provide my own! - $15)

Sep 28th 2016 USPS (Free USPS shipping)

I too have a number of first generation knives and have a few of the newer ones on order. I am a bit disappointed that it is taking so long to receive my orders, but as long as Survive! is in business and producing top quality knives, I will wait. I'll definitely wait until all of my orders have been filled before ordering more (unless a sweet one comes along that is on hand). &#128522;

At this point, after all that has been said and done, it may be best to let the air clear and allow Survive! to focus on what they need to, to move forward. Continued negativity probably isn't helping anyone.

The OP makes some valid points and yes, unfulfilled statements of action can technically be construed as lies, but I think that in this case, Guy and crew are doing their best (which maybe could use some help on the business side of things) they know how to fill orders and continue to produce a top quality product. I'm guessing that the wildly optimistic promises of delivery are somewhat easier for the crew to face than the possible and direct wrath of a customer being hit with the blunt truth. Though I'm all for flat out truth, it sometimes is more painful for some folks than the more evasive path.
But, the evasive path often ends up getting one bit in the butt.&#128556;

Something that would give me, and l'd guess others, a bit more calm in this situation, is if we could see the actual number and model of finished knives leaving the shop every week - maybe attached to the weekly updates. This may or may not be desirable or feasible for Survive!, but it might give everyone involved an idea of how hard the crew is working.

I apologize for the overly long comments. I don't post a lot because it often takes way too many words for me to get a few (and probably obvious) points across. Mike

Continued negativity probably isn't helping anyone.

It helped me! Without the public airing of this laundry, I would have tried to order a S!K. Due to the public complaints I was spared disappointment. I eventually got a comparable product for my needs from the (surprisingly) more available Busse Combat folks.

It helped me! Without the public airing of this laundry, I would have tried to order a S!K. Due to the public complaints I was spared disappointment. I eventually got a comparable product for my needs from the (surprisingly) more available Busse Combat folks.

In this respect, I can agree with you. I probably cost Survive! an order by telling a friend who was asking about them that they make great knives, but it may take quite a bit of time to receive it. I have no issues with the facts. I just think that there has been a bit too much purely nasty flinging of physiologically processed food at times. Mike

Thursday night I checked the SK! Website and was surprised to see 4.1 2nds left from Wednesday. I picked my options and even declined a sheath hoping that would speed up the order. As I was about to checkout, I had a moment of clarity and asked myself "What the heck am I doing? Am I nuts?" :confused: Promptly closed browser and walked away.

I can't fathom how somebody could be so blasé about their reputation in a world so insular as cutlery! If it were me I'd be explaining to the Nth degree to my customers as to how things have arrived at this point.

Thanks goodness for a kind board member who accommodated my desire for a 3V 4.7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back